Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Are there any other apps other than azul that can play videos at different speeds? Specifically mp4? Azul does an okay job but it will start to stutter after a short period of time when playing back video at 1.5 or 2.0 speed.

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Other memory

I have AV Player HD on my ipad 2 and I have started to notice that when I add videos to the app, it will gradually start to increase the amount of memory taken up by "other" when plugged into iTunes. I can't think of anything else that would do this except for this app. I know that it is not the size of the video that increases the "other"section of the memory. That shows p in the "apps"section. The only way to reduce it again is to do a full restore of the ipad which gets it down to 0.52GB. But after a while it gradually creeps up to over 1GB.
Does any one else have experience of this? And how do I stop it doing this?

Many thanks.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have AV Player HD on my ipad 2 and I have started to notice that when I add videos to the app, it will gradually start to increase the amount of memory taken up by "other" when plugged into iTunes. I can't think of anything else that would do this except for this app. I know that it is not the size of the video that increases the "other"section of the memory. That shows p in the "apps"section. The only way to reduce it again is to do a full restore of the ipad which gets it down to 0.52GB. But after a while it gradually creeps up to over 1GB.
Does any one else have experience of this? And how do I stop it doing this?

Many thanks.

Instead of a full restore, did you try just deleting and, then, reinstalling the app?

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Instead of a full restore, did you try just deleting and, then, reinstalling the app?

Yeah I tried that and it only works sometimes. Have you come across this before?
And I know it's not really on topic. But I have a few mkv files with a resolution of 1280x544 and want to change this to 1280x720 so I don't get such big black lines at top. Is there a way to do this? Maybe remuxing? I've started to use yaplayer rather than av player and can't change screen resolution like you cold in av player hd.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Robilar

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
That is unfortunate regarding AVPlayer HD.

I have it on my wife's IPad 2 and it works well.

Is there a way to transfer the app to my new IPad mini (Which has a separate Apple ID)?

If that is not the case, could someone recommend which current player to download (paid or otherwise)?

I primarily watch MP4 or AVI files with the odd mkv file.

Thanks

NVM, I figured out how to transfer AVPlayerHD to the IPad Mini.

Last edited:

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
What about free apps? Isn't the infringement from selling the app commercially? Even if that is the case, I doubt there are any apps around that are good players and free? Do you know of any free ones that have dropped AC-3? Wonder if there is a loop hole in making an app free then charging for all the other codecs, i.e. the price of the app as an iap while keeping the ac-3 playback free, doubt it but be interested to know.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What about free apps? Isn't the infringement from selling the app commercially? Even if that is the case, I doubt there are any apps around that are good players and free? Do you know of any free ones that have dropped AC-3? Wonder if there is a loop hole in making an app free then charging for all the other codecs, i.e. the price of the app as an iap while keeping the ac-3 playback free, doubt it but be interested to know.

Qqplayer, MoliPlayer are both free but still forced to drop AC3.

Airees

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Hello.

I was just wondering if someone got any news about when AVplayer returns to appstore? I am getting kinda mad now because apple just destroy...cant watch my videos on my iPad!

Thanks.
Airees.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hello.

I was just wondering if someone got any news about when AVplayer returns to appstore? I am getting kinda mad now because apple just destroy...cant watch my videos on my iPad!

Thanks.
Airees.

Not known yet. Convert your videos' AC3 track or, if your problem isn't the lack of AC-3 support but MKV playback in general, remux.

adammsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
i like azul and aceplayer

ace often goes free. good thing is that it allows samba access (to my NAS :) )

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How much is the AC3 licensing cost? MPEG2 is just about $2.5 USD per unit. AC3 shouldn't be too far.

They're asking for a LOT of money (around $1/copy + $20-$30k annual fee, independent of actual sales) - this is why, so far, no iOS dev has licensed their technology, except for their long-time partner, the CineXplayer devs. The latter may have to pay far less, being a long-time licensor and the other players being, IMHO, punished by Dolby with incredibly high, unpayable licensing fees.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
new app just came out that supports ac3. Its iphone/ipod touch only app but its actually pretty good and free. get it before its gone and back it up.

Search Directplayer in the app store. There are also some other apps still with ac3 support, but they are in chinese.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
new app just came out that supports ac3. Its iphone/ipod touch only app but its actually pretty good and free. get it before its gone and back it up.

Search Directplayer in the app store. There are also some other apps still with ac3 support, but they are in chinese.

Thanks, testing it and will publish a writeup very soon.

netant

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
They're asking for a LOT of money (around $1/copy + $20-$30k annual fee, independent of actual sales) - this is why, so far, no iOS dev has licensed their technology, except for their long-time partner, the CineXplayer devs. The latter may have to pay far less, being a long-time licensor and the other players being, IMHO, punished by Dolby with incredibly high, unpayable licensing fees.

Is Dolby obligated to license in a 'Reasonable and non-discriminatory' way?
If, like you said in a different post, CINEXPLAYER (or whatever it called, it's horrible compare to olayer/goodplayer) can license ac3 for about $1.

described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_and_non-discriminatory_licensing

I need goodplayer/oplayer to watch my movies...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It's supposed to work with iPad but it doesn't. Too bad if like to grab iPad version and back that up.

It does work on the iPad.

Is Dolby obligated to license in a 'Reasonable and non-discriminatory' way?

They could come up with a licensing construction that is viable for most devs. Not $25k / year lincesing fees and other punishments.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
It does work on the iPad.

----------

The reason for CineXPlayer's being able to license AC-3 may be that they have been a long-time partner of Dolby, meaning far less license fees, lack of annual fees etc.

Currently, as I've also explained in my just-published, dedicated article (see https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16401674 ), iOS devs just can't afford to pay ~$25k annually, and, on top of that, the $1/piece license. They have, generally, far less income from those players.

----------

They could come up with a licensing construction that is viable for most devs. Not $25k / year lincesing fees and other punishments.

Ya it will work on iPad but in iPhone compatibility mode. If you look at the AppStore link there is an iPad tab and pics meaning there is a screw up somewhere.

yoot123

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
can someone reach the developers of Its Playing and inform them how 8player got ac3 working . thanks

wake1

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Has anyone tried nplayer? I've found it quite good. On par with avplayer hd I would say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.