Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Apple...

You had me. Every year, once a year. You had me buying a phone.

Switch to the "Android handset lifecycle" and you'll lose me. I'll buy a new device on an "as needed" basis (i.e. mine breaks) rather than an "as wanted" basis.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Apple...

Switch to the "Android handset lifecycle" and you'll lose me. I'll buy a new device on an "as needed" basis (i.e. mine breaks) rather than an "as wanted" basis.

If they don't adapt they will slowly and slowly keep losing market share.

They have to make more product.

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
Normally I would have doubted this claim, but given Apple's surprise release of the iPad 4 after only 6 months, I think it's entirely possible now.

I don't like the new trend of a 6 month cycle. That is way too fast to work out all the kinks. Their phones are going to become as buggy and crappy as the Androids are. Blah.

And then they're back-ordered for a month or more. So why would I want to order something, wait a month for it, only to know that I have 5 months left before it's outdated again?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
A summer release for the full sized iPad is far enough past christmas that people won't hold back on buying one, which I think the March schedule sort of lead to. I also doubt that Apple intends for the fairly minor 4th gen iPad revision to last for a whole 12 months. It seems obvious to me that they would move the full sized iPad to the iPad Mini's body style (thinner, flat back) if they could, but they're waiting on the IGZO screen tech to make it happen.

This is my thinking also.

It seems to me that the IGZO display technology is going to be the next jump that makes smartphones thinner and lighter while providing longer battery life. I think that everyone is going to want to bring this technology to market in their product line as quickly as possible.

However, I don't think it will be an iPhone 5S. I think they will call it the iPhone 6 and then expect a 6S when the A7 chip is ready.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
If a new phone comes out less than 11 months from the release of the iPhone, it will be the first iPhone I won't own.

It's bad enough I get a new one each year, twice a year is a big no.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
This is good news!

There are a bunch of phones coming out in the 2nd quarter of 2013 where it will be very interesting.

1. Windows: Rumored Surface phone, software on other WP 8 will be improved considerably.

2. RIM: Blackberry 10 based on Unix OS (expect this to be nice).

3. Android: Samsung Galaxy S4 and others from HTC and LG with 1080p 5" screens being super thin/lightweight with more than 2 day battery life. The Nexus 4 and 10 will be readily available on the Google Play Store always unlocked. You can expect Samsung to come up with 1 more flagship phone by summer as well.

browneb

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Hedgesville, WV
That coincides nicely with my upgrade, which is in May, IF this is even close to being true. That's how I ended up with my current iPhone 4S. Yes…I waited until it's Fall release. Guess I'll have a 5S! :)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Apple...

Agreed. But Apple won't care. They'll get those people who couldn't upgrade to the iPhone 5 but can upgrade in 3 more months to the iPhone 5S - and so forth. Rather than the once a year cycle were if the iphone 5 was released 6 months ago and you know the iphone 5S is coming out in 6 months, you'll wait. So Apple gets a sale 6 months sooner.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Normally I would have doubted this claim, but given Apple's surprise release of the iPad 4 after only 6 months, I think it's entirely possible now.

I still view this move as a necessity for Apple. The iPhone, iPad mini, iPod Touch and iPod Nano all moved to the new lightning connector. I don't see how they could have held off on putting the lightning connector in the full-size iPad. They also had to make sure that everything was at least on par with the mini (i.e. cameras, cellular).

Sep 10, 2012
Oh GIVE IT A BREAK!

Why don't Apple concentrate on perfecting the current models, first ... ie start shipping iPads without dust behind the screen!

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Really dislike how Apple releases new stuff in 1 year or in a half year. Because they know people have the "I need the latest and greatest" mindset.

But with a 1/2 year regular release schedule, at least people don't delay purchase and fret too much about timing.

I'm still enjoying my iPad 1 but I don't know how to time my next purchase (which is not entirely necessary). Mini/full size complicates that as well.

So while I'm not wasting money buying new models of each release, I'm spending time researching and deliberating.

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
I just bought iPhone 5 but will buy 5 S

You sir are sad. And the reason Apple is exploiting people like you. Good on you. You'll end up in debt while Apple ate laughing to the bank, What will you have to show for it? OH debt collectors chasing you.

These new breads of fanboys and I need latest is why Appke will change to a six month circle with hardly any gains in the product but more money for Apple.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I want a bigger screen. The GS3's 4.8 inch is awesome. Not everyone has little dainty hands and can't handle it.

If this means the iPhone 6 comes a couple of months faster, I'm all for it. 5s summer 2013. Lets go.
You will get your bigger screen

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I suspect we are going to see a re-alignment of all releases. Right now things are getting too intense at the end of the year

I could see something like:

end of Q2 - iPhone release (tick-tock releases); full iPad release
end of Q3 - mini iPad for Christmas season; iPod releases

I'd prefer they moved computer releases to a similar schedule

end of Q2 - MB releases for school season (tick-tick-tick-tock?)
end of Q3 - desktop releases

I don't think that level of predictability would hurt them much.

I've been speculating that 2013 looks like this based on a number of factors that include recent releases and new organization within Apple:

Spring - iTunes Streaming Music Service (Cue)
Summer - OS X, Macs (Federighi, Ive)
Fall - iOS, iPhones, iPads (Federighi, Ive)

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
If a new phone comes out less than 11 months from the release of the iPhone, it will be the first iPhone I won't own.

It's bad enough I get a new one each year, twice a year is a big no.

I agree, but careful what you say. I was summarily trounced on this base for complaining about the iPad 4. Prepare yourself for people saying "but your phone still works... what are you complaining about" etc. etc.

Someone else mentioned the need vs. want mentality of buying Apple products, and I think that's astute. I decided after the release of iPad 4 that it was a need thing from now on for me. Keeping up with this and getting upset when Apple revs things 'too quickly' is exhausting both financially and emotionally. I'll get whatever device is newest when the old one breaks. Thankfully, Apple is still more or less okay with reverse compatibility. If they start to rev the software such that it won't work on hardware less than three years old, then they lose me entirely.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Apple...

You can still do that if Apple releases more than one phone a year... unless you have fallen victim of the "I need the latest and the greatest" mindset, which I assume you have.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
You can still do that if Apple releases more than one phone a year... unless you have fallen victim of the "I need the latest and the greatest" mindset, which I assume you have.

I'm assuming the same. He won't look as cool when walking in a crowd with an outdated(6 months) old iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.