Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Ten hours of battery life sounds nice, but might Apple take advantage of the low-power CPU to reduce the battery size, making the laptop thinner?

I'm sure other PC vendors will be putting in the same size battery and then bragging about how awesome their battery life is.

LiveinRiot

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
CIO text said:
"Based on the different power requirements, Intel has also splintered future Haswell chips into two families, which will be available in ultrabooks starting next year. A new family of unnamed Haswell processors will draw under 10 watts of power and will be targeted at convertible ultrabooks. The company is also continuing the venerable Core processors that consume between 15 watts and 17 watts of power. "

CIO text said:
PC makers have quoted ultrabooks with Ivy Bridge delivering battery life of between six and eight hours, and up to 10 hours in some cases. The new chips could give convertible ultrabooks battery life of more than 12 hours, and perhaps up to 20 hours.

I think Apple will redesign the MacBook Air model for a thinner, lighter, or will use a more powerful processor, though I prefer a battery life of between 10 ~ 12h. Because with a better autonomy with their laptops, the iPad will have a part of their sales suffer on account of a group buy just for its battery life.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
A thinner lighter mba?! How much thinner could you make it? I has to be the width of a usb socket unless they go full thunderbolt and maybe mini usb.....

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
A thinner lighter mba?! How much thinner could you make it? I has to be the width of a usb socket unless they go full thunderbolt and maybe mini usb.....

Remember it's an illusion.. There's quite a bit of depth below that geometric knife of a triangle.. Or do they keep that bulge on purpose to make it easier to lift your MBA? Or just for the thin illusion while adding space for components?

----------

Ten hours of battery life sounds nice, but might Apple take advantage of the low-power CPU to reduce the battery size, making the laptop thinner?

I'm sure other PC vendors will be putting in the same size battery and then bragging about how awesome their battery life is.

I think there will be a balance between thin and more battery so maybe 8.5 hrs? (Assuming Haswell gives 10 hrs of course). This may be because of the addition of retina so they may need the additional battery to at least maintain that current 7 hrs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.