Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which color you prefer and why, iPad Mini Black vs White?

• iPad mini Black & Slate

Votes: 155 46.0%
  • iPad mini White & Silver

Votes: 141 41.8%
  • Who cares, I'm using a cover

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 33 9.8%

• Total voters

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
I didn't want the fingerprints and went with white. It does not seem unprofessional to me but your choice of covers might make a difference. I will be getting a keyboard cover eventually and that will totally change the look of it. For now I have the very unprofessional green Smart Cover.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I like both but ended up ordering the black mainly because of the plastic strip for the LTE version. The black strip blends in nicely with the slate black, while the white plastic seems a bit out of place, and potentially gets dirty easily...though hard to tell without seeing it in person.

Last edited:

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Found these two pics from the apple site.

Attachments

• Black mini.jpg
    Black mini.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,595
  • White mini.jpg
    White mini.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,192

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I preordered a white one. Then I saw both in the shop side-by-side and decided I preferred the black one. I'll probably put a skin on it anyway, but I really do love the black!

rebelmac

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
I have black and it is a fingerprint magnet. Yesterday I installed a Wrapsol back skin, which is clear matte finish. IMO, it looks better than the original finish and eliminates fingerprints all while protecting from scratches. I love their back skins, but don't use their screen protectors.

If you like the black better you could go this route. I like the black much better than the silver and white combo.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
The white for the wifi and the black for the LTE. The white antenna band just doesn't flow.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Preordered black, then saw them in person and changed my mind and decided to buy the white. Much nicer IMO.

Have decided to give the black away as a gift, the person getting the black one will be very happy with it as well, having commented from pictures that they like the black.

Everyone has their own taste.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I'm always a fan of the white version of Apple products, but this time I went with the black/slate one. I had all intentions of purchasing the white mini, but once I saw them both in person I thought the black looked MUCH sleeker and appealing. The back is very stealthy and I love that with the black bezels around the screen the display kind of melts into the borders, it's cool.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
We got one black and one white to differentiate them. But now I have regrets. I know white was popular back when it was a unique color but nowadays it just looks so ordinary while the black with a black back looks so classy. Also, on the white iPhone when the beveled edges capture the light and it looks really slick but on the big tablet the shiny edges looks kinda ugly and cheap. So my preference heavily leans toward black.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
I actually bought both versions in 16gb and went through some rigorous OCD deliberating and finally decided that the black was the one I wanted. The back of it is really a (stealthy sleek) departure from all the other iPads, whereas the white still looks like the original iPad back. When I take my black one out (insert one liner here) I just feel distinguished like I am classy yet intellectual but also approachable and not stand-offish. Many question if it is the Galaxy Note 4 because of its size.

I tried to love the white and I tried and tried to pretend the white was what I wanted and that the backing would hold up better for scratches, showed less fingerprints and the white bezel was better for reading (fooling myself, I'm a dyslexic illiterate with alzheimers I think, can't remember what the dr.said)... the moment where I knew it wasn't for me was when I was watching an episode of He-Man and as I became engrossed in the complex storyline and felt as though I was part of Eternia...BOOM I noticed the white bezel... I was back home and very sad.

The black was the one I wanted from the start, so I stopped trying to fool myself and said goodbye to my caucasian friend.

Last edited:

Formativeyears

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2007
I exchanged the black for the white. Obviously it's totally a matter of taste but I felt that the black one looked too similar to all of the other generic 7-8 inch tablets with black frames and black backs. The white one is unique and beautiful (plus I love the silver backing.)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I love the white band on the lte model for white...but I have a white iPhone and everyone else has the black finish but the slate is a luxurious blue black finish and the black does make the screen pop! I love the way the blue cover looks on the black model. The problem is i like both where normally i prefer on over the other. The white over all looks better to me but im starting to go over to the dark side and just live with the black model but I dont like that the cords are white for black models showing dirt and grime.

Last edited:

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
White is more classy. Tho the black is nice as well with its blueish tint. Got the white since I've always had white iPods since the first gen iPod.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i went with black because it's less "present" and more out of the way, if that makes sense. i'd be admiring the white bezel and silver finish too much, it would be distracting.

also yeah I have a black iPhone 5, which comes in handy for those apps not yet aligned to the new screen dimensions. you can't even notice the difference, unlike on a white phone where the letterboxing stands out more.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
I have a white 32GB white mini to match my 32GB white iP5. Felt I should keep it pretty consistent. Also, as stealthy and as sleek the black mini and iP5 look I think the white ones are a bit more flashier and stand out more.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
All of my iPads were black (iPad, iPad 2 and the new iPad 4), but for the Mini I prefer white, like my iPhone 4s

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think the black one is too indescript. It looks like a kindle with an apple logo on it.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Black, like the fact that it'd hard to tell where the screen ends and bezel begins while watching videos and certain apps. Probably why we don't see many TVs in white ;)

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I had the Black & Slate and think this version looks way nicer than the White & Silver; however, after a week of use I noticed silver specs appearing around the chamfered edge... The anodizing was clearly chipping off and revealing its aluminum frame... I babied the hell out of my iPad mini too. I never placed it on a hard surface and had it wrapped up the whole time.

I returned it for a refund and bought the White & Silver. It's not as nice looking but it'll do.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
I had a White one around while waiting for my Black + LTE to arrive.

I always go for the Black iDevices, but figured I'd give White a shot outside of QA at the studio.

Let me get this out of the way - White iDevices are not "girly." If you think that, you must be… new here. Or grew up in some strange environment. Not so long ago all Apple products were white & silver.

The White model does look very very very nice. The chamfer is very shiny giving it a gleam-y look. Combined with the Light Grey Smart Cover, it looks pretty darn pimp.

However, in personal use, I still had the problem where a) the White bezel felt distracting, and b) it made the screen feel smaller.

Now having the black one in hand, it's very sleek, but its back is definitely more a visible fingerprint magnet, yet the screen nicely blends into the bezel.

It's a real situation of taste. If in doubt, just go see them in person!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.