Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
"Popular features"? Umpfff, LOL! I think the new Maplegate is the MOST UNPOPULAR FEATURE Apple has EVER produced! And Siri? Siriously? I know NO ONE in my friendlist who ever talked to Siri except in the first five minutes after unwrapping their iPhones - maybe some half-funny party jokes evolved out of that. And that was it! :rolleyes:

What about... ZFS? iSCSI? A current OpenGL implementation (I mean, what are we Mac users... like 2-3 years behind of the current standard)? I call those POPULAR FEATURES!

No Ping was the most unpopular feature of recent note. Maps where simply blown out of proportion by an increasingly desperate for page hits tech press.

ZFS is dead and I don't think we really need it. Would like to see iSCSI though and OpenGL is really dependent on your GPU installed and what software programs are actually using.

As for Maps and Siri - Makes sense to me on both accounts. Apple's adding dual microphones to all the new Macs which means they expect accurate voice capture to be essential to future products. Siri sounds like a likely solution.

Maps are important as well. Programs like iPhoto use Maps and there are plenty of location based apps that would be appealing on Macs. Plus it extends the mapkit api to OS X which is good for developers and users because it improves both the iOS and OS X usage.

----------

With 10.9 running out the door with the typical recent speed ... I'm more excited to see what kind of paradigm shift OS 11 brings. Can we expect some much, much deeper integration between iOS and Mac OS by then, something more than just borrowing each others programs?

Perhaps everyone expecting something truly new and better (not just different) from Apple should be looking forward to summer 2014. Can't wait!

I'm not expecting OS X 11 to ever see the light of day.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.

The "same price" thing shouldn't be too much of a concern. When the updates were huge bundles every 2 years, they were $129. Now they're $19, one seventh the price.

Not saying one is better than the other - I certainly miss the anticipation of huge, new OS X releases. But price isn't really an issue these days.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Only 1 major release from OS XI.

I wonder what they've got up their sleeves? Dock and menus removed in favour of a 'metro' style interface? ;)

Why you say that? They can release 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 for long as Apple wishes. OS XI or whatever they decide to call it will probably be a major overhaul. Just because System 9 was the last OS pre-OS X, it just worked out that way.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
siri on my laptop? LOLOLOLOLOL

I think just using google would be a tad bit easier, don't you think Apple?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Great now instead of antisocial silence, there will be all those unemployed people and students that hang out for hours at a time in Starbucks all talking to their MacBooks! Wonderful! :rolleyes:

How would these unemployed people afford said macbook ;)

----------

I'm not expecting OS X 11 to ever see the light of day.

That would be called OS XI...not OS X 11.

May wish to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals

----------

With 10.9 running out the door with the typical recent speed ... I'm more excited to see what kind of paradigm shift OS 11 brings. Can we expect some much, much deeper integration between iOS and Mac OS by then, something more than just borrowing each others programs?

Perhaps everyone expecting something truly new and better (not just different) from Apple should be looking forward to summer 2014. Can't wait!

I'd imagine OS XI wont even exist. We'll get some new OS which is basically OS X and iOS combined into one ARM based platform.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
No surprise. I was originally thinking that Siri would come to 10.8 Mountain Lion but 10.9 is more than welcome of course.

I can't wait until the day when I get to live out my Star Trek fantasy and actually say "Computer...." to my computer. :)

drudus

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Awesome, I'll take Siri and hopefully be able to delete Maps.

Make a better product than Google's and I'll use it.

Try using Google's search app on iOS, the voice search kicks Siri's ass with immediate feedback as you speak, - copy that Apple we know you steal ideas too.

As others have said Maps are likely to be a framework for 3rd party developers so deleting won't an option, that is if they don't make devs wait for 10.10.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
How would these unemployed people afford said macbook ;)

----------

That would be called OS XI...not OS X 11.

May wish to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals

I'd imagine OS XI wont even exist. We'll get some new OS which is basically OS X and iOS combined into one ARM based platform.

I don't think XI is going to happen.

It's going to go

and so on. OS X XI will never come.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.

I hate this as much as you do but this was Jobs' plan all along. Tim Cook is just following through on it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I hate this as much as you do but this was Jobs' plan all along. Tim Cook is just following through on it.

OS X was designed around the ability to rapidly update. I don't know why people are upset..they can always wait to upgrade. No one is forcing an OS update on us.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Only 1 major release from OS XI.

I wonder what they've got up their sleeves? Dock and menus removed in favour of a 'metro' style interface? ;)

This would not bode well for Battery Status or other menu bar apps (IE: Fantastical)

I predict the name of OS X 10.9 will be Space Lion!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Makes sense. OS X will get all the core iOS apps/features eventually.
Makes me think iOS will = OS X in the future. We all think this. But I feel it'll be 2 different OS still just a different UI for each device. ie Mac and iDevice.

YET MORE iOS CRAP into OS X?

What about a totally revamped Finder, a better/more capable file system, overdue customization options, improved built-in codec support, better GPU drivers, an innovative/revolutionary UI paradigm, ANYTHING TRULY INNOVATIVE OR LONG-AWAITED?

Damned, if you are that short of ideas at least buy XtraFinder or resurrect some System 8 features! At least OS X Jaguar made me smile - on the other hand, Lion and ML are just the epitome of OS boredom.

Memo to Apple: Forstall is OUT! Does Apple need Serlet and Tevanian back just to get out of that stupid iOSification sameness?

If this is all they can do, I am definitely going to consider another platform - Commodore, Apple //, anything...this is just pathetic.

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
What about a totally revamped Finder, a better/more capable file system, overdue customization options, improved built-in codec support, an innovative/revolutionary UI paradigm, ANYTHING TRULY INNOVATIVE OR LONG-AWAITED?
You mean like what Windows 8 brought to Windows 7?

You can see how people are loving that. Be careful what you wish for.

(Side note, I like Window 8 a lot.)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
They have to add more advanced features other wise people are going to start thinking that Apple and their customers only care about fart apps. :rolleyes:
It could be said that in general, Apple has a younger demographic. Therefore I do understand the allure of fart apps, especially for the young boys. Yet that said, it's time for Apple to get back to what they do best, which is to create and build great hardware and software.

Since Apple seems to be addicted to headlines and such, I do understand their love of gimmicks. Siri is a gimmick that invites headlines, and amuzes the younger demographic. But for those adults who just want to use their iDevice quickly and efficiently, gimmicks do get in the way. Knowing that Apple is hopelessly connected to gimmicks, then fine, do them, but get on the ball and give us real improvements in other areas as well.

Apple has not done anything significant for the general all purpose user in recent times. Worse, they've made things slower, harder and error prone by allowing their ego to dictate what's next. Rejecting the accurate, popular, widely accepted Google Maps was the most stupid mistake Apple could have made.

Perhaps silently behind the scenes, someone has called their attention to this. Or not. But one thing is for certain, no company stays on top forever, and there is no better way to decline, than to focus on gimmicks.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OK...so it's almost pretty clear that by OS X 11 we will see a unified OS on all Apple hardware (Mac, iPhones, iPads, etc). This...could...get...messy.

Right, but until then we'll bash Windows for attempting to merge touch and classic starting with Windows 8. We'll see countless incarnations of "makes no sense", "die Windows die", "crash my PC 10 times a day", "total fail", etc right up until Apple rolls out a unified osXI and then it will flip into "best OS ever", "how did I ever use my computers without this", "die Windows die (and take Samsung & Google with you)", "take my money", etc. along with "why can't this update work on the $2500 Apple laptop I just bought last year?" and a few similar (soft) gripes (by people who will then stand in line to buy the new one and later gush about how great it is).

Same story over and over in a new cover.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
You mean like what Windows 8 brought to Windows 7?

You can see how people are loving that. Be careful what you wish for.

(Side note, I like Window 8 a lot.)

No, I don't mean Windows; I am a longtime Apple user and couldn't care less about that POS.

I just mean boldness, innovation, revolution again; values that Apple is clearly known for. Not the lazy sameness and risk aversion that seems to control every OS development move at Apple these days.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
siri on my laptop? LOLOLOLOLOL

I think just using google would be a tad bit easier, don't you think Apple?

I just typed "remind me at 4:35 PM to check macrumors.com" into the text field on Google.com. Guess what? It didn't add a reminder to my reminders list!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

(web searches aren't the only use for Siri)

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Since Apple seems to be addicted to headlines and such, I do understand their love of gimmicks. Siri is a gimmick that invites headlines, and amuzes the younger demographic. But for those adults who just want to use their iDevice quickly and efficiently, gimmicks do get in the way. Knowing that Apple is hopelessly connected to gimmicks, then fine, do them, but get on the ball and give us real improvements in other areas as well.

Apple has quite a long history with accessibility support on the Mac, Siri will fit right in there. If they also add an api, it may open up for some interesting new special purpose uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.