Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple fight fire with fire with a Android iPhone?

• Yes do a 5" 1080p Android iPhone?

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Stick with Apple's game plan.

Votes: 31 83.8%

• Total voters

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I know it's crazy but how many people would buy a 5" 1920x1080p Android iPhone if it was skinned with iOS. Of course the price would have to be premium to make up for lost App sales and the smaller iPhone would still be available or you can go the Amazon way and go all out. I see a Android iPhone completely taking out Samsung, Motorola and HTC.
Fighting fire with fire I guess. Does anyone actually believe a iPhone in it's current state can beat Android. 2013 will be the year of 1080p and I don't see a iPhone 5s beating a Samsung S4 and Android. Does anyone else have a better idea?

So my specs are this:

5" 1920x1080p IPS display
Quad core A7 like processor
2gb of RAM
iOS launcher with full widget support and skinned throughout running on Jellybean
4000mah battery
Same iPhone 5 build quality and materials
$400 dollars (only because at $200 it would take out it's own 4" iPhone. Plus your losing your App revenue but here you get your profit's upfront.)
Same or better camera system with facetime.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I don't really understand the question. Would I buy an Android phone that shipped with an iOS-themed launcher?

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I have enough trouble getting my iPhone in and out of my jeans pocket without worrying about a beast like that andriod. I bought an iPad for that, thank you.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I think he meant "would you still buy an iPhone if the iOS would be available with other manufacturers?"

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Are we pretending that Apple will suddenly decide to license iOS to anyone who wants to use it, regardless of hardware? Or that Apple and Samsung kiss and make up and that Samsung would then start making official iSamsung phones? Or that an Android phone manufacturer would copy the iPhone's user interface onto a phone that's actually running Android? Or that Apple will make an iPhone that looks like a Galaxy Note?

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
This a tough questions because I'm not a fan of 5" phones, the biggest I had was 4.3" and that would be the max I would ever do. I don't like 3.5" as that's too small, and 4.3" is workable but felt like everyone could see what I'm viewing on my phone and then i tried the 4" and it was perfect. Great for one had use and small enough that my screen isn't exposed to everyone standing next to me. I do like Android and wish they would stop pulling a windows move, by licensing their OS to hardware manufacturers and instead would be more like Apple in the sense that they make everything...hardware, software, etc. So with that being said, if Google and Apple could team up and create a phone that keeps the iPhones amazing UI with the Gmaps, Gmail, and a few other tweaks found in Android... all in a 4" screen...then yea I would def go for it.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Not sure what the question is, but honestly, it wouldn't take much for Apple to get me back on the iPhone.

Larger screen - whatever it is that you need to do to keep apps scaled properly, fine, but offer me something more than 4". Or why not, offer both the 4" for those that want it, and a 4.3"-4.7" (again, whatever is the next size up that will properly scale all your apps) to those that want larger. They offer sizes with iPads, Macs, Desktops, etc. Why not the iPhone?

Giving a little more control over iOS - I don't think people are asking for much, really. Just, don't treat us as idiots. For the most "innovative" company in the world, I think you can find a way to include email attachments, settings toggles, live tiles, etc. all the while making it seamless and simple enough for the average user. In fact, Apple offers classes to teach people exactly how to use their products. And people happily sign up for them. Every time I'm in an Apple store, people are lined up waiting for class to begin. People love learning how to use their shiny new Apple products; why is Apple so afraid to introduce additional features with some learning curve?

Try not to overcharge - iPads and iPhones make anywhere from 40-90% profit, depending on which report you're quoting, what generation phone you're looking at, etc. I mean, you don't have to play the low game, but you also don't have to overcharge. And before you go into a tirade about how those profits go into R&D, yeah, they do, but they also go into Apple's 100+ billion dollar surplus bank. Ruminate on that.

I don't think this is asking for a lot, honestly. I would return to the iPhone in a heart beat if they could get these few things right.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
When it comes to mobile devices, I wouldn't want anything Apple controlled wrt Android. I wouldn't even want a phone designed like the iphone. I personally can't stand that brick shape, and if I wanted a phone with no expandable memory and no way to change out the battery, I would go with a Nexus phone.

I am personally very happy to have the alternatives we have and see zero need to merge Android with Apple. The S3, Note II, DNA, HOX1+, Nexus 4, WP8 Nokia 920 are all great alternatives.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
5" 1920x1080p IPS display
Quad core A7 like processor
2gb of RAM
4000mah battery
Same iPhone 5 build quality and materials
$400 dollars
Same or better camera system with facetime.

Nope but I would be all over a true iphone with the specs listed above. I mentioned in another thread that they should do something like this with the S versions. Keep the iPhone as is and release it every fall but every spring they put out the 5s, 6s etc...and its the bigger version with a slight spec bump. Would love that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.