Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i have iPhone 4S 64GB version,iPad 1St Generation 64GB Version wifi,iPad Mini 64GB version Wifi,ipod Classic 160GB,iPod Nano 7 Generation 16GB,
I use them all equal.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Op, it may sound cliche but your answer is in your computing needs.

Our teenaged daughter lives on her Air and it's just easier to use for her school work.

My wife lives on her Air too and rarely uses her iPad which would fulfill her needs better than half the time. She thinks the Air is just more convenient to stream movies from plus there are better Chinese translation apps available for the Air than on the iPad.

I generally only need email and the ability to read so I rarely use my Air. It mostly comes along as a back up device when traveling otherwise I live on my iPad and phone.

Our iMac is never used any more. As a matter of fact, the portability of the Airs and iPads has nearly rendered our home offices obsolete.

Edited for one last comment: optical drive. Our daughter does a lot of graphic design and other digital artwork on her Air as a hobby and the software she uses with her Bamboo Tablet is not available for OTA download. This presented a small challenge since the only optical drive we have is on our iMac (and I don't believe the new iMacs even have optical drives). This might be a consideration for you to lean toward a Pro.

It's also a slight commentary to companies wanting to work off the Apple platform...pls ensure your software is available OTA.

Last edited:

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I have an iPhone,ipad, and MacBook Pro..and I use all 3. I think the only one that gets the least amount of use would be the laptop only because I tend to do most general stuff on my ipad or phone. My phone is all about phone use/txting/music. The ipad for all my web browsing needs and My laptop gets it work out for heavier processing requirements. I can't picture myself without these devices. Maybe I'm too dependent on technology but they serve me well and love that I can pick up where I left off with any iMessage convo or with the use of icloud pick up any web browsing on any of these devices.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I agree, it's what you are going to use them for.
Now having the MBA there's only one thing I really use my iPad for, and that's as a backup for photos straight after a shoot at someones house. I then import these to my windows laptop into lightroom when i get home, and this works well.

The MBA is so fast at every day stuff, and instantly on, that the versatility of the small screen when out but being able to hook it up to a 24" screen when at home can't be matched by the ipad.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
University setup:
13" MacBook Air (2011)
32GB iPhone 5
Samsung Galaxy & Nokia Lumia (Development Phones).

Use my MBA for everything: iOS, Android and Windows development. Run both 10.8 and Win 8 on it, only limitations I have found is the small (256GB) SSD, but use an external HDD for all my media etc. Hoping to buy a 27" Thunderbolt display in the near future to make working on projects for long spells of time a bit more comfortable. The Air takes everything I throw at it, and don't really have any complaints about it at all.

At home:
iMac 21.5 (2010)
iPad WiFi 16GB

Never touch either of these, even when I am at home, other than using the iMac for storing movies etc. The MBA has replaced both, the speed eclipses that of the iMac, and massively outclasses the iPad in terms of usefulness. Probably update to a new gen iPad or iPad mini in the future as nothing beats the iPad on long journeys and flights.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Man you guys are freaking rich... or liars, either one lol. But don't you get annoyed at having all those apple products? I don't know where I would be without my ps3.

I also have a 360 and PS3. Also, almost every vintage game system in storage. Having Apple products doesn't mean you can't have other brands as well :)

Koziakauzu

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Just wondering which :apple: devices you guys have. I have an iPhone 4S, iPad 4, Apple TV, and no computer. My old desktop PC died a couple of weeks ago. The reason I ask is because I'm torn between an iPad and a rMBP. I bought an iPad 4th generation a little less than a week ago, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should keep it, or return it and buy a rMBP. Do any of you have all 3? (iPhone, iPad, MBP) and if so, do you use each equally or does one fall behind and make you wish you could still return it?

Going iPad-only is doable if you don't do serious graphics/video/music stuffs...and if you buy/rent all your medias (movies/music/comics/etc). These are the reasons i stick with my computer and leave my iPad on the coffee table most of the time.

The rest, such as 'office' documents, internet or even casual photo editing is fine with the iPad.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Depends what you use everything for. My iPad gets the least use of the 3 but I like it. The phone is the phone.. daily communication device. What I do on the macbook cannot be done on an iPad so that's an easy one. If you can get away only needing an iPad everyday and want to save some cash, go for it. If you don't even need a mac, get a cheap PC.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I also have a 360 and PS3. Also, almost every vintage game system in storage. Having Apple products doesn't mean you can't have other brands as well :)

I never implied that lol. Well I'm middle class so just having an iPhone is almost pushing it lol I could see myself having a macbook and all this other fancy stuff if my brother wasn't such an irresponsible idiot and I didn't have a lot of polo.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I've got an iPhone 5, my wife has an iPhone 4S, my daughter has an iPhone 3G (with no SIM, and it was a gift from a friend), and we've got an Apple TV2. I will be getting an iPad mini for Christmas.

On the computer side, I'm a PC guy, and I build my own machines, so that will never go to the Apple side. That is, unless Apple can build machines like I can build for similar prices, which I highly doubt, considering my latest build is a Core i5 running at 4.5 GHz with 16 GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD, 4.5TB of HDs and a GTX 460, of which the grand total was about $700. Granted I reused some parts from my previous machine, but that's part of why I love it, and why no manufacturer will ever match my own builds in price. :)

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
I have all 3 and each serves a purpose...writing papers on an ipad is hard but web broswing is not. Writing papers on a mbp is easy but not as portable as a ipad... I bring my ipad to school most days because its eaiser to carry but sometimes i bring both

jroz

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
'06 15" MBP
'08 24" iMac
4th gen 32gb iPod Touch
60 gb iPod Classic

Last edited:

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I currently have a MBP 13" and an iPhone 5.

The only reason I'm considering an iPad Mini, is because it looks like a great couch companion.

If I had to choose between an iPad and a MBP, I'd go MBP every time.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
2011 iMac
iPod 3
iPad 2
iPhone 5
ATV3

All integrated. Love it when someone sends me an iMessage, and can respond on every device but ATV3.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
See my Sig. I need a laptop, mostly to manage media nowadays and for writing long docs.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Man you guys are freaking rich... or liars, either one lol. But don't you get annoyed at having all those apple products? I don't know where I would be without my ps3.

I have An iPhone5, Macbook pro, Apple tv3, And an iPod or 2. It's all about the ecosystem for me. When my products all work together I find that it just makes my life a little easier at times. I also have a PS3 and a Sony TV, But if apple had a television set I would definitely buy it to fit in my ecosystem. I dont think i'd be getting rid of my ps3 though.. Unless the apple television set also had a built in gaming console... but thats just me dreaming.

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
07' alum macbook
macbook pro retina
macbook air
ipad 2
iphone 5

My work pays for my Apple products, after a year they are given to us and we purchase all new work computers. Our director likes to make sure we use every dime of our fiscal budget.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
This thread was asking what you have and what percentage of use they were getting between the devices

Most people just listed what they have

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Between the wife and I we have an 11 inch MacBook Air, 1 iPad mini, and each have an iPhone 5. We are very light users and could pretty much get by with iPads and iphones, but there are times when we use the MBA. She uses it more than I do for pics etc. at one point we each had a MBA, iPad and iPhone but it was overkill so downsizes to what was necessary. If u don't use computer much, just get a cheap dell laptop or netbook when u need to use it that 25% etc.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
MBA 13" Mid 2011
iPhone 5 64 GB
iPad 1st Gen 32 GB Wifi + 3G
ATV 1st gen
ATV3
Time Capsule 2 TB

Lots of Apple products but I really like the integration of the different devices. At some point I may add a Mac Mini as an HTPC.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Let's see. . . .

8GB Original iPhone
32GB White iPhone 3GS
64GB White iPhone 4S
64GB White iPhone 5

32GB wifi + 4G iPad 3

6GB iPod Mini
30GB Classic iPod (Harry Potter Edition)

13" MacBook Pro
27" iMac

Apple TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.