Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
how is deleting posts a reminder?

Also, I have been called names plenty of times on here with no edits to the persons posts. My "frivelous" post was nearly an exact copy of at least 4 other posts that were made in that section and until recenly were still available to be posted in including posts by mods/admins.

As far as the time out comment, it was a statement about how the thread was locked down for everyone. Apparenly noone has a sense of humor. And a rule that says basically, our word is final and you cant contest it is pretty totatiltarian is it not?

And as far as calling that member and idiot, go read the thread. he is an absolute idiot without a doubt. Now the troll, we cant report a troll as being a troll? Is a duck no longer a duck?

So apparently I just need to drink the cool-aid. You are all awesome people and have no inflated egos or image issues. You are the best ever. Apple is god, everything else sucks, long live Steve Jobs, macrumors is the best ever and has never been wrong or had any sort of bad posters ever. This place is all dandiliouns and honeysuckle. Namaste.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Also, I have been called names plenty of times on here with no edits to the persons posts.
Did you report the posts?
My "frivelous" post was nearly an exact copy of at least 4 other posts that were made in that section
Did you report the other posts?
And a rule that says basically, our word is final and you cant contest it is pretty totatiltarian is it not?
The site isn't owned by the posters. The site owner has the right to set any rules they choose, and you agreed to those rules when you registered.
And as far as calling that member and idiot, go read the thread. he is an absolute idiot without a doubt. Now the troll, we cant report a troll as being a troll? Is a duck no longer a duck?
Clearly, you haven't read the rules.
Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it.
Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
The moderation on this site, while not perfect, is for the most part balanced and fair. When you clearly violate a forum rule, you don't have a legitimate argument when moderators take the appropriate action.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I have reported the posts with no consequences. Believe me, I am going to filling their inboxes with reported posts from now on. Anything that has the meer inkling of being against the rules will be reported and see if any of them is deleted or edited. I guarantee they will not be especially considering that they conveniently cannot find any of my contacts to them.

Also, if you go back to the original post, I stated that I was looking for a level amount of moderation. If someone is gonna be busted for violating a rule, let the others get busted as well. Dont hand pick and choose one member here and there and let the other slide because they have a high post count or are your buddy.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
according to the records that you also say you didnt receive my contacts from before? I am not trusting your records very much these days.

Are you proposing that the moderators are lying or that the system is not accuratley transmitting your communication to them?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have reported the posts with no consequences.
If you had reported them, they would have been handled. While it's possible an occasional post report might slip through the cracks, I find they're usually handled in a very timely manner. In case there's confusion about how to report posts, click the report post icon
report.gif
to the left of the post to report a post that violates Forum Rules.
If someone is gonna be busted for violating a rule, let the others get busted as well.
They will, if the offending posts are reported.
Dont hand pick and choose one member here and there and let the other slide because they have a high post count or are your buddy.
That doesn't happen. Posts are moderated based on whether or not they violated a clearly stated forum rule, not on the basis of any post counts or friendships.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
False. Aside from the post you most recently reported a few minutes ago, you have reported one post in your time at MacRumors and as a result the thread was sent to the wasteland.

I believe the OP initially has said he has tried using the "contact us" feature and has not had any feedback as opposed to reporting posts if I am not mistaken

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Are you proposing that the moderators are lying or that the system is not accuratley transmitting your communication to them?

I am proposing that their system has a flaw in it somewhere along the tracks. Either human or machine. I know nothing of their back end processes so I cannot even begin to think where the issue is.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I believe the OP initially has said he has tried using the "contact us" feature and has not had any feedback as opposed to reporting posts if I am not mistaken

And as we have said, we see no record of that. Ever.

For what it is worth, several mods have tried to use the Contact Us form to make sure it is working. Every one of our test messages has gone through just fine, yet we have no record of peeaanuut ever filing a contact.

Please feel free to submit a contact of your own and we can see if we get a notice of it. Even though only admins respond to contacts, mods can see them too.

B

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest

Aside from private messages to various mods, the forum software has received 0 Contact Us submissions and in total 2 post reports from this user ever. He was referring to post reports in the situation I quoted.

I find it easier to believe none were sent (possibly due to user error) and not a bug in the forum software. We receive plenty of post reports and contact forms daily.

peeaanuut if you are still around, please send a contact with some random text to verify that you can send them and post here once you've submitted the contact.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
That's what they claimed, but it apparently isn't true:

You are confusing 2 incidents. Go re-read the thread. This comment was directly related to that I stated on friday that i would send an additional response via the contact form. I was not able to complete that task as I stated.

But either here nor there, the mods/admins have taken a hardline stance on this and when you begin to deal with people that are unwilling to admit any fault and take a hardline response to everything, there is no point in continuing the conversation with them.

----------

I just sent 2 test contact us forms in a row and will wait a fe wminutes and send a 3rd so there is a break and it doesnt throttle the system if it is possible.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
just sent test 3........

well 2 out of 3 aint bad.

look, things are heated. Nothing is gonna change so Ill just continue to post as I see fit and just accept that nothing will change. Thanks everyone for your time. Mods/admins/gods/randomguy feel free to close this thread if you wish.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
But either here nor there, the mods/admins have taken a hardline stance on this and when you begin to deal with people that are unwilling to admit any fault and take a hardline response to everything, there is no point in continuing the conversation with them.

We constantly admit that we are human and do make mistakes. We have a process by which those mistakes can be reviewed and sometimes even overturned.

If we were as hardlined as you suggest, you would have already been given a time-out or permanently banned from the site.

Please note the rule (previously quoted by GGJStudios):

Instantly Bannable Offenses
These offenses can result in temporary forum suspensions or permanent bans. If you get a warning, heed it!

Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling.

Your statement earlier in the thread "he is an absolute idiot without a doubt." is a direct personal insult aimed at another user as described in the rule. Why are you still here?

B

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I was following the offer that a mod made to discuss these things in this thread. How can I discuss them without discussing them?

Also it is an indirect insult because noone in this thread that isnt a mod/admin knows who I am talking about and I havent and wont mention that posters name. Are we not allowed to say "some people on this forum are complete morons"? Without mentioning any users names it is an indirect comment. See the difference?

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

The mods/admins are human and do make mistakes! Nobody's perfect. That is why there is an appeal process in place in case you wish to dispute moderation taken against you. And decisions made by mods have been reversed (it's happened to me) if the admins agree a mistake was made . Even the admins are answerable to each other (and arn). Arn is the only member who answers to no-one since he owns this site.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I was following the offer that a mod made to discuss these things in this thread. How can I discuss them without discussing them?

You publicly repeated that another user is an idiot, despite being told that is a violation of the rules. That was completely unnecessary and gives us the distinct impression that you don't understand the rule.

Please note that we even deal with insults in PMs. If you PM someone "You are an idiot" or something similar and they report it expect a warning or time-out.

EDIT: Here's an acceptable way of rephrasing what you posted earlier in the thread.

"And as far as calling members an idiot or a troll, we cant report a troll as being a troll? Is a duck no longer a duck?"

Please do report (using the private mechanism provided) a post as a trolling post, or a frivolous one or even a duck and let us deal with it. Do not post your opinions/suspicions/about a user to the thread in violation of the rules.

"go read the thread. he is an absolute idiot without a doubt." was completely out of line. No matter if we agree with you or not.

B

Last edited:

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
there is a difference between
1. me calling you a name directly right now, lets go with poopy head for this example because its about as minor of an insult as you can get after kindergarden, when whoever reads this knows if I am calling you a name and if

2. down the road in another thread i state that I think one of the moderators is a poopy head without mentioning a name, thread or time of post.

See the difference between the two?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
See the difference between the two?

Both would be treated similarly here, because it is clear that they are directed at a user of the site.

I think you also missed this important part of the forum rules around insults/name-calling. "Why? Because this isn't grade school." It isn't kindergarten either.

There is never a need to call another user of the site a "poopy head" or any other name. So just don't do it.

B

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Nothing is gonna change so Ill just continue to post as I see fit and just accept that nothing will change. Thanks everyone for your time. Mods/admins/gods/randomguy feel free to close this thread if you wish.

Actually, we would prefer if you didn't continue to post as you see fit but rather chose to post within the rules. That way you can continue to be a member of this community and not be banned, which will happen if you continue to flaunt the rules. Also, we would prefer if you chose to report posts that you feel violate the rules, rather than respond to them.

Things do change around here. Rules are added, refined or removed as the forums evolve. Feel free to ask for specific examples, if you're interested.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Both would be treated similarly here, because it is clear that they are directed at a user of the site.

I think you also missed this important part of the forum rules around insults/name-calling. "Why? Because this isn't grade school." It isn't kindergarten either.

There is never a need to call another user of the site a "poopy head" or any other name. So just don't do it.

B
What about sponsors? What about corporations? We have Apple employee members here, so if apple is insulted wouldnt the poster be in violation? What about samsung? What about any of the other companies, developers, manufacturers that are insulted on a daily basis? Certainly they have employees here that could feel insulted? See how the wording of the rule could be interpreted? The rule says directly, my example was indirectly. There is a clear and distint difference between the two. Your interpretation of that rule does not follow its wording by definition.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What about sponsors? What about corporations? We have Apple employee members here, so if apple is insulted wouldnt the poster be in violation? What about samsung? What about any of the other companies, developers, manufacturers that are insulted on a daily basis? Certainly they have employees here that could feel insulted? See how the wording of the rule could be interpreted? The rule says directly, my example was indirectly. There is a clear and distint difference between the two. Your interpretation of that rule does not follow its wording by definition.

We have other rules for other situations, maybe you should read them sometime? The insults/name-calling rule is specific to users of the site.

Like all forms of trolling it can be somewhat subjective, as is the level of directness of an insult. Given the information in this thread and the fact that your post was edited not deleted, it's not hard to figure out who the user you are calling an idiot is. We spend lots of time trying to figure out if a given reported post was an insult that crossed the line or not.

Calling an unspecified mod a "poopy head" would probably only rate a reminder of the name calling rule not to call any user a "poopy head", where a more direct version might prompt a warning, TO or ban even without previous reminders. Note that in most threads such a post would be off topic and thus still a rules violation.

EDIT: Please note the following excerpt from the Moderation FAQ.

Do not insult the moderators for doing their job. Insulting any forum member is against the rules.

B

Last edited:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
how is deleting posts a reminder?

It isn't. Reminders are semi-automated messages that go out to a member when there's been a violation. You would have received them in your PM inbox. The posts with problems are either edited or removed, depending on the situation.

As far as the time out comment, it was a statement about how the thread was locked down for everyone. Apparenly noone has a sense of humor. And a rule that says basically, our word is final and you cant contest it is pretty totatiltarian is it not?

Since you used the words time-out, we couldn't know that what you actually meant was a thread being locked. You agreed to accept and follow the rules as part of the registration procedure. That's not totalitarian, that's an agreement you willingly and knowingly entered.

No, you cannot call an idiot and idiot or a troll a troll. See here - it's spelled out very clearly, the first point under the category "Respect".

So apparently I just need to drink the cool-aid.

Nope. Just follow the rules. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.