Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
My story -

1. I got an iPhone 3gs with cydia installed on it (iOS 4.1.3). I didn't knew if it was unlocked or what since this is first time I am using iPhone.

2. I upgraded it to iOS 6.0.1 using itunes then I was stuck at the activation screen.

3. Someone suggested to jailbreak it so I did following a video from youtube. Everything went well and i manage to jail break it.

4. Now the iPhone just keeps 'searching' a sim when the sim is inserted and it shows 'no service' when the sim is not inserted.

So guys need help solving this problem. As far as I have read.. I think I can do two things here -

1. install ipad baseband using redsnow.. OR
2. install ultrasnow from cydia and the fix..

The problem with first is that when I connect my iPhone to redsnow and go for iPad baseband there is a big notification that pops up saying that I might brick my radio signals for ever if I go ahead. So I am not sure to go ahead or not.

For second option, I really dont know if I do it since I have seen people doing it only after installing ipad baseband.

That's it.. guys help me solve this network problem please.

Model No. MC131X
Serial No. 829510.....
I think I have the new bootrom.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Looks like your phone is SIM-locked to a specific carrier.

The risk of bricking aplies to phones build after week 28 of 2011.

Yours appears to be week 51 2009, so that should not be an issue, but check to make sure.

If you did not perserve your BB while updating to iOS 6.01 you will have the latest BB which is not unlockable with ultrasn0w.

If you know which carrier your phone was original locked to you can try to get an IMEI unlock either through the carrier or through a grey market unlock from an online service, check the various threads in the forum on that. It will be a permanent unlock for all BB's.

If that is not an option you can install the iPad BB, use Ultrasn0w to unlock ,you will loose GPS functionality.
You can also install iPad BB and than downgrade that to the 05.13.04 BB which can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w and get your GPS back.

Check for various tutorials on iClarified.com

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will go with installing iPad baseband. So should I install only the ipad baseband this time? I already have cydia on my Iphone. Or should I install cydia and ipad baseband together?

Looks like your phone is SIM-locked to a specific carrier.

The risk of bricking aplies to phones build after week 28 of 2011.

Yours appears to be week 51 2009, so that should not be an issue, but check to make sure.

If you did not perserve your BB while updating to iOS 6.01 you will have the latest BB which is not unlockable with ultrasn0w.

If you know which carrier your phone was original locked to you can try to get an IMEI unlock either through the carrier or through a grey market unlock from an online service, check the various threads in the forum on that. It will be a permanent unlock for all BB's.

If that is not an option you can install the iPad BB, use Ultrasn0w to unlock ,you will loose GPS functionality.
You can also install iPad BB and than downgrade that to the 05.13.04 BB which can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w and get your GPS back.

Check for various tutorials on iClarified.com

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
that has happened to more people, follow the instuctions.

don't do a hard power down, but use the slide to power off.

It may take several tries to get the iPad BB installed.

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Yeah, my mistake.. this time I did it by sliding the phone off and everything went smoothly.

I have installed ultrasnow and the fixer as well. Now I put a sim in but I still see "No Service". Without sim it shows "No sim".

What to do now?

that has happened to more people, follow the instuctions.

don't do a hard power down, but use the slide to power off.

It may take several tries to get the iPad BB installed.

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
I finally managed to make it work. Thanks a lot for your help! :)

A little problem, I tried to take a few pics from the camera. While doing so the phone went off completely. Since it rebooted then I needed to boot tether it again for cydia to work. phew....

Now I need your help to downgrade the baseband or the ios version to a stable version. So how can I achieve that?

did you install ultrasn0w fixer from repo.iparelhos.com ?

if the fixer from that repo does not work you need to downgrade the iPad BB to 5.13.01 BB

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22653

the tutorial also states that you might have to do a full restore to get it all working.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
as your 3gs is the new bootrom it is a tethered JB on 6.01, any reboot means using Just Boot in redsn0w.

What SHSH's you have saved for your device, either locally or by cydia (see top of first page in cydia)

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Whatever will be is with cydia only. It shows SHSH : 4.1, 5.0.1 and 6.0.1.

as your 3gs is the new bootrom it is a tethered JB on 6.01, any reboot means using Just Boot in redsn0w.

What SHSH's you have saved for your device, either locally or by cydia (see top of first page in cydia)

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Yup I think 5.0.1 will be good for now.

I am just concerned a little here about the 5.0.1 blob since I never used iOS 5.0.1 so I don't know how it shows 5.0.1 in cydia. Is that normal?

Should I go ahead?

And for jailbreaking can I use the same latest version of redsn0w that I used for 6.0.1 jailbreak?

you can either stay on 6.01 with the tethered or go for to 5.01 untethered, i would go for the later.

Restore in redsn0w
go to Extras/Even More/Restore

select your downloaded 5.01 IPSW and follow instructions, use remote blobs

Now jailbreak with redsn0w 09.10b5c
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/14857834236/untethered-holidays

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If you selected "make my life easier" when JBing a new idevice, cydia wil save your SHSH's automatically when it sees a new firmware when it is being signed by Appple, you don't have to be on the actual firmware itself.

I think you'll need the 09.10b5c in the lin i gave you to jailbreak

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
To be honest, this is first time I am reading "make my life easier". May be it was done before I got the device. So what do you say? should I go ahead?

If you selected "make my life easier" when JBing a new idevice, cydia wil save your SHSH's automatically when it sees a new firmware when it is being signed by Appple, you don't have to be on the actual firmware itself.

I think you'll need the 09.10b5c in the lin i gave you to jailbreak

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012

Another clarification needed..

If by any chance the SHSH blob thing is not good or kind of corrupt then will there be any problem for my phone (I mean brick)? Or redsn0w wont degrade the phone?

Also, while reading I could not understand the below quoted line mentioned on point 2 here - http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/14857834236/untethered-holidays

If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW!

I did use ultrasnow for solving my sim problem so is it the same thing? Or it does not matter since I am degrading?

Lastly, I did all the previous stuff on my windows laptop. Now can I use my macbook this time?

I tried to restore but when I selected my ipsw file the following window popped up -
Screen_Shot_2012_11_20_at_8_09_54_PM.png

what to do? yes or no?

Last edited:

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
little problem again.. I tried tiny umbrella to check which SHSH blobs are available for my phone. So I saved SHSH blobs but only 4.1 and 6.0.3 appeared. There is no 5.x SHSH blob.

Note - I unclicked request from cydia.

Then when I checked request from cydia and saved SHSH again, the 5.0.1 SHSH blob appeared.

I am a little confuse now with regard to 5.0.1 :)

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
For the preserve BB select YES

With TU SHSH's for 4.1 and 6.01? were saved locally.
Cydia saved the 5.01 automatically.

Just goahead and complete the procedure with redsn0w on your mac. Select remote SHSH when asked.
No risk of bricking, even if blobs are not valid, it won't restore in that case.

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Ok, I did it. But now again I have that no service and no sim problem.

I am on 5.0.1 with BB 6.15

Now how to get that sim to be working again? and this is untethered jailbreak right?

For the preserve BB select YES

With TU SHSH's for 4.1 and 6.01? were saved locally.
Cydia saved the 5.01 automatically.

Just goahead and complete the procedure with redsn0w on your mac. Select remote SHSH when asked.
No risk of bricking, even if blobs are not valid, it won't restore in that case.

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Ok now it is working..... I tried a few different combinations and it worked.

But one problem!! I cannot restore back up from iTunes... it says that my version is too old so it cannot restore the back up. Anyway I can restore my back up? Especially the contacts I need :(

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You can always sync contacts manually in itunes.

Itunes info tab

Try to use google, a lot of your questions can be foond there

gizmofreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
You can always sync contacts manually in itunes.

Itunes info tab

Try to use google, a lot of your questions can be foond there

Thanks a lot buddy for all the help! really appreciate!

I finally manage to sync it by setting it up as a new iphone. :)

Thanks a lot! Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.