Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I have an Airport Extreme and Time Capsule which both are 4th generation. I'm trying to figure out what is the best setup with having both.

Extended or 2 separate networks?

I currently have the Aipoirt Extreme connected via ethernet to the cable modem. I then have the Time Capsule connected to the Airport Extreme via ethernet as a I separate network. I also have a ethernet cable that goes to ethernet hub.

The ethernet hub connects:
- Apple TV
- Slingbox
- Tivo

I feel the internet to be really slow. I do have a lot of devices connecting so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation on what the ideal setup should be. For example should the TimeCapsule be the primary?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Is your cable modem just a modem or is it a combination modem/router?

How are each of your Apple Base Stations configured? Do you have DHCP enabled on both?

What I would do in your situation is have the Time Capsule as the primary unit (as it is the newest revision) and the Extreme as the secondary unit connected via Ethernet. If your ISP modem is a modem/router, I'd disable DHCP on both and just have them broadcast their own SSIDs. If your ISP modem is not also a router, then I would disable DHCP only on the Extreme.

A possible cause to your slow Internet speeds could be the channels that your routers are using. Have you tried changing the channels? How many devices do you have connecting exactly?

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Yes my cable modem is just a modem and not a router. I also confirmed the primary (AE) has DHCP enabled and the TC is in Bridge Mode.

I have never touched the channels. I have the channels on automatic mode. I'll try and see if changing the channels help.

----------

I forgot to add the # of devices that are connected via wifi...

2 iPhones
2 iPads
1 MBP
2 Printers (laser and color printer (scanner))

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I have an Airport Extreme, Time Capsule, a few Apple TVs, and a handful of Airport Expresses.

I'm not sure of the reason why you would want separate networks. I assume you'll use your Time Capsule for backup and that would require the device to be on the same network as the Time Capsule it's backing up to.

My Airport Extreme is the network and everything else just connects to it. It makes it easy for backups and airplay.

----------

Do you know the speeds of your provider? I have a 50mbps down connection.

You may see some "slowness" if multiple devices are calling out or pulling down at the same time.

My setup which I don't really see a lag (50mbps comcast service):
  • Tivo x2
  • Apple TV x2
  • Vonage Adapter
  • iPad x2
  • iPod Touch x3
  • iPhone
  • iMac
  • Printer
  • Samba Server

I think that's everything. And I stream music most of the day to different Airport Expresses in the house and outside through different devices in the house.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I have a comcast business class cable connection with 5 static IPs.

I go from the CC modem to my Airport Extreme (with one static IP), then my main wireless and the guest wireless. Both 2.4 and 5. Then I have my TC set to extend the wireless from my AE (connected wirelessly). I have several devices (Visio TV/BlueRay, Windows box, iPad, iPhone, Android phone, HP touch pad, Macbook, ATV, and I think that's it.) connected and experience no lag. I have one printer connected to the TC via USB. I have a 1T drive connected to my AE.

Both AE and TC are the 4th gen systems. Been reading up and it's mentioned that TC (liked posted here) should be first in line. I'm happy with the way I'm setup currenty.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Yes my cable modem is just a modem and not a router. I also confirmed the primary (AE) has DHCP enabled and the TC is in Bridge Mode.

I have never touched the channels. I have the channels on automatic mode. I'll try and see if changing the channels help.

----------

I forgot to add the # of devices that are connected via wifi...

2 iPhones
2 iPads
1 MBP
2 Printers (laser and color printer (scanner))

That really isn't very many devices and shouldn't impact Internet speeds much if at all. I have my network set up similarly to yours.

I would definitely look into the channels and use something like iStumbler to see which channels are congested and set your routers to use ones that aren't. Another thing to consider is to reboot your AirPort Base Stations. I don't need to do this often, but every once in a while my network becomes incredibly slow (or Internet access cuts out altogether) and I'm forced to reboot my routers to resolve the issue.

reckless2k2, to address your concern, the way that the OP has their network set up with DHCP disabled on the Time Capsule and connecting it to the Extreme via Ethernet allows all devices to access the TC's HDD regardless of which network they're connected to. The TC just acts as a WAP and any devices connected to it can see and access any devices connected to the Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.