Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I'd say, if you study corporate history of the rise and fall of corporations, I'd give Apple about 12 years. In that time, it could go from media star to total has-been.
Let's hope they won't screw everything up for at least 5 years, just as many as Steve Jobs prepared product plans for.

filippaulsen

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
No wonder my > 2000 € rMBP performs so sluggishly when Apples top priority is to release a new OS every year, and stress to make all these "cool" new features... operational?

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
How could anyone not see the benefit of an Apple mapping solution for OS X.

http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/screenshots.html (note the Bing maps)

How about Places in iPhoto ?

Just about any Geo application needs maps and flexible ones at that.

How about journals in iOS. If Apple's maps are server side they could be called from shared photos (assuming a internet connection)

Lot's of reason why and frankly the promise of Placebase pushpin technology hasn't been fully realized.

Assuming it works.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Sounds cool. The only problem is, what will they call OS X 10.9?

felidae.png

[via xkcd]

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I don't know how about other people, but I was completely OK with two year update cycle for OSX. Apple should stick to it, instead of releasing a "new" OS every other year, which only feels like a semi major, but paid update. I'd say people would be more blow away if they saw some breakthrough between updates. But it's their call. My Mac came with ML preinstalled anyway...

Meanwhile give us iTunes 11 already!

P.S. I don't quite understand the maps. I doubt someone will benefit from that breathtaking turn-by-turn navigation on a Mac. :D Besides, here in the czech rep, it rarely works *properly*.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
This will be one way to finally get professionals to stop buying the higher end machines. No one in their right mind would use this for anything important.

More gimmicks because they nothing of note to add.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Yes. Command key + P + Return = Print ---WHOA!!!!!

Sadly she's totally frightened of computers since the first one we got her, a Win desktop. I figured that if she feels she's ordering the machine to do something she wants (hence "Command" key), she'd feel better about it.

Although if she could use Siri on her iMac, and fuss at Siri as she does the iMac now, --and if Siri replied to all the fussing with wit, heh, I'd pay to watch that.;)

Your mom sounds like a trooper.

My mother-in-law is on our family cell plan, but doesn't have unlimited data like us. At the end of every month when she is approaching her data cap, she calls and texts asking what apps use data.

She's about to inherit my husband's old MacBook Pro. When I initially suggested it to my husband, he only agreed on the promise that I would be her tech support.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
more worried that they're going to call the version after that as 10.10.

OX X 11 please.

thedragonden

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2007
Now my desktop Mac will be able to track my house when a tornado blows it away to Oz.

Siri: "You're not in Kansas anymore."

I'm Stoked!

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Your mom sounds like a trooper.

My mother-in-law is on our family cell plan, but doesn't have unlimited data like us. At the end of every month when she is approaching her data cap, she calls and texts asking what apps use data.

She's about to inherit my husband's old MacBook Pro. When I initially suggested it to my husband, he only agreed on the promise that I would be her tech support.

Good luck, perhaps it will go smoothly.

I do Mac tech support for several friends and family --some are fabulous about it, but the closest family & friends are the absolute worst. In fact, I'm thinking about strangling one of them now because of the past several days' iDrama, lol. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Hate to state it, but Siri and iOS 6 Maps are two of the biggest weak points on Apple's iOS platform. Why port them to OS X when there is so much more to make it as [universally] stable as 10.6 had been? I fear this rushing of OS X combined with half baked iOS "features" will lead to more OS X disasters.

(yes, it sold well, for $19.99 - 10.6 sold for $129, is only offered on new Mac's, and forced people into 10.8 for iCloud integration, so sales numbers do not equal success in overall product quality)

----------

Sounds cool. The only problem is, what will they call OS X 10.9?

"Kitty Litter" :p

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Hate to state it, but Siri and iOS 6 Maps are two of the biggest weak points on Apple's iOS platform. Why port them to OS X when there is so much more to make it as [universally] stable as 10.6 had been? I fear this rushing of OS X combined with half baked iOS "features" will lead to more OS X disasters.

(yes, it sold well, for $19.99 - 10.6 sold for $129, is only offered on new Mac's, and forced people into 10.8 for iCloud integration, so sales numbers do not equal success in overall product quality)

Matter of opinion. I find Siri to be fine and has gotten much better in iOS 6. Maps was always going to be a project but few companies could launch a new mapping platform without issue the first time around. There's no such thing as universal stability. There's no way to test voice recognition without having thousands of samples and Maps require a lot of crowd sourcing work as well. Apple had to put'em in the field and then clean thing up and that's what they're doing.

No one was forced into 10.8 that didn't buy a computer with it already installed.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Siri, are you in there?

----------

10.9? What's that? I only understand kitty names. ;)

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I'm all for a standalone Maps.app on OS X, and if Apple can expand the use of it's maps platform to OS X and steal users from Google while they're at it, it's win-win.

I'm with you, and have it where when i click something on say Facebook event, pops up the location and i can grab my phone and go having the direction already there without having to tell it, seamless integration with iCloud.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Matter of opinion. I find Siri to be fine and has gotten much better in iOS 6. Maps was always going to be a project but few companies could launch a new mapping platform without issue the first time around. There's no such thing as universal stability. There's no way to test voice recognition without having thousands of samples and Maps require a lot of crowd sourcing work as well. Apple had to put'em in the field and then clean thing up and that's what they're doing.

No one was forced into 10.8 that didn't buy a computer with it already installed.

Agree with everything (comment was more rhetorical/comical :) ).

I do take issue with the last comment. A lot of people had to move to 10.8 if, and only if, they wanted full iCloud support. I had 10.6.8 running on a second SSD in my Mac Pro and was able to get calendar, bookmarks and contacts syncing (the tricky one of the bunch, took me two days to solve the error in which constant contact duplicates were created every time is checked for changes), aside from Photo-stream, Document Syncing, etc there wasn't an issue. However I did need the other benefits to iCloud syncing with all my systems and devices, and the only way to achieve that is via 10.8. In essence, you are strong armed into upgrading unless you don't need full use of all your mobile devices (which by definition defeats a main purpose).

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
In a few years time, most people will have forgotten the days, not so long ago, when Apple would take about 10 iterations to eventually make their OS's totally rock solid. Leopard and Snow Leopard each started out really buggy, but by the end of their iterations they were totally rock solid. All that will change. Now, with a new OS each year, and only 5 iterations for Lion (so far), we're leaving the days when Apple would keep going until the OS was totally solid. We're now entering a post-Jobs era where, under Cook, near enough is good enough, then on to the next best thing. It's a consumer orientation focused on making tons of money, rather than pride of craftsmanship in the OS.

Back in the old days - I mean Leopard and Snow Leopard - I could basically sit it out on the 9th or 10th iteration of the OS, waiting for about a year till you early adopters beta tested for bugs, and then I'd join the game when the OS was mostly de-bugged. But now, these new OS's don't seen to get past the 5th iteration.

I'd say, if you study corporate history of the rise and fall of corporations, I'd give Apple about 12 years. In that time, it could go from media star to total has-been.

Lol when is getting the OS solid in 5 iterations instead of 10 a bad thing? Given companies like Nokia are still alive even though they only started making decent products recently after a 10 year hiatus, I'd say Apple is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.