Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I think they didn't have any pictures of the people being interviewed so they used a stock photo of Rahm Emanuel, who is a MAJOR player in the US business industry.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Ah, interesting.

Good to see that he is reaching out to these leaders.

Yes and no.

It is good to research the true state of the nation and some various ideas of what can be done to improve them, but part of our problem is directly and indirectly caused by some of these very same "leaders."

Yes, Warren Buffett and others are more informed and aware of the issues, but when have they done anything that didn't benefit them directly.

Who here voted for a random spike in credit card interest and reduction in credit ratings or backing corporate bankruptcy with our taxes? I know I didn't.

Most of these "leaders" could pay off a huge chunk of our national debt that they themselves created, but they want us to pay it all because it benefits them directly.

If these "leaders" aren't part of the solution, then they are part of the problem and shouldn't be called leaders.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
"Presidnet Obama met with corporate leaders including Apple CEO Tim Cook, JPMorgan Chase chief Jamie Dimon, and investor Warren Buffett, and others. "

President is spelled wrong

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Yes and no.

It is good to research the true state of the nation and some various ideas of what can be done to improve them, but part of our problem is directly and indirectly caused by some of these very same "leaders."

Yes, Warren Buffett and others are more informed and aware of the issues, but when have they done anything that didn't benefit them directly.

Who here voted for a random spike in credit card interest and reduction in credit ratings or backing corporate bankruptcy with our taxes? I know I didn't.

Most of these "leaders" could pay off a huge chunk of our national debt that they themselves created, but they want us to pay it all because it benefits them directly.

If these "leaders" aren't part of the solution, then they are part of the problem and shouldn't be called leaders.

Can't blame the leaders for everything. Eg..

Consumer buys $500,000 house on $35,000 anual salary. Bank says, "Approved!" I say "YOU'RE STUPID!".

Customer doesn't have cash, instead swipes a $2,900 LED 60" TV. Bank says, "Approved!". I say, "YOU'RE STUPID!".

If you don't have the means to afford it, then don't buy it. If the bank approves you, all they care is that they got you locked in for x amount of years with interest on the interest on the interest...

Then the Banks are like 'oh, ****!' and ask the government to get bailed out because the consumer can't pay. But instead of putting all the money to pay off the debt, they spend it on private jets, yachts, parties, etc.

How to solve this problem? Handing out money from the government won't work. Consumers will just spend it and give a temporary boost to the economy.

Businesses need to be forced to pay taxes in the US if they sell products here. And the country needs to sit poor for years. Consumers shouldn't be allowed to add on debt. Instead, be forced to pay off loans/credits. Then after 3-5 years once the consumer debt is only in the millions, can we start trading again. And finally, stop the GOVERNMENT spending!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I'm going to cry if he doesn't visit the rest of the world because come next election, he's going to change the law to run for a third term to finish vacationing. That'll be the only 'change' he ever made!

The Obama’s Vacation List

– March 19, 2012, The elder daughter, is spending her springbreak in Mexican city of Oaxaca in the company of 12 friends, Malia Ann Obama, are staying at a downto....

Well, I didn't bother reading your list, but I'm sure you could create a list like this for any president that has been elected. My comment is not meant to be a for/against Obama, just stating that these lists are BS. All one sided, no Pro/Con effort put into it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm going to cry if he doesn't visit the rest of the world because come next election, he's going to change the law to run for a third term to finish vacationing. That'll be the only 'change' he ever made!

This post is so far off topic it's absolutely asinine. We've seen vacation lists for other presidents too. It's easy to be irritated by them. That's an issue in itself. It's always possible to cap how much they are granted for personal expenses. This isn't the thread for it. Go make one out of your post if you want to focus solely on that.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
As oppose to someone like Mitt right :rolleyes:

Mitt is amazing. He has lived the dream of most Americans, at least financially, and a good life in general and wants to benefit EVERYONE (not only the poor). I still can't comprehend how America passed on the opportunity to have someone as great as this lead our country and instead chose a low productivity, former community organizer that is so shady that he won't even release his college record (whereas Mitt has been an open book cause he has nothing to hide).

Ah, you must be one of the 1% who would benefit from a Romney administration.

I'm glad Obama is willing to reach out and learn from others. A great leader can't operate in a vacuum.

I'm one of the 99% and I'm positive that my expenses have/are going up as a result of Obama being president...Once again, lack of understanding here. Obama rarely opens up to other opposing views on policy, which is why this particular meeting with CEO's has got so much press because he needs to have people think he's doing something useful.

Funny how the only time Obama isn't on vacation was during the campaign to get re-elected

Haha, my favorite quote of the debates is when he said, "I spend every day working to solve the economy" ....except Monday through Thursday's when I'm out golfing, is what he meant to say. My gosh, even my friends who consider themselves "frequent golfers" do not golf as much as this president, notwithstanding all the other vacations he takes on Airforce 1.

If he was truly concerned about all you "99%" people, he would do something even as simple as forgoing golfing as giving all that money he spends on that, to people without jobs as a result of his lack (or Bush's, whoever you want to blame) of keeping his promises.

Last edited:

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Read: "Obama meets with Tim Cook and other CEOs to get advice on the critical state of this country, because Obama has no idea what he's doing."

Obama is such a joke. I still can't believe how ignorant our nation is as a whole to have elected him to a second term.

If you don't like Obama, you should back up your argument with facts.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
This post is so far off topic it's absolutely asinine. We've seen vacation lists for other presidents too. It's easy to be irritated by them. That's an issue in itself. It's always possible to cap how much they are granted for personal expenses. This isn't the thread for it. Go make one out of your post if you want to focus solely on that.

But it's never been made so public on the Internet and TV. Maybe because citizens felt with other presidents, it was justified. You did a job well done, etc..

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How do Steve jobs followers feel about Jobs openly disliking Obama and saying he was headed towards a one-term?

Just like the death of those sub-9.7" tablets that are DOA upon arrival.

This fiscal cliff was arrived at an accelerated pace due to obama's needless spending.

I wonder if well get an update as to what O and these CE-O's discussed specifically..

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
But it's never been made so public on the Internet and TV. Maybe because citizens felt with other presidents, it was justified. You did a job well done, etc..

I didn't have an issue with your statement. It's just that you were trying to plug it into another topic as this one made the front page. It was an issue of placement rather than message.

How do Steve jobs followers feel about Jobs openly disliking Obama and saying he was headed towards a one-term?

He said a lot of things. I'll just leave it at that.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Read: "Obama meets with Tim Cook and other CEOs to get advice on the critical state of this country, because Obama has no idea what he's doing."

Obama is such a joke. I still can't believe how ignorant our nation is as a whole to have elected him to a second term.

Kind of funny you mention that. Other than bumper stickers & this forum, I know about 5 people in 4 years + that admitted voting for him (either time).

wondrous.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009

And I can't believe how ignorant people are who think the alternative would have been better.

I never said I supported Mitt. Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm a libertarian.

That said, Romney would have run the country more like a business instead of a humanitarian society, which is what needs to happen. This made him the better option. He wasn't the optimal candidate, but I think he understood that the government is too big, and doesn't do a good job at running things.

We're on the highway to Greece people. The government isn't the answer. They're the cause.

Ah, I see...what we need in your world view is less compassion...more of a "you're all on your own, sucks to be you" kind of outlook. Yeah, no thanks. No one wants to live in your heartless world. Except for people like yourself maybe. Until you need help or a leg up of course. Then a different tune will be sung.

And I guess this is what it boils down to and where we are at. One group of people believes greedy big business is the reason we are where we are, and the other group believes that the evil big government is why we are where we are.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Well, I didn't bother reading your list, but I'm sure you could create a list like this for any president that has been elected. My comment is not meant to be a for/against Obama, just stating that these lists are BS. All one sided, no Pro/Con effort put into it.

Yup, agreed. People need to fight past the initial negative thought the majority of us have and say something constructive. The list would be great if compared to prior presidents, past accomplishments and things that were positive over the years ect.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US

This fiscal cliff was arrived at an accelerated pace due to obama's needless spending.

I wonder if well get an update as to what O and these CE-O's discussed specifically..

Steve Jobs didn't dislike Obama. Steve Jobs offered to help create commercials for Obama's campaign. At the technology summit, Steve Jobs was frustrated at corporate tax rates, but I'm pretty sure that was him just being a CEO. I'm not sure how Steve voted over the years, but he came across as a pretty strong liberal in Walter Isaacson's biography. At least he spent money on product development very liberally. :D

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
If you don't like Obama, you should back up your argument with facts.

The earlier article I posted supports my viewpoints. The more government gets its hands on policies that are "for the benefit of the country", the more you have people lining up with their hands out (food stamps, Obamacare, etc).

What happened to hard work? My late grandfather came to this country and dug holes for new train tracks that were under construction. He was worried he wouldn't get a green card, and he had to wait in line and get a sponsor in order to get into the country. He worked his tail off, eventually became a carpenter, earned a decent enough living, bought a house, raised a family, and that's why I can even sit here right now and type this message. I was given an opportunity, and I will work as hard as I can to make sure my ancestors' efforts weren't for nothing.

Today, there's a sense of entitlement in the population that's out of control. We have illegals that hop the fence, and stick their palms out asking "where's mine?". You have people leaching off of entitlement programs that were put there as a last resort for emergency situations and times of great need. We have programs like social security, that are on the verge of bankruptcy, but reform will never happen. Since its inception, the age at which you can claim social security benefits has decreased, yet the life expentancy of the population has increased. It's terrible fiscal policy.

The country has stage 4 cancer, and in my mind, the majority of the population is too naive to wake up and support the treatment we need to get healthy again. Again, government is not the answer, it is the cause. I dislike Obama because he supports the policies that I think are killing the country.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Tim: Mr. President, we would really love for you to lower the corporate tax rate so we can bring a big chunk of our $100 billion back to the USA.

Obama: No! More taxes! We like to spend spend spend!

And... your avatar is the worst team in the history of the NFL. You are a one man comedy show.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

The sign of a great leader is someone who isn't afraid to reach out to others for their opinions and get all sides of the argument. Would you rather he just do whatever he thinks is right without getting advice from anyone else? Now THAT would be ignorant.

You are clueless. President Obama has taken way less vacation time than the previous few Presidents. Go look it up if you don't believe me, but stop spouting crap that is completely false.

Steve Jobs is dead.

Uhh, this budget crisis and dealing with the sequestration would have happened regardless of who is the President. Most of the decisions around this are up to Congress anyways.

Mitt is amazing. He has lived the dream of most Americans, at least financially, and a good life in general and wants to benefit EVERYONE (not only the poor). I still can't comprehend how America passed on the opportunity to have someone as great as this lead our country and instead chose a low productivity, former community organizer that is so shady that he won't even release his college record (whereas Mitt has been an open book cause he has nothing to hide).

This is from the Onion right?

I'm one of the 99% and I'm positive that my expenses have/are going up as a result of Obama being president...Once again, lack of understanding here.

Apparently.

Obama rarely opens up to other opposing views on policy, which is why this particular meeting with CEO's has got so much press because he needs to have people think he's doing something useful.

This is just straight up false. Obama has been more than willing to listen to EVERYONE'S viewpoint from day one. It's not his fault that many people just straight up refused to work with him (for whatever reason).

Haha, my favorite quote of the debates is when he said, "I spend every day working to solve the economy" ....except Monday through Thursday's when I'm out golfing, is what he meant to say. My gosh, even my friends who consider themselves "frequent golfers" do not golf as much as this president, notwithstanding all the other vacations he takes on Airforce 1.

No human being can work 24/7. Anyone needs time to wind down and relax. President Obama likes playing golf and basketball. Other Presidents have had other hobbies, like Bush liked to go spend time at his ranch in Texas. You have unrealistic expectations if you expect the guy to never take some time to have fun or relax. With the most stressful and difficult job in the world, you need it.

And he is the President, so yes, wherever he travels it will be on Air Force One (well, if it's on a USAF plane).

You do realize that we have to pay for secret service protection and such whether he is in the White House in Washington or anywhere else in the world too.

If he was truly concerned about all you "99%" people, he would do something even as simple as forgoing golfing as giving all that money he spends on that, to people without jobs as a result of his lack (or Bush's, whoever you want to blame) of keeping his promises.

What is he a charity now? Just because he's elected President he has to give away his personal money to help others? Sure, right after you sell your fancy new iPhone and donate that money to charity too... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.