Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Hey I am considering purchasing this case.

I am a little late for the FE, so for the SE... Are the links metal or clear? It looks to me that the:

Gun Metal: Clear Links
Silver: Clear Links

Black: Metal Links

Is this right? Can some one confirm? Thank you.

The links are never metal. they are a polymer, in other words plastic. I believe they are all clear now for all models. They have to be a polymer to preserve the signal. Surrounding the phone perimeter band with metal would produce a Faraday Cage that would most certainly degrade the cell antenna performance.

zentrani

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
The links are never metal. they are a polymer, in other words plastic. I believe they are all clear now for all models. They have to be a polymer to preserve the signal. Surrounding the phone perimeter band with metal would produce a Faraday Cage that would most certainly degrade the cell antenna performance.

My mistake! From the pictures I have been saying, they seemed to be opaque so I thought the FE were metal rather than plastic. I would prefer opaque over clear for the links.

In that case, I think the black has an opaque plastic link, so I'll probably end up going with that. How often are there discounts? I remember there was a 20% d/c a while back. Should I wait for one?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
My mistake! From the pictures I have been saying, they seemed to be opaque so I thought the FE were metal rather than plastic. I would prefer opaque over clear for the links.

In that case, I think the black has an opaque plastic link, so I'll probably end up going with that. How often are there discounts? I remember there was a 20% d/c a while back. Should I wait for one?

Sorry, now that I look more carefully I think the black is opaque. No idea where 20% off can be found or whether it will come for the iPhone 5. I think the common 10% is the best you can hope for.

zentrani

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Sorry, now that I look more carefully I think the black is opaque. No idea where 20% off can be found or whether it will come for the iPhone 5. I think the common 10% is the best you can hope for.

NP. I'm in architecture so i'm very picky about the details! And yeah, I found the 10% off. I'm just waiting to see what my best friend thinks before I jump in to it. If he calls me a loon, i'll probably not go for it! Need to save money for masters....

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
NP. I'm in architecture so i'm very picky about the details! And yeah, I found the 10% off. I'm just waiting to see what my best friend thinks before I jump in to it. If he calls me a loon, i'll probably not go for it! Need to save money for masters....

Coincidentally I've been an Architect for 40 plus or minus years. Small world. these cases fit with design and Architecture being in everything down to everyday objects.

zentrani

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I think you may just have convinced me to buy this case, damn you man! Yeah, I just graduated 2 years ago from my undergrad. I'm enjoying it, but man, is it tough work for what little pay I am making right now! Working on my masters portfolio right now.

Thanks for the input, and yeah I do think this is a great design, even though it costs a lot for what seemingly most people will think is so little.

Less is More (Less costs more in this case maybe? haha puns inside puns)

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I bought a First Edition and ordered a silver. How's that for crazy.
Good luck, There may not be much money, but to me it was the most rewarding profession I could have been in.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Interested in affect on GPS

Hey, after driving around with it for a while, has anyone noticed an adverse effect on your GPS program or Maps?

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Just got an email from FedEx showing my case has been delivered, although their tracking info online doesn't indicate so. Will be going home on my lunch break to get it! Über excited!!!

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Why did you do that ?

I ordered the First Edition the day it became available. It's great but when the silver became available I thought it would look better on my white phone. I always prefer the more natural metal look although I do realize it's a finish. Element offered an exchange, but i just couldn't do without one for the weeks the exchange might take. I also thought by switching back and forth I would not tire of the design as fast and maybe I would mix parts (not so sure of this). If one gets damaged I'm immediately set with a replacement.

But still, it's a little crazy.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I ordered the First Edition the day it became available. It's great but when the silver became available I thought it would look better on my white phone. I always prefer the more natural metal look although I do realize it's a finish. Element offered an exchange, but i just couldn't do without one for the weeks the exchange might take. I also thought by switching back and forth I would not tire of the design as fast and maybe I would mix parts (not so sure of this). If one gets damaged I'm immediately set with a replacement.

But still, it's a little crazy.

I agree, thats a little crazy but I also agree with you about the choice of color. I think that the silver adds up just perfect in addition to the white iPhone 5.

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Silver will look so much better with the white iPhone. No doubt about it. Also, the silver aluminum home button from Spigen will match so well.

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Here's my speed test with the case on. With data like this, I don't think I need to run one with the case off. Also receiving 5 full bars as you can see in the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 50

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
I will say that I need to trim a few places of the foam shock absorbing pad that lines parts of the inside of the frame. Others have mentioned this as well.

----------

And now that I have the beauty in hand, I can't wait to get the CF back plate when Element gets it ready.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I will say that I need to trim a few places of the foam shock absorbing pad that lines parts of the inside of the frame. Others have mentioned this as well.

----------

And now that I have the beauty in hand, I can't wait to get the CF back plate when Element gets it ready.

Hey, I did not know there was a foam liner inside the case. So we would not really have to use the "Rash Guards" that are included? This is good to know, as I thought the Rash Guards were required.

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Hey, I did not know there was a foam liner inside the case. So we would not really have to use the "Rash Guards" that are included? This is good to know, as I thought the Rash Guards were required.

There are rash guards as well. Rash guards just keep the aluminum from scratching on the iPhone along the sides. Up to you if you want rash guards on it. I went with a skin wrap instead. I can see the S5 scratching the iPhone on a fall even with the foam pad.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Here's my speed test with the case on. With data like this, I don't think I need to run one with the case off. Also receiving 5 full bars as you can see in the pic.

I can get those speeds on my iPhone 5 too....with Wifi. Lmao, I'm in a main city in Michigan with LTE still 1 1/2 - 2 years away.:(:(:(

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
There are rash guards as well. Rash guards just keep the aluminum from scratching on the iPhone along the sides. Up to you if you want rash guards on it. I went with a skin wrap instead. I can see the S5 scratching the iPhone on a fall even with the foam pad.
Show us a picture of that baby!

trdspectacoma

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
at least you guys are getting LTE

over here in hawaii there is only one place that gets LTE, and that is completely on a different island.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.