Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihawkins01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Hi there,

I was wondering, to those who own both, which out of the two do you find yourself picking up more often?

Reason why: My laptop has finally given up and wanted the MBA; however I decided to get an iPad to tie me over til the 2013 MBA (in hope of a retina screen!)

However, after a week I realize ultimately what I need is a new laptop, so I am in two minds, whether to sell the iPad and put the cash towards MBA or some how try an afford both!

I have really grown to the iPad, but I am beginning to wonder whether I would still make use of it with a MBA.

Do you find the MBA significantly less portable than the iPad?

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Hi there,

I was wondering, to those who own both, which out of the two do you find yourself picking up more often?

Reason why: My laptop has finally given up and wanted the MBA; however I decided to get an iPad to tie me over til the 2013 MBA (in hope of a retina screen!)

However, after a week I realize ultimately what I need is a new laptop, so I am in two minds, whether to sell the iPad and put the cash towards MBA or some how try an afford both!

I have really grown to the iPad, but I am beginning to wonder whether I would still make use of it with a MBA.

I have both, and use the MBA WAY more than the Ipad. But in trying the mini, I don't think that would be as true. The mini has a portableness that exceeds that of the MBA or the iPad 3. And has all of the goodness of the Iphone without being too small. But if given one or the other, the MBA hands down.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I have a 13" Air and an iPad mini, and it depends. For pretty much anything that involves content creation, I go for the Air. A fair amount of my consumption is done on the iPad though, and it is generally my go-to device for looking something up quickly or just surfing around the web.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I am on the air a bit more often for work. For play i am on the iPad but i do both on both devices. If finances were more constrained, i would go with the Air first. (and do more on the iPhone)

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Definitely on the MBA a lot more than the iPad.

Usually on the iPad when I am in bed or just relaxing on the couch or something.

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
I had both, and wound up giving the iPad to my daughter. To be more useful to me, the iPad needed a keyboard, which made it rather like a crippled Air, anyway, so I just went ahead and bought the Air.

I think that the answer to your question will depend on how useful or limiting you find the iPad to be; there isn't really that much difference in portability.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Definitely on the MBA a lot more than the iPad.

Usually on the iPad when I am in bed or just relaxing on the couch or something.

Same here (though MBA is due to arrive only in 2-3 weeks), but with my current Netbook I use it far more due to video editing and writing.

The iPad2 we have is used mostly by my wife or when we are already in bed and a laptop is not as handy as the iPad before sleeping.

Go for the MBA if you can afford only one, if you can stretch yourself get a iPad Mini instead as this would be a great addition and would make you more portable. You can use a iPad Mini (or even the Ipad) in the bus/train etc., but ho wmany pull out their MBA's?

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
More on the MBA. I prefer to use the MBA for chatting programs like imessage or Gtalk. It also has the ability to access flash content.

I tend to read more articles/books on the iPad before bed or use it while watching TV.

I do with the iPad was able to completely replace the MBA..then I would've gotten a rMBP15"

ihawkins01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Thanks for the input. Yeah I personally free I would use the MBA more often than the iPad. It is a great device, but even watching catch up tv can be difficult when resting it on your lap.

I think I'll get the iPad mini when I have some more disposable money!

Also, it seems like the feedback from research is that the retina MBA may not be in 2013 and therefore if it was it would be more expensive for it? What do you lot think about this assumption?

BeginnerXP

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I use MBA as my primary computer, watching movies (iPad can't handle MKV with styled subs), working on documents etc. But I bring iPad with me everywhere. I prefer reading on iPad, portrait mode is far superior for reading PDF/comic books, plus the crisp text on iPad display making it much more pleasant to read as well.

MBA is for content creation, while it can do content consumption, it can't do as well as iPad, and vice versa, iPad sucks for content creation. If you can afford both, I think it's the best option. Nothing can beat reading on the bed using iPad, imo.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of iPad even if MBA gets retina display, iPad mini is also too small for pure reading because my eyesight isn't perfect, so I prefer that text isn't too small.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012

I would get the MBA if only one choice like others have said...but if you can afford both. I also read manuals on my iPad while on my MBA! The iPad 3 is great for this with retina. I might be playing a simulation game on the MBA and have the manual open in the iPad 3 right next to me. Flight and Train simulation games can be very complicated if you want them to be.

That way I don't have to close windows, minimize stuff. I can keep the entire game on screen on the MBA pause it, read the instructions, or airport info, whatever on the retina iPad!

The best of both world's! If you decide to keep both! Plus what everyone else said about reading at night, during a show, etc... the iPad shines!

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
I use my iPad as does my wife hers for most daily mundane email checking, Amazon ordering, wikipedia checking sorts of things as well as light news watching (800 channels via Slingbox on the iPad). But, for real computer work, on images (I am a photographer) or writing, maintaining databases, genealogical research, and printing, it is to one of my MBAs I turn.

My new iPad mini has become my book reader.

qwerter

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
If I'm going to sit down and read for a bit, I pick up the iPad--Instapaper and Flipboard for news, iBooks for ePubs. But when I want to hammer out some emails or journal entries, I need the MBA. I also frequently use them together, watching videos on the iPad while I'm working on the MBA, or reading from scripts on the iPad while recording on the MBA. Totally depends on your workflow.

That said, since they're relatively similar in size and weight, I tend to throw the MBA in my bag when I go out. I can do more with it, and it feels less fragile to me. I just wish it had the battery life of the iPad.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I use the Air for most all work and the iPad for everything else, plus a lot of convenient e-mail (work and non).

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
Hi there,

I have an 11 inch 2011 MBA and got bought my iPad 4 for my birthday and its fair to say I use both. The MacBook gets used for heavier tasks such as movie downloads, photo editing and anything to do with longer typing. The iPad is mostly used for browsing, movie watching on the go and iMessage when my iPhone is dead or not around me (or texting in disguise at work). It all depends on your own judgement really, both are very capable devices

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have a 13" Air and almost never use my iPad. The only time I use it is in bed for media/browsing, which is rare as I usually read books before going to bed. For me, the Air is infinitely more useful and essentially just as portable.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I use both almost 50/50. For times when I plan to do a lot of typing or don't need/want to hold up the display I choose the Air. When I am at home in my room I would use either my Air or iMac. When I am in the living room or right before bedtime I am much more inclined to use the iPad for consuming media, or if I am out and about.

I can use the Air for media consumption, but it's not as pleasant. For real work, the iPad cannot take the place of my Air/iMac. My iMac/Air/iPad all compliment each other very nicely. The Air can temporarily replace the iMac when out of town. When I go out, depending on where I can, I can just as easily pick up my Air as I do my iPad, they are both very portable. If I go out for long and I need the battery power I go with my iPad.

The fact that the 11" Air is not retina does not bother me one bit. I have an iPad 3 so I know how it's like to use a retina display, and it's gorgeous, but that doesn't mean the display on the Air is garbage, it's still quite pleasant to use.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
To consume data, I use the iPad. It is my Kindle App reader and my quick "pick it up and surf or do a Google search" device. Also, I play the occasional game on it.

But to CREATE data, I use my laptop. The physical keyboard and the glass track pad with mouse pointer is essential, in my opinion, when I am writing more than a paragraph and care about formatting or dealing with spreadsheets. Also, there are a lot more printing options with the Air.

In all honesty, I probably use the iPad more than my Air because I do a lot of reading on the Kindle App. But if I had to pick just one device, I would always choose the Air. And besides, Kindle's are cheap now ;)

my 2 cents.

kooskoos1814

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I have an iPad 2 and a MBA 13'' 2011 and actually use both.

I'm a student in engineering and use the MBA most of my time, but, still need the iPad to annotate PDF's for my lectures (thanks to the touchscreen, with a stylet it's great to take notes).

Actually, I always carry both and take one or the other depending on what I want to do. They are really complementary.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Hi there,

I'm in the opposite position. I bought a 2011 MBA 13" and find I don't use it anymore. While having a keyboard means I write in my blog using it, I know I could get an ipad and a keyboard and do just as well. I LOVE my MBA but it doesnt get used.

My iPhone is my go to because I always have it on me. Right now there is only 1 thing that my MBA can do that an iOS can't *that I would need in my day to day usage*, and thats the ability to add music directly to the Music app in iOS. I bought albums on iTunes but I also buy vinyl. Most new vinyl for new albums has a card to download the mp3's. While there are download apps in iOS, none that I know of will allow you to add music to the music app.

Lately I've been thinking about selling my MBA, pickup up an ipad or iPad Mini, setting myself up as a user on my daughter's MacBook with itunes in the cloud and using that to add music....problem is when she goes to her Mom's for the weekend....I'm SOL

quincy164

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
MBA or IPad

In my practice the MBA hands down. Personal use, iBooks, browsing, etc., iPad hands down. I am also using the iPad ore and more at work for note taking, Evernote, presentations, etc. If I could only get one...MBA.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I use both, but I use my iPad mini more frequently, but I carry a backpack that has the following;

Canon 650D (RebelT4i) and assorted lenses.
MBA 11"
iPad Mini
Korg Kaossilator2
Assorted accesories for all of the above.

I find I use the MBA when I have work to do or other more full-on tasks, but the iPad is my main media consumption device on the move and I use it to stream to my AppleTV at home if I haven't put the videos I want into my main PC iTunes library.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I have a 13" Air and an iPad 2nd gen (4th gen on the way :D).

When it comes to work, my Air gets almost all of the usage, with the iPad being used for viewing and second screen usage through AirDisplay. I tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad for work, but it didn't fit my work pattern.

As for the iPad, this gets the most usage at home, and it's also the take-with-me computer when I go out to meet friends or errands. I find it convenient for reading stuff on the go, lists, games, or even a large-scale PDA at times.

If I had to let one go, I'd let the iPad go and keep the Air. Fortunately, I can afford both. :)

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I'm looking to semi-retire my MacBook Air upon the release of the next generation iPad. The only thing keeping me from going full iPad is that I don't know what I would do with my 30GB music library and 20GB photo library. I guess we are expected to have some sort of Mac in the house to store those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.