Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
After I finish Skyward Sword there is a good chance I won't be playing on a console for years to come.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Sadly, I think this is the first Nintendo console I'm not going to buy.

It looks like Wii 2.0, and just doesn't appeal to me. My Wii has been sitting in my entertainment cabinet for at least two years unused (probably since Super Mario Galaxy 2).

I'm sure Nintendo's first-party franchise games will be excellent for it, but I can't justify it.

I did read where you can transfer your virtual console games over to it. So that's good for upgraders.

I'm hoping the next XBOX turns out to be like a piece of home theater equipment/ultimate set top box.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I picked up a Deluxe this morning before they were sold out and I've watching reviews because I own Nintendo stock.

Almost all reviews about the console are positive or talk about its potential. I think it's interesting how Nintendo introduces disruptive tech every generation and banks on it. With this console the 2 screen concept is basically screwing with tablets, handheld gaming, set top boxes, and Harmony remotes all at the same time.

The handheld gaming disruption I think is kinda interesting. The draw of the Vita is it's the closest you can get to console quality gaming on a handheld device. I'm pretty sure for many people a lot of that Vita game time is spent on the couch, lying in bed, etc, inside the home. With the Wii U Gamepad, you can actually have a console quality game streaming to you as long as you stay home. You're now lying in bed playing actual Assassins Creed 3 instead of lying in bed playing Liberations. Ignoring Sony IP, for people who don't bring their Vita outside, Nintendo just took away the Vita's competitive edge.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I never play(ed) my PSP at home, don't think I would ever play a Vita at home. Why would I settle for a tiny screen when I can play on my PS3 on the plasma? But to each their own, I guess. :)

I'm very skeptical about the WiiU, moreso than I was about the Wii. I am sure the next wave of Mario and Zelda games is just as much fun as the previous dozen waves, but beyond that, I am doubtful. There are probably quite a few developers out there, scratching their heads, thinking "so what do I do with that second screen on the controller??". :confused: It seems to be the Nintendo way nowadays - "here's a new gimmick - find a way to use it!!!" :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
http://kotaku.com/5961593/zombiu-is-like-an-fps-demons-souls-with-zombies

Another positive one for ZombiU. "Demons Souls with zombies" makes it sound great. The two sites I trust most (Kotaku and Eurogamer) seem to like it so I'll keep that in the preorder.

I never play(ed) my PSP at home, don't think I would ever play a Vita at home. Why would I settle for a tiny screen when I can play on my PS3 on the plasma? But to each their own, I guess. :)

For the games you don't get on those big consoles. I'm enjoying the story in AC3 Liberation way more than the PS3 AC3, for example. It's easier to get going on handhelds too, I've got a custom fightstick for my PS3 yet I still prefer playing SFxT on the Vita because I can keep it in sleep mode, I can dive in and out easily :). (Take away Sleep mode on these handhelds and they wouldn't get as much play from me)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Watch this... ZombiU extended gameplay / hands on.

I just watched it. Despite the games obvious clipping issues, it really does look fresh and interesting and screaming with atmosphere. (Unlike the recent resident evil 6)

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-zombiu/17-6810/

I think in future all reviews should just be 1 hour playthroughs like this because it tells you more about the game, its shortcomings and the gameplay than any review actually does and at the end of the day the review score is only someone else's subjective opinion. Watching extended gameplay like this you can judge whether it interests you or not.

Personally I think it looks great, though it really does look like condemned. :)

Antares

macrumors 68000
Wii U, I did!

I didn't pre-order but managed to get a deluxe at Best Buy before they sold out. They were giving out slips to people, this morning, before they opened. So glad I was able to snag one!

It's an awesome system. Totally worth getting. I can't wait to see what future games come out for this!

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Wii U, I did!

I didn't pre-order but managed to get a deluxe at Best Buy before they sold out. They were giving out slips to people, this morning, before they opened. So glad I was able to snag one!

It's an awesome system. Totally worth getting. I can't wait to see what future games come out for this!

Heh, I could walk in just about any store and get one on Sunday afternoon. They did a great job of "selling out" the preorders...

If I buy one it'll be next year, but I highly doubt I will. Nintendo tarnished its name too much in my mind with the Wii.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
You're buying for a single game? A game which most reviews have said could have been done on a Wii in terms of concept, it just has slightly better graphics? I personally wouldn't pay £300+ for that...

Each to their own I guess!

I would!

I won't go into all the excruciating details of my reasoning, but I figure that my time is valuable, and better spent playing the best games, rather than just so-so games.

If I buy each console, but only the top games for each one, I'll be much better off gaming-wise than just restricting myself to one console.

Concrete example: at US$300, the Wii U costs the equivalent of five US$60 games. Let's use that US$300 as a planning figure for the cost of a new, next-gen system (systems do get cheaper with age) and US$60 for the cost of a new game (again, games get cheaper with age)...I could buy ten games for $600, or I could buy a different console and the "best" games for the same amount of money (or wait and buy stuff later cheaper).

It used to be more important "back in the day" (early 1990's) to have multiple consoles, as the first party games only available on a single console were much more common. These days, with the costs of production so high, game companies have to try to publish on as many consoles as possible.

Today, I can find I can get by with a PC and a Nintendo, and not really miss much (if any) of the rest. I do occasionally itch for a Vita, but, I have a lot of work, and a huge game backlog already...

----------

Watch this... ZombiU extended gameplay / hands on.

I just watched it. Despite the games obvious clipping issues, it really does look fresh and interesting and screaming with atmosphere. (Unlike the recent resident evil 6)

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-zombiu/17-6810/

I think in future all reviews should just be 1 hour playthroughs like this because it tells you more about the game, its shortcomings and the gameplay than any review actually does and at the end of the day the review score is only someone else's subjective opinion. Watching extended gameplay like this you can judge whether it interests you or not.

I agree with you. In general, I find most reviews to be very superficial, and I'm not at all convinced the reviewer actually played the thing for any length of time.

I'm finding gameplay footage on YouTube to be much more informative.

The other issue is that the Wii U gamepad really is a new technology, and I'm not sure we have really all "come to grips with it" (really, really bad pun, sorry) in terms of understanding how to use it and integrate it into our gaming.

ZombieU looks like another game I wasn't interested in initially, but as I play around with the Wii U more, I'm getting more into the concept. It seems clear that Ubisoft is way ahead of most other game developers in having a vision for the Wii U.

If anybody uses the Pro Pad, let me know what that is like!

Antares

macrumors 68000
Heh, I could walk in just about any store and get one on Sunday afternoon. They did a great job of "selling out" the preorders...

If I buy one it'll be next year, but I highly doubt I will. Nintendo tarnished its name too much in my mind with the Wii.

The basic models were the ones that were most commonly left....and probably what you were seeing. The black, deluxe models are what sold out in a matter of minutes. Sunday morning, there were people going store to store to try and find the deluxe.

I know that I wouldn't have bought a basic model if all that was left. I would wait until I could get my hands on a deluxe model.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Out with the old.

nOEdtl.jpg

In with the new.

6gROnl.jpg

I'm never gonna finish Halo 4 at this rate.

Most excitingly, I can now play Wii games on my iMac display. The HDMI adapter I purchased for my Wii previously didn't work. (It looks like poo, obviously, but my iMac is bigger than my TV and the panel itself is much nicer.)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
The basic models were the ones that were most commonly left....and probably what you were seeing. The black, deluxe models are what sold out in a matter of minutes. Sunday morning, there were people going store to store to try and find the deluxe.

I know that I wouldn't have bought a basic model if all that was left. I would wait until I could get my hands on a deluxe model.

I saw both black and white models at multiple outlets on Sunday afternoon, they didn't sell out in minutes from what I can tell.

Like anything new and shiny I'm sure Nintendo will constrain the supply chain and make them scarce in the holiday season, releasing them in large batches rather than a steady stream. The hype is nowhere to be found for the WiiU, at least in comparison to the Wii its pretty much non-existent

Antares

macrumors 68000
I saw both black and white models at multiple outlets on Sunday afternoon, they didn't sell out in minutes from what I can tell.

Like anything new and shiny I'm sure Nintendo will constrain the supply chain and make them scarce in the holiday season, releasing them in large batches rather than a steady stream. The hype is nowhere to be found for the WiiU, at least in comparison to the Wii its pretty much non-existent

Strange. People were lined up outside stores in the Chicago area. But I agree on the Wii hype. I can't see people getting as excited about a console launch as much as the Wii had. That was insane.

But people already have their Back Wii U's up on eBay and Amazon for $450. We'll see how long that lasts.

MaxZero

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Like anything new and shiny I'm sure Nintendo will constrain the supply chain and make them scarce in the holiday season

The Telegraph's website mentioned that they have manufactured 3.5 million consoles, which is an improvement over the 3 million Wiis available last time.

I have no doubt that the initial units will sell for christmas, but it wont go into short supply for months on end like its predecessor.

There is no strategic benefit for Nintendo to throttle the supply chain because the unit costs more to manufacture than they are selling it for, they will want to sell as many units as possible at the launch price before new competition warrants a price cut.
Nintendo's home console profits (predicted to be non existent for the next year at least) is now software dependent so they need as many units out there for good game sales.

I will get a Wii U at some point once more games are available, if there was to be an F-Zero HD, i would be first in line to pick that up

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I still think at some point we will see Nintendo pack up their hardware and start licensing their software IP to other systems. There is much more profit in selling their iconic titles under license and they seem to be struggling on the hardware side as of late.

Nintendo will eventually go the way of Sega business wise, just a matter of time. Sony and MS have other business groups to offset their gaming offerings, Nintendo like Sega does not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U was the last Nintendo console, I can see them keeping their portable market but even that segment is getting a bit convoluted.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still think at some point we will see Nintendo pack up their hardware and start licensing their software IP to other systems. There is much more profit in selling their iconic titles under license and they seem to be struggling on the hardware side as of late.

Nintendo will eventually go the way of Sega business wise, just a matter of time. Sony and MS have other business groups to offset their gaming offerings, Nintendo like Sega does not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U was the last Nintendo console, I can see them keeping their portable market but even that segment is getting a bit convoluted.
Come on now ;)
Why would Nintendo pack up hardware after having the best selling handheld consoles for every gen since they created the market, and the best selling console of last gen? They're on the up from the GC days. Their first party games are highly rated and sell very well, they're leading the hardware charts. But somehow they're going to stop selling hardware?

I do worry for Sony, which is a shame because they're doing a really good job (Playstation Plus, PS Vita) but they're haemorrhaging money. Right now the PS Vita and PS3 are my platforms of choice, too, so I'd like them to do well.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Come on now ;)
Why would Nintendo pack up hardware after having the best selling handheld consoles for every gen since they created the market, and the best selling console of last gen? They're on the up from the GC days. Their first party games are highly rated and sell very well, they're leading the hardware charts. But somehow they're going to stop selling hardware?

I do worry for Sony, which is a shame because they're doing a really good job (Playstation Plus, PS Vita) but they're haemorrhaging money. Right now the PS Vita and PS3 are my platforms of choice, too, so I'd like them to do well.
Yeah, not to mention the fact that the Wii was just shy of 100 million unit sales in September.
I can see Sony pulling out of the handheld market in all honesty. I can't tell you how sad I would be if the Playstation brand were to die.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

Nintendo has enough money in the bank to survive 10 years in the red. So if they do pack up, it won't be anytime soon.

And I think Nintendo is onto something with that TVii feature. There are people out there who pay $300-$400 for a Harmony Remote. Here you have $350 for a gaming console and a gamepad that doubles as a Harmony Remote enhanced with internet connectivity

Disruptive tech FTW

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed

In New York I walked into couple of shops and saw the deluxe version just sitting there...no lines any where in sight. I was tempted to buy one just for ZombieU but I have too many unfinished games right now to consider a new system. I'll wait until a Metroid or Zelda game is announce to buy one.

Note: Guys who got it how's the miiverse and internet play on this bad boy.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In New York I walked into couple of shops and saw the deluxe version just sitting there...no lines any where in sight. I was tempted to buy one just for ZombieU but I have too many unfinished games right now to consider a new system. I'll wait until a Metroid or Zelda game is announce to buy one.

Note: Guys who got it how's the miiverse and internet play on this bad boy.

Bless

The guys who got it are probably still waiting to download the 5GB update to access those features..

Seriously Nintendo 5GB? They should have manufactured DVDs with the update on and issued it with every Wii u free of charge so people didn't have to sit through the frustration of new console, can't play syndrome.

Likewise in countries with notably slower broadband infrastructure 5GB on day 1 is an insult.

Add to the fact that if it gets disrupted at any stage (thinking of those here that use mobile broadband dongles) then your new Wii U is banjaxed and has to be sent back to Nintendo.

Packing the update at retail stores to people buying the machine could have avoided that too.

Seriously I find it very very bad form.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Add to the fact that if it gets disrupted at any stage (thinking of those here that use mobile broadband dongles) then your new Wii U is banjaxed and has to be sent back to Nintendo.

Packing the update at retail stores to people buying the machine could have avoided that too.

Seriously I find it very very bad form.
That's annoying as hell. (I've got a 60mbps connection so not for me :p), but losing connection won't break your console. It downloads it first, then installs. It doesn't install as it downloads. Unless you mean you're so frustrated waiting for the update that you flip out Hulk style and break it. Which I think is covered in the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.