Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxsmacs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
SK
Wondering how the iPhone geotags the photos? I really like it when it does that and I suspect that it uses a combination of GPS (satellite) and cellular towers when it does that.

Since my carrier charges me for receiving text messages when I am abroad, I was wondering if there was a way to put my iphone on airplane mode, so i would not be able to receive any messages or calls, but still be able to have the photos geotagged? This will prove most useful for vacations abroad.

Thanks.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
iOS uses a combination of the following techniques to determine your location:
  • WiFi networks
  • Cell towers
  • GPS

Each of these techniques have their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm 100% sure that iOS also geotags photos without a data connection, data doesn't provide any information about your location anyway.

I'm also fairly sure that iOS uses GPS when it can. I took some photos during a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon and they all were geotagged quite accurate.

If you want to be a 100% sure, why don't you take some photos with airplane mode turned on :)?

Edit: now that I'm thinking of it, I'm a 100% sure that the iPhone geotags photos with airplane mode turned on. I took some photos actually from the inside of an airplane with airplane mode turned on (its true use), and they were geotagged by the iPhone.

maxsmacs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
SK
I did some tests today with airplane mode turned on. No cigar. None of my pictures ended up being geotagged. This is a bummer.

iOS uses a combination of the following techniques to determine your location:
  • WiFi networks
  • Cell towers
  • GPS

Each of these techniques have their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm 100% sure that iOS also geotags photos without a data connection, data doesn't provide any information about your location anyway.

I'm also fairly sure that iOS uses GPS when it can. I took some photos during a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon and they all were geotagged quite accurate.

If you want to be a 100% sure, why don't you take some photos with airplane mode turned on :)?

Edit: now that I'm thinking of it, I'm a 100% sure that the iPhone geotags photos with airplane mode turned on. I took some photos actually from the inside of an airplane with airplane mode turned on (its true use), and they were geotagged by the iPhone.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
GeoTagging is an awesome feature, but I wish there was an automatic setting to disable it when you are at home. It's a most useful feature when you are out and around town or even out of town. I know where I live, but when I post pictures online, it doesn't mean I want everyone else to.

maxsmacs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
SK
If your iPhone uses a sim, just take it out

Will that work? Obviously I won't receive any messages, but will my iPhone geotag my photos?

----------

GeoTagging is an awesome feature, but I wish there was an automatic setting to disable it when you are at home. It's a most useful feature when you are out and around town or even out of town. I know where I live, but when I post pictures online, it doesn't mean I want everyone else to.

There must be a way to do it, especially with the geofencing features.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekb

There must be a way to do it, especially with the geofencing features.

I think it would be an awesome privacy setting. Geotag photos taken everywhere but when you are at home. But I do not know of any way to accomplish it.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I don't have geotagging on. I remember there was an option for it and I disabled it, so you might have to just look around in the phone but I'm sure it's there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.