Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Milwaukee, WI, USA
I got my iPad mini today and it came with the battery at 80%. I plugged it into my computer to sync and it said "Not Charging" because you can't charge an iPad on a computer, but when I unplugged it 2 hours later it was at 100% charge. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Just weird that it would say "Not charging" but actually be charging.
It works like this. A normal, fully standard USB port can supply 500mA of power (2.5W).

An iPad mini usually uses about 1.7W-2.2W while you're using it. It will tell you that it is "not charging" because the power you're draining while using the iPad is basically the same as what is coming in through the computer. Almost nothing is going into the battery. I don't know what the exact cutoff is for Apple, but it looks like if the battery isn't getting at least about 1W, it will display the "not charging" message.

But as soon as you put the iPad down and it goes to sleep, that full 2.5W goes into the battery. It will slowly charge the battery until it's full, about 7-8 hours from empty on a normal USB port and about 3.5 hours on the included 5W power adapter (or on a compatible Mac with high-power USB ports).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.