Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~
I still use a MBP all the time. But for on the go (and on the couch), the iPad is wonderful.

Yep. I am just not very good at using a virtual keyboard for more than passwords, monosyllabic replies to assorted emails, etc. When it comes to most text processing past that, I usually want to be able to touch-type on a "real" keyboard.

But, for some reason, I do like typing on the iPad using the original Notes app. I do it all the time when I bump into something that prompts me to make notes while browsing book review sections, news-oriented magazines, blogs etc. I can't figure out why that is. I remember being so taken by the iPad's keyboard when I first used it (with Notes, natch), so maybe that's it, just an association to liking the larger virtual keyboard than my iPhone was offering. Mystery to me, but too late to break the habit now. I wish I could translate liking the keyboard with Notes to liking it for use with Pages, I'd spend less time wandering around looking for a laptop.

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
I wrote my first novel on my iMac using nothing but Mail. Yup, the built in mail program in OS X. People used to write with pens and paper, after all, so there's no real need for frills and without them I focus more on writing.

Now my circumstances have changed and my iMac isn't ideally suited for concentrating on writing, so I use a bluetooth keyboard with my original iPad and an easel stand for writing, still using Mail, just this time on the iPad. Mail is great because it's one of the most stable apps, it automatically saves drafts, I can hit "send" at any time to save/preserve/backup a draft of my current chapter. And with the iPad, it's a distraction-free environment since there's no real multi-tasking available. A laptop would be the ideal for me, but since I don't own one but do own the iPad, this works great and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Alan :apple: Falcon

I wrote my 2nd novel in Clock.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have typed on cramped keyboards before and they are not very fun (On a 1st generation netbook.) The main advantages would be the screen space plus being able to position the cursor with the arrow keys.

I wish the iPad on-screen keyboard had a "cursor joystick" key that allowed you to slide the cursor around if you tap and drag.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
TBH I've never really understood keyboard cases on tablets. They make the tablet significantly more bulky, hindering it's portability, and aren't as good for using on the lap as laptops... So why not just use a laptop? 11" MBA anyone?

The 11" MBA only has 5 hours or less of battery life and you also can't use it as a tablet. You must put it on a desk or your lap to use it.

----------

Seriously, the time it takes to move from the keyboard to the screen is time loss as well.

The only thing that ever sort of made sense was the original iPad keyboard dock by apple because it didn't need to be recharged (its powered by the iPad) and it stays at home as a dock. That's it. Everything else is a complete waste of money. I can type just as fast in the iPad (if not faster) due to autocorrect fixing the little things here and there.

Logitech's Ultrathin keyboard has months of battery life from a single charge.

----------

How about you just let Siri dictate directly from the professor or the guy who's speaking? ;)

The best thing to happen is that after you let it listen to several minutes of speech and Siri just tells you that there is an error or just returns nothing or sitting there waiting forever. Don't forget Siri is a "cloud service".

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
External keyboards for iPads and Minis

I had been looking for the best "mousetrap" of keyboards to go with my iPad and after trialling the Logitech, had to return it due to it marking up the screen in its stand position. Zagg came out with a similar design and it works very well for me.

So I am purchasing a iPad mini with wifi and LTE and have been looking for a keyboard for it. Am curious why the "minimod" would end up in the trash after a week?

I do bring my iPad to work, but do not carry it with me on my hospital rounds, but intend to do so with the mini. Would likely just keep the mini in my pocket and leave the keyboard for when I am in the office.

Folks posting earlier have been asking why bother with an external keyboard. The Zagg Keyboard also acts as a cover to the screen when closed and is in the right position for viewing when upright. I find that typing on the virtual keyboard is a pain, and make lots of mistakes with the virtual keyboard compared with an external keyboard.

Having the option of external keyboard or not is nice and has a place for both.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
iPad 4 keyboard

Is there an iPad version of this keyboard?

Zagg makes a ZaggKeys Pro Plus that holds your iPad similarly to the "mod", and it is backlit as well. It fits the iPads 2 and 3 and should fit the 4. See my earlier commend about the Logitech.

I am hoping they would make a smaller version for the mini, but right now, they are only making a folio type keyboard and I find that form factor too bulky.

Good luck!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If IOs was a full featured OS that needed a keyboard, or ran anything approaching a usable office suite, then maybe, just maybe these keyboard docks would be relevant

except for the cost of the cheapest iPad / iPad mini + this keyboard i can buy a very decent netbook.

once again a third party "add-on" for an apple device trying to add a function to what is basically a media consumption "toy".

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
I love this little keyboard. Yes it makes your tablet more bulky, but you HAVE A CHOICE.

And typing on that little screen is hard and covers 70% of the display.

I have a keyboard for my iPad 4 as well... Would love trackpad (mousepointer possibility) on the iPad like on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 ...

What happend with the original keyboard dock ? Looked so good. But never got one. Would it work with the iPad 4 ?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
LOL. Apple makes an amazingly thin and light device and what's the first thing some people want to do? Make it as big and heavy as possible. :D

paulloewen

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
Apple makes products for 99% of the time. Hardly ever need an optical drive? Don't put it in the computer. Use wifi for everything? Don't put a USB slot in your iPad. But they are willing to concede that you might need something like that. Hence the external Superdrive. Hence the iPad keyboard dock. Apple's an incredibly minimalist computer company. If they honestly believed you didn't ever need a keyboard with the iPad they wouldn't have made one. They did, so they understand that sometimes it's helpful. It's that simple. When the onscreen keyboard gets good enough for long chunks of text as well as eyes-free typing (through haptic or tactile feedback) they'll discontinue the dock, end of story.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for my iPad 3 and simply love it
It has revolutionized my use of my iPad for me and especially for using it for work
Email, Evernote, etc. are all much easier to work with, especially on an airplane

And yes, I have a Macbook Air as well
But my iPad 3 has unlimited data and is always connected even without WiFi

I have been looking at the Mini, but didn't want to give up my keyboard
Now, I may rethink it and take a look at this keyboard from iPad Mini Mod

Everyone has a different work flow and expectations
While some may have no use for a keyboard, others like me definitely do

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I bought the belkin for my mini and I love it. And if you don't want to carry the keyboard around you just disconnect it from the case and go about your day. Love having a key for my mini. If I got the regular iPad than no I would not have gotten a key board

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
TBH I've never really understood keyboard cases on tablets. They make the tablet significantly more bulky, hindering it's portability, and aren't as good for using on the lap as laptops... So why not just use a laptop? 11" MBA anyone?

- it's cheap?
- you can add and remove the keyboard?

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
It's for people that WANT to have a tablet, because it's cool, but don't understand WHY tablets are great. Like most of the people in business that are using iPads. Some of the full pad iPad setups literally are bigger than MBAs

Kind of like the people who buy the thinnest lightest phone and the biggest bulkiest case to keep it "safe" (or any case for that matter)

I agreed with this, until my wife dropped her iPhone 5 (3 weeks after it was introduced) and shattered the screen. She is now using the ugliest piece of plastic on the thing ever. :(

...For those that aren't always aware of their expensive beautiful equipment they carry around, I guess.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Man up! Just get in the car right now and go! You won't regret it. :p

What better way to spend Thanksgiving!!!! I'm off the rest of the week after today anyway, so why not?!?!?!:D

ROAD TRIIIIIPPP!!!!

Cue "Holiday Road" song....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.