Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
I got my 64GB Verizon mini last Thursday, and have been using it for the last 4 days. As far as the device itself, I love it.

I have no issues with the screen size/resolution, and I have retina devices to comapre it with (iPad 3rd gen and iPhone 5). I like the size and weight, and find it very easy to use holding it in one hand.

The smart cover, on the other hand, is a disappointment.

I assume they went with the different hinge configuration for two reasons... 1) the aluminum hinge would probably scratch and mark up the black version (the one I have), and 2) the new configuration is probably cheaper to manufacture.

The biggest problem I see is that the new hinge mechanism leaves the smart cover way too "floppy" on top of the screen. What I mean is that it can move around on the surface too much... the larger smart cover with the aluminum hinge is much more stable in place.

Just my thoughts.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I agree.

I'm a big fan of the smart cover on the iPad, been using one since the iPad 2 launched.

But my wife has an iPad mini with the smart cover and it does sit ok, but feels too loose or floppy when folding it behind while using the device, almost not comfortable to have there at all.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Agree I'm not crazy about the Smart Cover. Very nice device the mini but the Smart Cover brings the experience down a notch. I ordered a back , cover setup from Hong Kong. See how that will work. New buyers not sure I would get the Smart Cover. I'll hand mine down to my son to get him started for his mini for Christmas.

----------

I ordered this . Hopefully it will be better

http://www.jisoncase.com/product/Classic-Smart-Cover-for-iPad-mini.html

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
True, I returned mine as it was pretty useless! It keeps opening in a bag regardless of how well you place it in there. Why no Smart Case? (Waiting to see if this sells Apple before committing yourself to making a case?)
The stinger is this miniature piece of crap polycrap is priced the same as the full size version when it should be priced at £9.99 for all the use it is!!! iRIPOFF

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I won't be getting a mini till after xmas, but I've ordered a plastic backing shell on ebay , I'll use that and probably a Sleeve of somesort to store the mini in when carrying it around.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
True, I returned mine as it was pretty useless! It keeps opening in a bag regardless of how well you place it in there. Why no Smart Case? (Waiting to see if this sells Apple before committing yourself to making a case?)
The stinger is this miniature piece of crap polycrap is priced the same as the full size version when it should be priced at £9.99 for all the use it is!!! iRIPOFF

Wait, what!! its the same price as the full size smart cover!?!?!

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i love the ipad smart cover, but i had the mini smart cover for literally 25 minutes before i walked right back into the apple store and returned it.

the missing extra fold is sloppy, the magnet, while seemingly stronger, doesn't catch as cleanly, the thing feels more cheaply made, and the whole thing just isn't designed well for the new device, feels like an afterthought. and yes, $39, the same price as the full sized version.

for maybe $10-15 less than that I just ordered 3 cases online based on a few suggestions from these threads.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I am still waiting for my white, 64gig, AT&T iPad mini from Fed Ex to arrive, but I did get a FREE smart cover sent to me when I called up to ask Apple where my iPad mini was. So I will keep it regardless. When my iPad mini does arrive, I will test it out. If I don't like it, it won't matter cause I gots it fo free. Heh heh heh.

I kinda prefer a cover that covers the front and back anyway. Apple makes one for the full sized iPad, but not the mini yet.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I am still waiting for my white, 64gig, AT&T iPad mini from Fed Ex to arrive, but I did get a FREE smart cover sent to me when I called up to ask Apple where my iPad mini was. So I will keep it regardless. When my iPad mini does arrive, I will test it out. If I don't like it, it won't matter cause I gots it fo free. Heh heh heh.

I kinda prefer a cover that covers the front and back anyway. Apple makes one for the full sized iPad, but not the mini yet.

uhm both the smartcovers from apple are front only... :rolleyes:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
uhm both the smartcovers from apple are front only... :rolleyes:

Not true. Go to an Applestore....they just came out with a smart cover that covers the back as well for the regular sized iPad.

Also, I still have my original black apple iPad cover for my first gen iPad. Thing is tattered, but still does the job. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Not true. Go to an Applestore....they just came out with a smart cover that covers the back as well for the regular sized iPad.

Also, I still have my original black apple iPad cover for my first gen iPad. Thing is tattered, but still does the job. :)

Im not sure the smart case would fit Ipad 2, last weekend there was a sale 50% off for smart cover Ipad 2 but it only cover the front so i have to invest on another incipio slim back case anyway. It just seems dumb to have to purchase 2 different case and use at the same time.

Still Smart case dont have very good review as there is possible gap between the back cover and the back of ipad so will see.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I got the red smart cover for my black mini and I really love the way it looks. I too don't like how you cant fold it when you open it like on my iPad 2, and for some reason my mini smart cover does not want to stay down. It just seems to keep lifting itself up which is very irritating. I'll end up keeping it but i think I'll at least exchange it. I'll have to check my slip but I'm pretty sure i paid $50 for mine from Best Buy :confused:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So far I actually like how the smart cover works on my iPad mini. I didn't have an iPad 2 so I don't really have a way of comparing, I guess. I used a Belkin thing around my iPad 1, just something that protected the back and the edges. It was a static arrangement.

Anyway the smart cover so far seems to hold up the device for me just fine on a coffee table for watching video. When I use it to read stuff, I just fold it flat behind. No complaints, so maybe ignorance might be bliss for me in this instance?! ;)

I got the red one. Gotta say I haven't misplaced the device around the house yet, wow! I really like the bright red.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I quite like the Smart Cover. This is my first iPad and Smart Cover so I haven't experienced the large Smart Cover, but oh well.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I want a all in one clear case back with a colored front. All of the cases Ive seen so far use a colored back. The device is so pretty why not show it off...

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not happy with my Smart Cover at all. It's just too flimsy. Does anyone know if the Smart Cover can be returned now under the holiday return policy? It was received after oct. 27th, but I'm unsure if Apple's honoring ipad mini accessories too....

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i like it well enough..... especially compared to the alternatives which are nothing or a full case..... but i just hate the colors! the pink is washed out... the grey is ugly.... what were they thinking when they didn't do a black one? i wonder if i could buy some fabric paint and paint it black? :rolleyes:

nothing worries me that i'll drop something on my mini and break the screen :eek: i plan to buy a sleeve (the coach e reader case) for carrying it around... but when i'm using it around the house and just leave it on the coffee table or my desk i like the idea of that little bit of extra protection!

i haven't found any cases that i really like.... that poetic one looks pretty thin... but most i looked at when in best buy just added too much bulk for me...

we got our cases added to our order free... but i think i'm going to see about doing an exchange in the store for something i can use!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.