Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
People laugh this off, however, it was a good way to play against Android users if I remember correctly, as OF was cross-platform.

Meh, but I think it's beneficial in the long run to have ONE place for all achievements, game friendships, etc etc...
Makes things tidier, better integrated and might even make some old games that broke work again, because developers remove some deprecated code and replace it with some fresh lines.
Well, one can hope, right? :)

Anyways, generally good news, however, I'd love to be able to still have a place for multi-platform gaming apart from Apple devices, because quite frankly, I want to play with people based on who they are and what games there are, not based on which phone or computer they might have.
(No, this is not a cry for Apple opening up GameCenter to Android & Co.)

Glassed Silver:mac

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
The only game I remember that uses OpenFeint is Fruit Ninja, and there is a Game Center option in there as well. I believe most games that utilized OpenFeint are on Game Center now. Bye, OpenFeint.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The only online service I can say I don't dislike is Battle.net. All my online service really needs is to find other players to match me up against. IDK what it is about it, but leaderboards as implemented in every iOS game so far have really disappointed me... I think Blizzard really nailed it with the concept of every board only have 100 players on it and everyone on each board is of similar skill.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I really did not enjoy the OpenFeint popups on games. So I'm glad to see it go.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
A lot of people here hating on OpenFeint. It ain't OpenFeint's fault that you have to click on their crud -- go blame the game developers who USE OpenFeint for that!

But yeah... I used to like OF... but then it became annoying... I mean, even Game Center can be annoying at times, 'specially when it slows your device down when loading up (3gs here).

Apple should have bought OpenFeint.

While we're at it, can anybody say CRYSTAL ???? XD

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I really did not enjoy the OpenFeint popups on games. So I'm glad to see it go.

Apple should build in an API to give the option of shutting these services off in system preferences. If I want to use them I have the option, if I don't want the pop-ups I can disable them.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Developers must have been warned earlier as Jetpack Joyride was just updated today to remove it.

We don't know that JJ was updated to remove it be cause Gree sent out the announcement cutting Open Feint, or they decided before this to do it on their own.

----------

Apple should build in an API to give the option of shutting these services off in system preferences. If I want to use them I have the option, if I don't want the pop-ups I can disable them.

No what we need is for the game developers to code their apps so if you say no at the first pop up you don't get hit with it every time you open the app. it should know that you said no and have it in the settings for you to choose to change your mind later. Rather like how when you go into an app that wants Location access you get the one pop up and after that you go into Settings for the device to change it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.