Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GigaOM reports that Google wants to take on Apple with an open AirPlay alternative.
YouTube recently launched AirPlay-like video beaming for Google TV and Android devices, but Google plans to take the technology much further. The company is working on an alternative to AirPlay, which it wants to bring to third-party devices and services - a clear shot at Apple.
Google's new protocol would also supplant the existing DLNA standard which offers similar functionality.

140318-airplay_tangled.jpg
AirPlay from Apple allows Mac and iOS devices to easily stream audio, video and screen content to your Apple TV.

Google's system would reportedly be similar, and also allow data to flow in both directions, allowing full "second-screen experiences" that could relay information back to your phone or tablet. Google recently launched the first version of the service aimed at Android devices, Google TV and YouTube. Their plans are to expand their technology to other apps.

Article Link: Google to Take on Apple with Open AirPlay Alternative

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
As long as I can watch TANGLED without a problem then count me in.

But seriously, how about a better desktop mirroring app to get around Apple's restrictions within 10.8 of mid-last Macs and onwards. Third party app 'Parrot' ain't so good.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.

I deleted the Google YouTube app because:

1) No support for iPhone 5;
2) confusing UI;
3) when you enter any http://www.youtube.com video URL in Safari it directs you to the app;
4) there is an awesome app called Jasmine.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Or get Google Maps released!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
2) when you enter any www.youtube.com video URL in Safari it directs you to the app

I'm on iOS 5, but here's what I do: Settings > General > Restrictions > Youtube OFF

And that is how you get rid of the Youtube app and any redirections to the app. At least, on iOS 5 and below...

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
If it's open do you think it could end up on Apple TV? Annoying to need an Apple tv and a google tv.

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
Both ways would be good for one situation I can see and I'm surprised Apple haven't done it, yet... In the classroom/lecture/conference, students/etc would be able to see projections on their mobile device instead of trying to squint across the room. Apart from that, I can't think of any reason in the home to need it, why would I go to the computer to send video to something thats already in my hand?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I deleted the Google YouTube app because:

1) No support for iPhone 5;
2) confusing UI;
3) when you enter any http://www.youtube.com video URL in Safari it directs you to the app;
4) there is an awesome app called Jasmine.
I don't get redirects to the YouTube app. However... I do agree that Jasmine is awesome... and it at least supports the iPhone 5 screen size.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
But, for the love of the children, why? There's a frikkin' standard already, why not use it? Or are Google as self-obsessed and retarded as Apple?

I agree. This is a situation where a single solution is best. Why should the marketplace be cluttered with variations of the same concept when there's already a standard? None of them will gain significant marketshare.

Companies should spend more time innovating instead of competing for the sake of competing. How does Google plan to improve this concept?

HAMEYO

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
As long as everything is compatible with everything else, I'm cool.

But when we get devises that only work with Apple or only work with Google ...ect..

Then I ignore them as junk

Google is SYNONYM of " FAKE "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
But, for the love of the children, why? There's a frikkin' standard already, why not use it? Or are Google as self-obsessed and retarded as Apple?

GigaOM is a little misleading, that technology it is not intended to replace DLNA. Miracast is the technology that will replace DLNA and it is an industry standard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.