Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
DLNA is either a poor standard or just poorly implemented by most manufacturers. I have had a couple of devices with DLNA now and neither lived up to their promise. AirPlay, while not perfect, is far better in terms of usability. If Google bring out something similar and give Apple some healthy competition, then that's fine by me. Wish all systems could be compatible bit don't ever see that happening.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
AirPlay is pretty limited. No matter where I go I can't seem to find a suitable arrangement to actually use it.

Glad to see Google pushing forward toward full functionality in this area. Get on it Apple.

Driving Apple forward is the primary good that comes of Google being in the iPhone biz.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Looks like the copy machines aren't just running in Redmond these days.

Don't make yourself look so pathetic.

Also, FYI AirPlay is nothing special, it's just a streaming system these things have been around for years.

----------

AirPlay is pretty limited. No matter where I go I can't seem to find a suitable arrangement to actually use it.

Glad to see Google pushing forward toward full functionality in this area. Get on it Apple.

Driving Apple forward is the primary good that comes of Google being in the iPhone biz.

If recent history is anything to go by, Apple will NOT open up AirPlay, or support Googles new (and better) platform....ever.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Do I love Airplay? Yes. Do I want to be able to use such technology with devices other than Apple's? Yes. Will Android OEMs that also make Smart TVs include AirPlay over Google's solution? Probably not.

This is a war Apple can't win without opening up.

peewit106

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Functionality?

Google's system would reportedly be similar, and also allow data to flow in both directions, allowing full "second-screen experiences" that could relay information back to your phone or tablet.

= adverts

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Don't make yourself look so pathetic.

Also, FYI AirPlay is nothing special, it's just a streaming system these things have been around for years.

----------

If recent history is anything to go by, Apple will NOT open up AirPlay, or support Googles new (and better) platform....ever.

They should. Communication protocols used in implementations like AirPlay, AirPrint, FaceTime, Skype, should be opened up or open-sourced. Interoperability benefits all users instead of being locked in. It's the right thing to do. And it doesn't hinder any company's ability to make profits.

Imagine of TCP/IP was kept proprietary, we probably wouldn't have the internet we know it today.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Apple doesn't have to open to win, apple just needs to strengthen their already strong ecosystem, for people like me who like the ecosystem it will only make us more dedicated to it. Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, Mac all work seamlessly for the most part. Of course we should expect more features to come in the future and I believe we will. The rumors show apple definitely has something big up their sleeve.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Looks like the copy machines aren't just running in Redmond these days.

Google aren't copying Apple, they're bettering them. Look at the requirements for Apple's Airplay:

Apple iOS Device + Apple TV (One-to-One)

Google requirements look like being:

Android Device/Google TV/iOS Devices? + any HDMI-enabled display (Many-to-Many).

With Apple's implementation, if I were at a friend's house wanting to stream something to their TV, as well as having my phone, I would need them to have an Apple TV.

Google's iteration just requires a phone and a HDMI screen, much simpler.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
But, for the love of the children, why? There's a frikkin' standard already, why not use it? Or are Google as self-obsessed and retarded as Apple?

Because the standard doesn't allow google to capture data about what your watching and beem it back to a google server ;)

And force you to look at lots of adverts :))

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Do people actually use AirPlay. I used it a little for music with my AirPort Express, but I soon figured that using a cable was much MUCH easier.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Does any device apart of Apple's have Airplay?

Not a device as such, but the current release of XBMC has some Airplay support built in so any mac / pc / linux box can become an Airplay target device - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AirPlay. It's by no means feature complete but it is being improved all the time.

I've not used it all that much as I have 2 Apple TVs but the few times I've tried it it's worked pretty well.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I deleted the Google YouTube app because:

1) No support for iPhone 5;
2) confusing UI;
3) when you enter any http://www.youtube.com video URL in Safari it directs you to the app;
4) there is an awesome app called Jasmine.

What I don't like the YouTube app is I can't play a video of the song and then leave the app and go do something else on my phone and keep the song playing in the background.

Plus no AirPlay and no option to resize/crop videos.

Do people actually use AirPlay. I used it a little for music with my AirPort Express, but I soon figured that using a cable was much MUCH easier.

Searching for YouTube videos on the AppleTV is not fun.

At all.

Much easier to find them on an iDevice and then use AirPlay to stream it to the HDTV.

Does any device apart of Apple's have Airplay?

http://www.cultofmac.com/201671/get...or-cheap-with-this-chinese-apple-tv-knockoff/

fakeappletvthatisactuallyprettygoodandmaybeyoushouldbuyitonedaydudes-300x206.jpg

"Xiaomi Box looks pretty similar to an Apple TV, it’s cheaper than an Apple TV, it even comes with the ability to use Apple’s AirPlay protocol like an Apple TV, but it only costs $64.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/201671/get...hinese-apple-tv-knockoff/#YQboumCXSUTdm6Zj.99 "

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
As long as I can watch TANGLED without a problem then count me in.

But seriously, how about a better desktop mirroring app to get around Apple's restrictions within 10.8 of mid-last Macs and onwards. Third party app 'Parrot' ain't so good.

The reason Parrot ain't so good is because it relies on software-based encoding. AirPlay officially uses hardware-based encoding, and thus is limited to Macs with a H.264 encoder built in to their GPUs. Any streaming solution for older Macs would have the same limitation as Parrot.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
But, for the love of the children, why? There's a frikkin' standard already, why not use it? Or are Google as self-obsessed and retarded as Apple?

Do you not understand the term 'standard' or do you know something I don't know? AirPlay is not a standard, it's proprietary. DLNA is not two ways. It just allows you to push a stream. Consider being DLNA compatible as similar to how USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible. It's a good thing. The fact it is open will rock!!

Go google go. I just hope they get it right. -crosses all fingers and toes-

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
But seriously, how about a better desktop mirroring app to get around Apple's restrictions within 10.8 of mid-last Macs and onwards. Third party app 'Parrot' ain't so good.

It is impossible to do that efficiently in software. The new hardware has been built to handle this task. It's a matter of work smarter, not harder. Stop whining.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.