Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
Ok, so first off here's what happened... I dropped the phone in water for 1 second, dried it off, into rice for 24 hrs... still wasn't working properly.

checked the SIM tray water indicator, and only about 1/8th of the disc at the most had turned pink, it was very subtle.

made myself a Genius appointment at the Apple Store. Was straight up honest and told him I'd dropped it in water.

He took it out back, said he had checked inside and that - quote "all of the sensors have been activated/turned pink". He then went on to say there were a further 3 indicators inside the phone in addition to the SIM tray one.

I always thought there was only one indicator just inside the SIM tray area, I didn't see any others on the iFixit breakdown pics.

I was wondering that if I'd had said nothing about water damage, I wonder whether he would looked at the SIM tray indicator, seen virtually an entirely white disc, thought there was nothing wrong and replaced it for free instead of the £179 I had to pay.

Not complaining by the way... it's my fault, I dropped it in water. I'm wondering whether honesty doesn't always pay:confused:

is there more than one water indicator in the iPhone 5?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Ok, so first off here's what happened... I dropped the phone in water for 1 second, dried it off, into rice for 24 hrs... still wasn't working properly.

checked the SIM tray water indicator, and only about 1/8th of the disc at the most had turned pink, it was very subtle.

made myself a Genius appointment at the Apple Store. Was straight up honest and told him I'd dropped it in water.

He took it out back, said he had checked inside and that - quote "all of the sensors have been activated/turned pink". He then went on to say there were a further 3 indicators inside the phone in addition to the SIM tray one.

I always thought there was only one indicator just inside the SIM tray area, I didn't see any others on the iFixit breakdown pics.

I was wondering that if I'd had said nothing about water damage, I wonder whether he would looked at the SIM tray indicator, seen virtually an entirely white disc, thought there was nothing wrong and replaced it for free instead of the £179 I had to pay.

Not complaining by the way... it's my fault, I dropped it in water. I'm wondering whether honesty doesn't always pay:confused:

Here is a good tip next time something happens which prompts you to visit the Genius Bar: act dumb, say as little as possible, look sad. I was told last week by friends who work at this 'bar' that they cannot open up iPhone 5 s yet, as they are waiting on the tools and parts to do so. I think there is a strong possibility they made up the other sensor information. If they can't open up the device, they cannot see them. It's not like the other iPhone models where you can see several sensors just by looking closely. Then again, you were honest that you dropped it, so at, least your 'karma' is all good....regarding this. Just for the record I don't believe in karma.

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
hmm, stuff karma !! lol

just hate the thought I'd been taken for a mug by the 'Genius'.... I bet if I'd have said nothing about water then I would be £179 better off :(

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
At the rate you guys are messing up these iPhones the supply will never catch up with the demand lmao

I know, but in my defence I've always been super careful with all my phones and I've had them all since the first gen iPhone.... guess the law of averages states I was eventually going to drop it... just a shame it was in water :eek:

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
putting my daughters hand in a bowl of cold water, she'd just burnt it on the oven top :(

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
and you had your phone in your hand at the same time?

I'm not sure if you're implying you don't beleive me. I don't exactly have anything to hide.

Anyhow...

My phone was in my top pocket, as I leant forward putting my child's hand in water the phone fell in.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I'm not sure if you're implying you don't beleive me. I don't exactly have anything to hide.

Anyhow...

My phone was in my top pocket, as I leant forward putting my child's hand in water the phone fell in.

just trying to get the full story, it was pretty careless though. But hey it was in a state of emergency

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Seldom do I agree with a post that is negative about Apple customer service and honesty, but given the following that happened to me, I think you might have point.

I had sudden and catastrophic hard drive failure on a 2 year old 27" iMac. I have Apple Care and took it to the genius bar. Of course they fixed it after telling me how fortunate I was to have purchased Apple Care. ONE MONTH LATER Apple issued a general recall of Seagate hard drives in iMacs that they would replace immediately, before they failed.

So I suffered a great deal of restoration work on a failed hard drive replacement because Apple drug out their obvious need to fix a hard drive issue and the darn genius was arrogant enough to congratulate me on buying AppleCare.

My faith in Apple is permanently damaged. Not because they suffered
a failure, but because they hid the obvious. How quickly the corporation can degrade from great to ordinary. How quickly the technical excellence can become financial greed.

My next purchasing decision will be based entirely on what they can offer me, not blind allegiance to a brand.

rMBP, 27 iMac, iPad 2, Iphone 4s, iPhone 5, Time Capsule and soon to be more objective consumer.

Good luck to you on the iPhone issue.

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
just trying to get the full story, it was pretty careless though. But hey it was in a state of emergency

yeah... a bit of an oxymoron there... I was ' pretty careless' during a 'state of emergency'. :confused:

so to go back to the original question... does anybody know if there are internal water indicators on the iPhone 5?

thanks.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
yeah... a bit of an oxymoron there... I was ' pretty careless' during a 'state of emergency'. :confused:

so to go back to the original question... does anybody know if there are internal water indicators on the iPhone 5?

thanks.

You knew the 5 was longer than most shirt pockets and you leant forward over water so yes it was careless but it being a "state of emergency" takes some of the blame off you. And it doesn't really matter now, you got the replacement just keep it away from water.

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
You knew the 5 was longer than most shirt pockets and you leant forward over water so yes it was careless but it being a "state of emergency" takes some of the blame off you. And it doesn't really matter now, you got the replacement just keep it away from water.

ok, I am no longer replying to this thread.

in your opinion I knew the iPhone 5 'was longer than most shirt pockets', and that is what makes me careless.
how 'long' do you know my shirt pocket is? as this clearly defines what makes me 'careless' from your perspective.

thank you for your valued opinion.

:rolleyes:

however if anybody does know about the water sensor query, I'd love to hear any reply :)

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

in your opinion I knew the iPhone 5 'was longer than most shirt pockets', and that is what makes me careless.
how 'long' do you know my shirt pocket is? as this clearly defines what makes me 'careless' from your perspective.

however if anybody does know about the water sensor query, I'd love to hear any reply :)

Isn't there water sensors down the headphone jack, and inside the lightning connector?

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
many thanks for that link, but it's telling me what I'm already thinking (that the iPhone 5 only has an indicator in the SIM tray area).

if that is the case then the Genius was lying to me :confused:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland

Don't worry. I believe that poster is alone in their thoughts that you were 'careless'. It's actually bordering on trolling.

To my knowledge, and I have been inside several iPhone 5's, Apple has lied to you. I have seen no further water sensors inside, so I think it is extremely unlikely there are 3 additional sensors that are completely disguised from view.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I have to disagree with the experience we had with genius staff. It doesnt pay to to lie. The one we dealt with gave my husband a free replacement simpily because he wasnt taking the pee, he told them the truth it was possibily water damaged (by a child sucking it lol) She said had it been obvious he was playing daft she wouldnt have gave him the free replacement:p

pittster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
UK
I have to disagree with the experience we had with genius staff. It doesnt pay to to lie. The one we dealt with gave my husband a free replacement simpily because he wasnt taking the pee, he told them the truth it was possibily water damaged (by a child sucking it lol) She said had it been obvious he was playing daft she wouldnt have gave him the free replacement:p

i agree, that is why I didn't lie. I told the genius straight away what happened.

my concern is that it was the genius who lied, not me !

I was hoping that by posting this, there would be somebody who would come out to confirm that he was telling the truth and there are internal water sensors in the iPhone 5. I don't think there are.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011

Regarding the genius bar, I think it all depends which store you go to... I had a problem with my 7 days old iPhone I went to store #1 and they told me they could not exchange my phone at all, they told me I had to go trough the bar and get a refurb. I got to store #2, I expressed my desire of exchanging the phone and they didn't even let me explain the problem and told me, what would you like to exchange it for? never going back to store #1 again.

kdarling

macrumors P6

The iPhone 4/4S had two more indicators inside, one of which served a dual purpose because it was over a screw that would have to be removed if, say, someone replaced their display.

So it seems likely that there are at least a couple more inside.

As for the poster asking all the questions, I wouldn't get upset. I think it's just youthful curiosity. Check the profile: teenager from New Jersey. So you get a kid's view, plus they're from a region famous for being nosy and giving loud opinions :)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If you can open an iPhone 4/4S and an iPhone 3/3GS you have the "tools" to open an iPhone 5.

I should have stated it more clearly: "they are not yet authorized to do this", but yes, they have the tools - a screwdriver and a suction cup opener!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.