Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

Mr.damien

I think that Apple should push on their airport stuff, an ad blocker directly inside them like the adless router kickstarter project.

Then we will see who will laugh with network stuff blocking all the google ads (revenue) :D

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I love Airplay.
I use this to stream my music from my macbook pro/iphone/ipad to my speakers (connected to airport express) I hated my Samsung Galaxy SIII coz it couldn't do that....

I guess that means I'm really tied up to Apple's ecosystem =P

Nonetheless, it'll be cool to see what Google does.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.

Maybe if Apple went with a standard resolution then it wouldn't be so bad. Be happy Google even programs anything for Apple anymore, considering the bold move of leaving Google Maps contract 1 year early for the incredible Apple "Maps".

Competition is always good.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I cant see any point in having my TV send anything to my iPad. Airplay is meant for sending only and there is a reason for that. Televisions and speakers are output-only devices. iTunes can already share with other iTunes users. Airdrop makes throwing files around nearby very easy.

This is just a way for them to claim to be clever. "Look, I made something with no purpose!"

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I cant see any point in having my TV send anything to my iPad.

That you can't see any point doesn't means that it has no point, only that you don't see a point. And it is not only for TV's.

This is just a way for them to claim to be clever. "Look, I made something with no purpose!"

No, this is just a way for you to bash something that has not been made by Apple.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
But, for the love of the children, why? There's a frikkin' standard already, why not use it? Or are Google as self-obsessed and retarded as Apple?

They all want to be LIKE Apple, duh. They all want to be like Apple in being in control of both hardware and software. They all want to (subconsciously, and without realizing it) migrate towards a walled-garden control of their users. They all want to be like Apple in being in control of THEIR OWN (proprietary) 'standards' which are not enslaved/dependent/at-the-mercy to another rival company's 'standards'.

Look what happened to Microsoft. Once upon a time, it was the universal freewheeling software licensor to the PC world, and had left its hardware manufacturers alone without competing with them. Today? Microsoft is not shy in designing and selling its own hardware under its own brand and directly competing against its.... hardware partners (that also license Windows/WinMobile software). MS aped the Apple Modus Operandi.... intentionally or not, tho they probably are doing it to stay in the game.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For a company that allegedly doesn't innovate, it's amazing how everyone is making something like an iPhone, something like an iPad, something like a Mac Book, something like an iMac, something like a Mac Mini, and now something like Apple TV with Airplay.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Apple really ought to open-source AirPlay; they've had their period of exclusivity, but anything that encourages wider adoption, which open-sourcing should do, can only benefit the consumer and give iOS devices more things that they can just go ahead and work with.

I really don't want to see two new competing wireless technologies for something that is supposed to be effortless; I've had my years of headaches with networking, I don't need yet another technology with constant compatibility issues.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
DNLA is awful, and needs replacing.

But I'm not confident this is it (neither is AirPlay, being proprietary and having absolutely hopeless security).

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
I have an Apple TV in the livingroom and a Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom.

Love my Apple TV no doubt about that, but would love a TV with the AppleTV build in, like my Samsung Smart TV has (Samsungs Version)

AppleTV.:
Love that little tiny box. Even my mother has one and knows how to use it.

Samsung SmartTV.:
Like it because it has more possibilitys. More apps. In Denmark Netflix is new and has little content. We have Viaplay with danish shows and the Samsung has an app for that... And many more.

But even with all the ekstra features in the Samsung TV (and that it reacts to your hand like xbox kinect and has a full keyboadrd with trackpad) I kind of like the AppleTVs simplicity.

But did I have to choose.... Hard.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Why would apple open up their airplay system to allow other devices to work on it?

That would mean they would lose money by allowing so, they don't make as much profit on Apple TV as they do on other devices so not going to happen.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Apple really ought to open-source AirPlay; they've had their period of exclusivity, but anything that encourages wider adoption, which open-sourcing should do, can only benefit the consumer and give iOS devices more things that they can just go ahead and work with.

I really don't want to see two new competing wireless technologies for something that is supposed to be effortless; I've had my years of headaches with networking, I don't need yet another technology with constant compatibility issues.

I really like this idea! They can keep things as easy to use as they want on their devices, and if another device, like a windows phone, has a ****** implementation of it, then it doesn't hurt apples image at all. Airplay is fairly mature and wont likely see any major revisions at this point, so they might as well let others in.

It isn't like Apple doesn't understand this concept. They did it with ALAC (far too late though) and with webkit. Hell, webkit really took off too! Airplay has that same potential.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
They should. Communication protocols used in implementations like AirPlay, AirPrint, FaceTime, Skype, should be opened up or open-sourced. Interoperability benefits all users instead of being locked in. It's the right thing to do. And it doesn't hinder any company's ability to make profits.

Imagine of TCP/IP was kept proprietary, we probably wouldn't have the internet we know it today.

Oh I know they should...but they wont. It's Apple we're talking about here, they are a big evil corporation.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
After Ping, MobileMe, Apple Maps, Apple Newton, "antenna-gate", eMate, recent regular iCloud/iMessage outages, Apple Bandai Pippin, QuickTake etc. etc. people still trust Apple, so what's your point?

I wonder sometimes the same - people give Apple a lot more credit than they deserve - given the price of their products (don't get me wrong, I love them) it surprises me how much "slack" we are supposed to give them (well, according to some member here anyway).

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
Google aren't copying Apple, they're bettering them. Look at the requirements for Apple's Airplay:

Apple iOS Device + Apple TV (One-to-One)

Google requirements look like being:

Android Device/Google TV/iOS Devices? + any HDMI-enabled display (Many-to-Many).

With Apple's implementation, if I were at a friend's house wanting to stream something to their TV, as well as having my phone, I would need them to have an Apple TV.

Google's iteration just requires a phone and a HDMI screen, much simpler.

You KNOW you can actually use one of these:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=45
or
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD825ZM/A/lightning-to-vga-adapter?fnode=45

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I'll bet the dozens of people with Google TV will love this new Airplay-like capability.

That would require people to have a google tv to begin with. With googles track record they will product 5 and reserve 12 for a single shop putting the rest of the world on back-order :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's hard to tell from this article (surprise, surprise). But it's my understanding all Android 4.2 is doing is supporting the Miracast standard.

Google isn't pushing anything. They're supporting an open standard at the OS level that's evolving into an AirPlay competitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

Miracast devices are pretty much non existent now. All current TVs would require a dongle or set top box to support the feature.

----------

I don't think they can open source (if they even wanted to) because AirPlay includes DRM required for iTunes content.

If the article is referring to Miracast (like I believe), they're actually much different protocols. Miracast would be a competitor to the rumored AirPlay Direct (that would use Wi-fi Direct instead of your router).

NakedPaulToast

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
They should. Communication protocols used in implementations like AirPlay, AirPrint, FaceTime, Skype, should be opened up or open-sourced. Interoperability benefits all users instead of being locked in. It's the right thing to do. And it doesn't hinder any company's ability to make profits.

Imagine of TCP/IP was kept proprietary, we probably wouldn't have the internet we know it today.

During the original announcement for FaceTime Steve Jobs promised he would open up FaceTime and work with standard organizations.

Never happened.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.

Yes, google, support your competition!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.