Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
it seems to me that my ccc bkup is doing a full backup instead of incremental each time. eg. it copies all my apps every time.
i've tried with two ext fw800 hdd, bkup up my 500gb internal drive... it keeps taking some 1.5-2hrs each time, day... what could that be? log file says nothing...

(latest ccc version on osx.7.5 on mbp8.1)

Thessman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2005
GR
it seems to me that my ccc bkup is doing a full backup instead of incremental each time. eg. it copies all my apps every time.
i've tried with two ext fw800 hdd, bkup up my 500gb internal drive... it keeps taking some 1.5-2hrs each time, day... what could that be? log file says nothing...

(latest ccc version on osx.7.5 on mbp8.1)

Just delete and rebuild the task...

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
just checking the last log entry:
after all, it seems to not do a full bkup: 18.8gb took 02:41hrs...but that can't be right on fw800, no?
also, 18gb is way to much for an incremental bkup as far as i can tell...largest file copied is 17.2gb according to log...must be the frikking windows instance i suspect...maybe just exclude that volume then?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
just checking the last log entry:
after all, it seems to not do a full bkup: 18.8gb took 02:41hrs...but that can't be right on fw800, no?
also, 18gb is way to much for an incremental bkup as far as i can tell...largest file copied is 17.2gb according to log...must be the frikking windows instance i suspect...maybe just exclude that volume then?

Yeah it can't track individual files in the virtual machine. Instead all CCC knows is that the VM has changed and needs to be completely backed up. If your boot drive and VM are on the same drive and your VM is running this can make the backup very slow.

This is also a problem that occurs with large database files such as an Outlook PST.

I would also set up a backup to run from your VM to another drive for any files you want to protect in Windows.

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah it can't track individual files in the virtual machine. Instead all CCC knows is that the VM has changed and needs to be completely backed up. If your boot drive and VM are on the same drive and your VM is running this can make the backup very slow.

i know, never have that monster running unless i absolutely have to.

I would also set up a backup to run from your VM to another drive for any files you want to protect in Windows.

no need for that. have taken the win-dir out of the ccc list...
but still, something's funny...ran a full ccc clone, took >2hrs (~350gb), rerunning same clone takes now already 1:44, comparing files forever and still copying ~600mb now :confused:

bombich

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Drop us a line over at help.bombich.com (use the "Ask a question" menu item from CCC's Help menu). It sounds like there could be either an issue with communication to the destination disk, or perhaps some sort of competition for bandwidth.

Mike

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Drop us a line over at help.bombich.com (use the "Ask a question" menu item from CCC's Help menu). It sounds like there could be either an issue with communication to the destination disk, or perhaps some sort of competition for bandwidth.

Mike

thank you mike, i'll do that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.