Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
I've turned off Bluetooth, Location Services, Push. I have Auto-Brightness on, and Fetch hourly.

There is no LTE where I live. The left screenshot is with 3G on, the right screenshot is with 3G off. Everything else is set exactly the same. Obviously having 3G/4G/LTE on will drain considerable battery.

My girlfriend and I have the exact same setup, and our batteries drain at about the same rate. My brother has everything turned on, BT, Location Services, 3G, and yet he gets longer batter life.

The only difference between all 3 of us is.. he has a new sim which he got last year. My gf's and I have sims that are about 6 years old.

So I'm wondering if having an older SIM will cause more data or battery drain on the iphone? I'm thinking about changing to a new SIM and see if there's any difference.

6 years old?! how can you use a 6 year old sim in there?! the iPhone 5 uses a nano sim now so i don't know how you have a SIM card in there..

Hunts121

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
Massachusetts
I've had decent battery life with my 5. I didn't screen cap (I will just so ya don't think I'm BS'n) but I was at 4 hrs 17min usage and about 18.5hrs standby with the battery at 71% this morning.

Overall its no worse than my iPhone 4 (never had a 4S) so far. I don't know if it helps but I didn't restore from backup as some do, but started as a new phone (used to jailbreak what can I say). No issues so far.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
I am wondering if my battery life is good. i just checked usage and it reads:

Time Since last charge
Usage: 4 hours, 23 Mintues
Standby: 12 Hours, 5 minutes

I am currently at 30% battery life....
I did a lot of data on LTE and some WIFI...alot of twitter and face book and alot of messages...some web broswint and 3 calls no longer then 1 minute each.... so is this good?

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Normal usage, didn't stare at my phone and play with it for any long time. Just casual game here or there, some instagrams and some browsing. Mostly wifi but 4g at times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 80

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Is this normal? I average about 6 hours I think. I'm not happy with that. I have everything at default pretty much.

I don't get LTE inside my home though so it might have some affect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 65

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I just beat my previous calibration by ALOT with an extra 4hrs of standby. I LOVE this battery. all the same but only 1 game this time and maybe for 10mins, pandora for 30mins. this time the phone died with about 10hrs and 25mins of usage. I just didnt get a screen shot of it.

null-10.png

getting better and better every time. this was with 12% left and i was ready for bed. i would guess at the least 11hrs or more of usage by the time it would have died.

image.png

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Here is mine with my batter at 1% and about to die. I have everything on (auto brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, location, and LTE) and it ended in about 6 hours and 45 minutes. I was mostly home where I don't have LTE so I am on 4G. Not bad I guess but I want it at least close to 8-10 hours with everything on. Maybe the next iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 64

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I turned off Auto-brightness and saw a huge jump in battery life. I noticed under bright lights like my workplace, it was bringing the brightness to near 100%.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Here is mine with my batter at 1% and about to die. I have everything on (auto brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, location, and LTE) and it ended in about 6 hours and 45 minutes. I was mostly home where I don't have LTE so I am on 4G. Not bad I guess but I want it at least close to 8-10 hours with everything on. Maybe the next iPhone.

Exactly like mine

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I was going to mention:

I have LTE turned on even though my carrier does not yet have LTE in this area - maybe later this month or early December I'm told.

Thought my battery life wasn't too shabby until I saw yours, your usage figure is far better. Signal strength at work is crap to non existent, I'm sure this doesn't help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 73

pyroza

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
408/310
About a month ago, my phone would lose battery life like crazy. I figured out that something kept running as usage times were way higher than normal. I closed all apps but that didn't change anything. Eventually it went away, but it just started happening again after I restarted my phone yesterday. It went from 20% to 12% in 45 minutes of standby. No idea why it's doing this. Help?

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
This can't be right...shall I book a Genius appointment?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 68

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Does anyone know an app for the iPhone 5 which would monitor battery/activity?
I downloaded a few free apps, but they are all showing over 400 hours of standby time which doesn't make sense to me. I would like an app which would tell me my battery usage stats from the last charge (or preferably from when it is unplugged from the charger) so I can see where my battery is being used and monitor it.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Again. HOOWWWWW?!? Carrier?

I wouldn't fret about those numbers at all. These guys likely have a significantly low usage patterns i.e. they barely touch their phones. A good example is playing music for hours without turning on the screen. Or picking up 1 or 2 calls and sending 1 or 2 messages. It could also be that they plugged in mid-usage.

A normal usage pattern will NEVER get you 13-20hrs of usage unless you turn off all radios and put brightness at the lowest point.

A normal usage (radios and screen on) gets you roughly 5-8 hrs usage max and double that figure for standby.

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Not too shabby..
but to be honest my numbers are GREATLY varied depending on what i do. The attached is using my IP5 for bit of web surfing and a lot of Air Video streaming to my Apple TV (which will probably account for a lot of usage time).

The other day i was FB/Twitter/Angry Birds Star Wars and blitzed my battery within 3 hours. It really is hit and miss, 90% of these results are a load of bollox if you ask me

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    92.5 KB · Views: 67

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
i wouldn't fret about those numbers at all. These guys likely have a significantly low usage patterns i.e. They barely touch their phones. A good example is playing music for hours without turning on the screen. Or picking up 1 or 2 calls and sending 1 or 2 messages. It could also be that they plugged in mid-usage.

A normal usage pattern will never get you 13-20hrs of usage unless you turn off all radios and put brightness at the lowest point.

A normal usage (radios and screen on) gets you roughly 5-8 hrs usage max and double that figure for standby.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.