Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
From doing a simple google search, as well as going through threads on xda forums, it appears both devices suffer from the same bug. Whether it affects all devices is questionable, but it is concerning. When on 3G (or HSPA+) the phone has an alarming amount of wakelocks, not allowing it to go into deep sleep. This results in massive battery drain.

I even tested the Optimus G for a few days and it was definitely present. There are threads for every version of the OG on XDA, and people are reporting the issue on each one. The Android OS is generally using up to 55-75% of the battery due to these wakelocks.

I returned the OG for the iPhone 5 because of this. No one seems to know whether its a software or hardware issue. I wish it would be fixed, cause I'd possibly keep the OG over the iPhone 5.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Nexus 4 running Android 4.2

1 hr and 49 mins of screen time. 9% battery life left.

nexus-4-battery3.jpg

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
From doing a simple google search, as well as going through threads on xda forums, it appears both devices suffer from the same bug. Whether it affects all devices is questionable, but it is concerning. When on 3G (or HSPA+) the phone has an alarming amount of wakelocks, not allowing it to go into deep sleep. This results in massive battery drain.

I even tested the Optimus G for a few days and it was definitely present. There are threads for every version of the OG on XDA, and people are reporting the issue on each one. The Android OS is generally using up to 55-75% of the battery due to these wakelocks.

I returned the OG for the iPhone 5 because of this. No one seems to know whether its a software or hardware issue. I wish it would be fixed, cause I'd possibly keep the OG over the iPhone 5.

I don't have wakelocks

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I don't have wakelocks

Neither do I ..the screen is the main culprit for me when it comes to battery drain. I've installed juice defender and at the end of the day the screen is only responsible for about 35-40% of the drain now because I set the minimum brightness down to -60% of its usual minimum.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

inselstudent said:
I don't have wakelocks

Neither do I ..the screen is the main culprit for me when it comes to battery drain. I've installed juice defender and at the end of the day the screen is only responsible for about 35-40% of the drain now because I set the minimum brightness down to -60% of its usual minimum.

Well the screen should be using the most of course.. But these wake lock issues have absolutely destroyed the Optimus G to the point of causing me to return it. Again, only happens when you are not connected to LTE. The nexus 4 xda forum has had posts of the same issues, but it seems to be more widespread on the OG.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wonder what the phones are doing? I know email fetch will contribute to an iPhones usage time. Maybe it something like that?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm not sure I'd I'm suffering this killer bug but my phone doesn't spend much time in deep sleep.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-20-14-07-11.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-20-14-07-11.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Screenshot_2012-11-20-14-06-35.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-20-14-06-35.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2012-11-20-14-06-05.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-20-14-06-05.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 157

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Which is completely meaningless without knowing their usage patterns. But thanks for trying as usual!

Unfortunately according to that pic the screen pretty much single handily did that. If say for example they were running a playstation emulator playing Gran Turismo you might expect battery usage like that but the emulator app would show up in the usage on the right hand side.

The thing that is very strange about that pic is there is NO app that is using power. To do that you'd have to never venture outside the OS itself. For example my browser app is pretty high on the battery usage list a lot of the time. I'd say there is something wrong there because essentially that phone was only used for a bit less then 2 hours plus phone calls which usually the screen is off but even that is low on the usage list.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The idle drain is not normal. Most likely kernel related. Android 4.2 is pretty buggy compared to 4.1.2. My verizon galaxy nexus on cm10 4.1.2 drains maybe a percent an hour during idle.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
The idle drain is not normal. Most likely kernel related. Android 4.2 is pretty buggy compared to 4.1.2. My verizon galaxy nexus on cm10 4.1.2 drains maybe a percent an hour during idle.

Some people are complaining that this is due to bugs in Android 4.2. That would be the best case scenario since at least it can be patched.

Also, you may want to try running JuiceDefender. It manages you wifi and data connection, so that they turn off automatically when idle.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Tips from other sites.

Turn off Google Now.
Turn off NFC.
Turn off Bluetooth
Turn off WiFi.

Kill off a bunch of services you don't need.
Reduce screen brightness to 15% to 30% of full brightness.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Tips from other sites.

Turn off Google Now.
Turn off NFC.
Turn off Bluetooth
Turn off WiFi.

But it becomes a hassle to do all this manually. Unless you get an automation app like tasker. Then it's fine.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Tips from other sites.

Turn off Google Now.
Turn off NFC.
Turn off Bluetooth
Turn off WiFi.

So basically take all the new inovative features away and use it as a paper weight? Sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.