Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I'll likely stick with the native app, but this latest "solution" from NAVTEQ has promise - at least in terms of data.
Verdict is still out (for me) regarding the interface.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The colors are terrible compared to Google Maps. It's very slow but expected since it's an HTML5 web view. Data are not really much better than Apple Maps - in Hong Kong, street names are presented in weird mandarin Chinese (which Hong Kong doesn't speak) pinyin transcription like "Jiu Long Wan Zhan" instead of the proper English name "Kowloon Bay Station".

borneo76

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Indonesia
terrible map from Nokia...it's outdated where i live (Bali), it's been like 5 years old database...geez

very sad, i'll stick with Apple's Map for awhile.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Slow and Blurry

It is very slow at loading maps and they always look blurry. There is no turn by turn. How is this a stab at Apple from Nokia? Apple Maps look and work a lot better for me. I was happy with Google maps too, but I missed the turn by turn. I only wish the Apple Maps had an offline mode. I want to save the map and route before I leave home so I don't have to use up my ridicolous 200MB of cell data.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
It is very slow at loading maps and they always look blurry. There is no turn by turn. How is this a stab at Apple from Nokia? Apple Maps look and work a lot better for me. I was happy with Google maps too, but I missed the turn by turn. I only wish the Apple Maps had an offline mode. I want to save the map and route before I leave home so I don't have to use up my ridicolous 200MB of cell data.

All I'm going to say is... C'mon Chelsea!

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Google were just complaining about nothing to draw attention from not being ready. Apple obviously never made any suggestions to the effect that mapping applications would now be refused.

Oh I don't disagree with you at all. In fact, I'm quite happy with Apple Maps. But it's not a bad thing if Google has theirs in the store, too.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'm not very sure about the interface but the local mapping data is loads better than Apple's. It's even got names on all the towns and they are in the right place too. :D

I'll have to check it out properly when I get home from work.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It's so bad, makes Apple's maps look like Google's. It has virtually no information in Japan. Few streets, no shops. It's basically blank! Someone's getting fired.

I think you're spreading misinformation(BS), I am in a small town in Java Indonesia and all the streets seem to be there.
Japan should be much better than Indonesia don't you think so.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
This app is poor in quality. Lacking a lot of information, most POIs are wrong, the interface is ugly. It makes Apple maps seem like the epitome of mapping solutions.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Maps are blurry. Almost as if they're images always being displayed "zoomed in".

Geez, you'd think Nokia could do better. This is just sad.

Depends on your location I suppose, Google, Apple also have the same issues - quality of the satellite imaginary.

I like Here overall, small, fast to start up. Off line maps aren't really offline as per Navigon et al.

This app is poor in quality. Lacking a lot of information, most POIs are wrong, the interface is ugly. It makes Apple maps seem like the epitome of mapping solutions.

Example of lacking information, incorrect POI?

---
Overall, Google maps was far better.

PaulTokyo

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2012
not in the Japan store

for the obvious reason... it's a piece of junk in Japan... anybody who downloaded please check the level of detail in Tokyo, lets say the busiest train station in the world... Shinjuku Station... I know, you cant find/see it... another POS solution. Glad I still kept my iPhone4 on iOS 5.x with tethering... hate apple at the moment...

elec999

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
crap!!. Used it once and its crap. Apple have been working for me well here in Toronto Canada.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
for the obvious reason... it's a piece of junk in Japan... anybody who downloaded please check the level of detail in Tokyo, lets say the busiest train station in the world... Shinjuku Station... I know, you cant find/see it... another POS solution. Glad I still kept my iPhone4 on iOS 5.x with tethering... hate apple at the moment...

Try the web version... M.here.net. Apple Maps even better

Here what should be Shibuya ... (Shinjuku not yet build)
image.jpg

Maybe there were not allowed from Japanese data owner to use it ...

Last edited:

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
I came to the conclusion that free maps are simply what you pay for. In most places Google Maps have proven to be incomplete / inaccurate. Apple made it worse and now Nokia has to prove that there is always another low. HERE is terrible on the iPhone 5. Icons/pictograms are almost unreadable and do not scale up, POI list is garbage, loading is slow (even on LTE) and public transportation data is completely random. This is junk.

I stay with Navigon's paid software with real accurate maps (here in Europe), reliable traffic and obstruction data, valid POI lists, accurate public transport data, lane assistant that works and a true turn-by-turn display optimized for driving (which Nokia's isn't).

Just not sure why Nokia's fanboys have been raving about their superior maps so loudly... They certainly have never tried anything good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.