Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc., organizational structures are departmentalized. Google maps, within Google is a separate entity. Actually, different products maybe located in different parts of the country or the world even. Youtube is no different. My point is why delay a new or improved product just because there is an issue or needed update to another product. Businesses don't work that way. A problem with one General Motors model vehicle does not mean GM should stop the operations of other models. Your and similar comments are asinine.

drudus

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
It isn't like Apple doesn't understand this concept. They did it with ALAC (far too late though) and with webkit. Hell, webkit really took off too! Airplay has that same potential.

You do realise webkit was already open source before Apple worked on it? They forked from KHTML. Apple sat on their changes for a long time & made merging back into the KHTML source difficult.
The world is a better place because of it, but your revisionist history is misleading in terms of how well Apple contribute to Open Source projects.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
The Microsoft TV has been out for years and is the most successful of all.

You might have heard of it, it's called the Xbox 360, too bad MS doesn't realize what it already has what both Apple and Google want.

Oh they are aware and they have been pushing features down the pipe for that system for years.

You can use it as a receiver for certain TV providers, it has plenty of streaming apps (HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu and so forth) and as far as I can remember I have been streaming media from my PC to it. Way before Air Play came about. Hell now I can even control it with my Galaxy S3.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Kinda like how the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 were too slow to get Siri.

...yet the Mini has it, and runs it quite well.

Wait, did Apple ever say that or are you just taking what somebody here said and running with it like Apple said it?

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I don't give a damn about Apple making/losing money. I'm not a shareholder. I'd every much like for the products I buy from Apple to be able to interoperate with devices from other vendors though.

Thank goodness, like I said, Apple still does implement open standards in a wide breadth of areas. It's just a few key areas they seem to lock theirs products to.

Apple gives a damn. That's really all that matters.
Apple doesn't give a crap about interoperability with "other" products. They don't make the other products. And when they make a product, they make it interoperable with there other products. Its why you buy Apple in the first place. Cause it works with there stuff. Not because it works with competitors stuff.

Airplay works just fine with products (audio) that support it. When Apple can control the way the ecosystem works, they license. If they can't, they don't. You can't make Google phones work the same with Apple's iPhone if Apple doesn't control the experience. You end up with crap that works some times, and not the same ALL the time across many different types of devices. Who in there right mind wants to support all the various versions of Android across all the various phones out there? Not to mention its a differentiation between what Apple sells vs everyone else. Why buy an iPhone if I can "FaceTime, iMessage, Airplay, photo stream, etc" to any other device not made by Apple? Why not just license iOS while your at it, and stop making the phone too? How many crap Droid phones are out there verses REALLY good Droid phones? I'm willing to bet more crap then good. How many bad iOS phones are out there verses good ones? NONE!

Apple currently does not make a TV. So if you wan to stream video to a monitor or TV (connected to a computer that doesn't have the correct hardware to support it), you need an Apple iTV. I can currently stream video to my iPad, and iPhones from my cable box (Optimum App), and get any other video I want from either the internet or from applications that will play video on my iOS device. And via the iTV send said video to my TV. I can have my existing TV (Which isn't smart) connected to an inexpensive device "iTV", and have it work. I also don't need a computer in the house to make any of this work. Just iOS devices, and an iTV. I can have my "old" TV work with all the new internet features.

Audio on the other hand is featured in may Home Audio receivers, and Airplay enabled speakers. Google's is not as well featured on such devices. The Yamaha receiver I am getting has an App for both iOS and Droid to operate as a remote control. But, I don't believe it will support audio (wirelessly) via Droid.

In order for Google to pull this off. They will have to create an open standard, AND get lots of vendors to support it. Most importantly, it will have to be really good. Meaning, it works across MANY devices similarly and reliably. Something that is hard to do when you don't control it.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
In order for Google to pull this off. They will have to create an open standard, AND get lots of vendors to support it. Most importantly, it will have to be really good. Meaning, it works across MANY devices similarly and reliably. Something that is hard to do when you don't control it.

Miracast

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
The point is that its the best of Apple - it just works.

We use it all the time. Fact that the AppleTV is so cheap made it worth a try, and we found Airplay to just be fantastic.

I wish more apps would use it for the second screen, though. There are some amazing things you could do with that.

trevorep

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. Is that what they're talking about in this article? I believe Android just added support for it and a few other companies have TVs coming out soon that will support it.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
They should. Communication protocols used in implementations like AirPlay, AirPrint, FaceTime, Skype, should be opened up or open-sourced. Interoperability benefits all users instead of being locked in. It's the right thing to do. And it doesn't hinder any company's ability to make profits.

Imagine of TCP/IP was kept proprietary, we probably wouldn't have the internet we know it today.

It certainly does cost companies money. Lock-in through cloud services is the new buzz-word in the tech industry. While opening those standards MIGHT create a better experience for consumers who can access anyone on any platform, it might also make for a worse experience if it removes some of the polish and reliability from the service. Things like iMessage, FaceTime, and especially AirPlay lock people like me into Apple's ecosystem because I get used to the reliable functionality they provide. That makes Apple more money.

For example - I was unpleasantly surprised, that my friend with iPhone 4 could not play video to my Apple TV 3. Only audio, because video streaming "is not supported on this device". PATHETIC! I don't believe for a second, that iPhone 4 is not technically capable of sending a youtube video to Apple TV. This is simply an artificial restriction of older device.

This is absolutely not true. The iPhone 4 can transmit video over Airplay just fine. I use it ALL the time.

The question is how well it actually works in practice, which will dictate its adoption rate. Airplay has taken off because it works VERY well and provides a lot of useful functionality with little headache.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Apple really needs to license the video portion of AirPlay to third parties, or open it up like they said they planned to when it launched. Requiring me to switch sources on my receiver to display AirPlay video kind of defeats the purpose of the simplicity of AirPlay in the first place. That or give me an Apple branded receiver that I can buy.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Make no mistake, Google is trying to kill Airplay. Apple never went into the search business, but now Google is going into the Airplay business. This "Do No Evil" mantra a just plain bullhsit.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
This is absolutely not true. The iPhone 4 can transmit video over Airplay just fine. I use it ALL the time.

I saw it with my own eyes. iPhone 4 and Apple TV 3. My friend could play only sound and there was a message displayed on his iPhone about not being able to show video. I think he tried to show something from YouTube. Maybe you can play iTunes store video content?

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Work on making your streaming sphere $100 before people care about your "AirPlay Killer," Google.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
A standard?

Sure, a single solution would be ideal, IF it worked properly all the time.

I've played around with trying to stream video from devices to TVs in my house for years though, and standards like DLNA / uPNP never quite cut it.

For starters? There's something inefficient, buggy or just a little bit "off" with the whole detection process for DLNA. If I have some type of media server running that supports the standard and then I fire up a client device like my Playstation 3 or my Samsung Plasma TV with built in DLNA functionality, the server doesn't immediately show up as available. Sometimes I have to do multiple "searches" before it appears, and in some environments, I've even had the media server flat out refuse to be detected -- yet trying again on another day, it would show up without problems. All of this was on a wired gigabit ethernet network too!

Then there's the issue that once you connect to a DLNA media server, you don't necessarily see a really "clean" folder and file structure for the content. Granted, you can blame this on poor design by the folks making various media server applications ... but it's still part of the user experience you're going to get by embracing the "standards" right now. You're likely to see weird double sets of folders or find all your movies AND TV shows have to be filed in ONE folder for them to show up on the clients properly.

After that, you're up to the next "deal breaker" issue, which is compatibility problems with various encoding methods and parameters for the digital media. GoogleTV, for example, has fewer formats integrated into their OS than some products do. Therefore, it will encounter some streaming video it simply can't play properly. (The guys who make the Plex application have this problem supporting their GoogleTV version of their client.) The Playstation 3 is very picky too, and some of the .MP4 format files I have play the video and audio out of sync on it, while on my Mac or PC, they play without any issues.

Apple's Airplay, while proprietary, is nice because it pretty much "just works" (as Mac people like to say). It doesn't have weird detection issues, shares exactly what you tell it to share, has little to no lag, and since it only operates in Apple's controlled environment - will play the files back properly.

I agree. This is a situation where a single solution is best. Why should the marketplace be cluttered with variations of the same concept when there's already a standard? None of them will gain significant marketshare.

Companies should spend more time innovating instead of competing for the sake of competing. How does Google plan to improve this concept?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I saw it with my own eyes. iPhone 4 and Apple TV 3. My friend could play only sound and there was a message displayed on his iPhone about not being able to show video. I think he tried to show something from YouTube. Maybe you can play iTunes store video content?

I use my iPhone 4 all the time with Airplay on an AppleTV 3, through a wide variety of apps. I have never encountered nor heard of such a restriction.

What point is there is playing iTunes store content via Airplay? I can play that direct from the ATV. (I guess, as you say, at a friends house. Not a use case I've ever encountered, but I suppose it makes sense).

Edit: There are some apps that have never bothered to update their Airplay handling to send video. However that is an APP problem, not an Apple restriction!

Renzatic

Suspended
Wait, did Apple ever say that or are you just taking what somebody here said and running with it like Apple said it?

Probably something someone said around here. I dunno.

But you have to admit it's stupid the Mini gets all the latest and greatest iOS features, while the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 are left behind. There's no hardware restrictions behind the exclusion. The Mini proves as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.