Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I don't know or care if Apple does make real :apple:TV display or not, all I know is that it would be pretty stupid to expect people to drop their perfectly good current TV set to buy one made by Apple.

I still think the current little 99$ :apple:TV box is the way to go. I've got mine connected to a 23" computer display, the whole setup costs around 250$ with taxes. :cool:

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Why do people expect an iPad designed with skinny borders like the mini? The borders are there to give you someplace to hold the thing whilst using it. They justified their removal on the mini by suggesting it's small enough to hold in your palm one handed. Not true of the bigger iPad. I just can't seem them doing away with usability in favor of cosmetics.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I can see the Apple television set in 2013, the "5s", and the Apple TV update. I disagree with the iPad mini with retina display in March and it's later spec bump. I see the quick update to iPad 4 as an anomaly. I think we'll see a return to close to yearly updates for both products. I fully expect a Mini with retina display, just not in March. Possibly closer to September. Also I wonder about a retina Air. I'm not even positive it's possible.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Apple Television is interesting... I can already see the 'problems' that will plague that product *sigh*

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
- March 2013: iPad Mini with Retina display, update the little Apple TV box, allowing to do accept apps from developers, and some sort of iTunes radio product.

But we know from the suppliers that are building the Retina displays that they are not ready till Q3 2013 with production for Q4 2013.

We had this on the front-page news a few weeks back.

Yet this nonsense is still trotted out :rolleyes:

Tech analysts predictions are about as reliable as Mystic Meg... :cool:

On top of that

- September 2013: iPhone 5S, a "modest upgrade" from the iPhone 5. The iPad Mini gets a specs bump, and we get a new iPad, which is totally redesigned to look more like the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

so 6 months later again they predict them to release another....

Yeah... right...... whatever...........

And yet this then contradicts the story you ran the other day of an accelerated summer release for the iPhone 5S .... :/

Tech analysts. The bane of human existence.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Apple doesn't even have this specific a timetable for new product releases for 2013. Esp not in this crazy supplier climate.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Munster is envious of the stopped clock. Seriously how many years has Munster been predicting a television now – and people listen to this guy for investing advice.

Medinarem

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
Why do people expect an iPad designed with skinny borders like the mini? The borders are there to give you someplace to hold the thing whilst using it. They justified their removal on the mini by suggesting it's small enough to hold in your palm one handed. Not true of the bigger iPad. I just can't seem them doing away with usability in favor of cosmetics.

Totally agree the black border around the ipad allows you to hold the ipad with one had (gripping it) and use it with the other. If this was redesigned then I would constantly cover a portion of the screen and constantly activate the touch screen display.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Munster's almost always wrong. A MBA with retina would have abysmal battery life. Maybe Haswell will make this possible, but I doubt it. I think the MBA will be the last Mac to get upgraded. And regarding the Apple TV: he's predicted this every year. Sooner or later he'll be right.

The only thing that sounds plausible is iOS 7 /10.9, but those are a given.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Articles citing Gene Munster's "predictions" should also list the numerous times he was flat out wrong.

In fact, every "analyst" name should be followed by a rating like Rotten Tomatoes because most of the time these people make huge predictions that the media latches on to, and then have zero accountability for when they're wrong.

So I'd love to see rotten tomatoes analyst scoring it go like this:
Apple TV is predicted to come out in April by Gene Munster (7%) which was confirmed up by John Johnson (0%) from ProAnalysis Corp (0%). Walt Mossberg (81%) claims it doesnt exist and calls out Munster for predicting the same thing every year.

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I don't know or care if Apple does make real :apple:TV display or not, all I know is that it would be pretty stupid to expect people to drop their perfectly good current TV set to buy one made by Apple.
People drop perfectly good current devices for new perfectly good devices all the time. I dropped my perfectly good Macbook Pro for one with a retina display. I don't think it's that outrageous that if Apple makes a compelling product, people will buy it.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
iPhone 5s

Pretty much shows how predictable Apple's minor spec bump has become...

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Two iPad mini updates in one year would be a surprise. Surely more processing power would be required to drive retina display. Is he saying first change would simple add the screen but keep internals? I.e, slower overall due to the need to drive 4x the number of pixels and shorter battery life due to the increased power drain.

It currently reads like a wish list to me.

I also think Apple will focus on services during 2013, to drive hardware sales, I.e., improved iCloud functionality, iTunes Match lite (free service for iTunes purchased content only), improved Maps on all platforms, Siri out of beta, iMessage / FaceTime improved and possibly merged, a unique way of accessing OS X desktop from iDevices.

I do also think Apple will launch something totally unexpected next year, possibly in the automotive space.

Finally, I think Apple has focussed on the consumer market for the past 4 or 5 years, but I think now they have a wider halo in that space, they will start to focus attention onto Pro/corporate space. Don't be surprised if they enter the server market again, but with an emphasis on cloud, messaging and simple business tool creation (apps), I.e., Next computing roots.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't believe we will see a retina mini THAT soon followed by another mini update later that year??

Apple may do this to blast the competition. The tech world changes fast and maybe Apple realizes it will be to their advantage to have shorter update cycles.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Seriously why buy an iPad 4. The next iPad thinner lighter full sized with the backing like the newer idevices is what we all have been waiting for.

*THIS*
I just want to know when the iPad 5 will be coming out!:mad:
March/April?
Or not until next fall?
HHHHHHHHHHHHH

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I'm actually excited for an iPad that looks like the mini or iP5. Definitely wont be getting the iP5S if its like the 4 to 4S upgrade. Siri wasn't worth wasting an upgrade... I almost never use that feature.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
How many years has Munster been predicting the arrival of an Apple TV now Arn? This guys job is to drive AAPL, which Piper Jaffray actively trade. Isn't it time you stop helping them make money?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
If they update the mini to retina in March, EVERYONE will be pissed. It's one thing to have a spec bump quickly (let's face it, going from a 3rd gen to a 4th gen iPad isn't really that big of a deal), but doing a major screen update just 5 months after you first release a product? That's just screwing people. Not only will it make everyone who just bought a mini feel like they were taken, but it would KILL resale value of the device. I mean, you'd have a non-retina product that was only out for 5 months. No one will buy that second hand.

I'm getting a mini for Christmas...I'm excited by it, and I don't think the screen will be that big of a deal. If they put the A6 in it in March, I won't really care. No problem. If they put a retina display in it in March, I'll be a bit miffed, as I'd have waited the 3 months... A retina mini next year? Yeah, I expect that, and I'm OK having the non-retina version for a year.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
No one is going to pay $1,500 - $2,000 for the privilege of owning an Apple-branded TV. I love Apple products, but even I'm not that crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.