Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Articles citing Gene Munster's "predictions" should also list the numerous times he was flat out wrong.

In fact, every "analyst" name should be followed by a rating like Rotten Tomatoes because most of the time these people make huge predictions that the media latches on to, and then have zero accountability for when they're wrong.

So I'd love to see rotten tomatoes analyst scoring it go like this:
Apple TV is predicted to come out in April by Gene Munster (7%) which was confirmed up by John Johnson (0%) from ProAnalysis Corp (0%). Walt Mossberg (81%) claims it doesnt exist and calls out Munster for predicting the same thing every year.

If it was another rumour site you'd bet that their track record would be addressed. But not so for zero luck Munster.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think an Apple television is a bad idea. Now the appleTV I think is a good device since you can hook that up to any TV. As far the mini. I see a retina mini with the same res as the iPad 3 and 4. This would make it a super retina screen. Though I don't think its coming out in March. The iPad 5 will be the same design as the iPad mini and iPhone yet will retain the larger sides like the iPad 1-4. Both iPads will go with IGZO displays. Ipad 5 will be around 1- 1.2 lbs.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Pretty much shows how predictable Apple's minor spec bump has become...

So predictable that when Apple doesn't exactly meet the predictions (such as delaying the 4s or bringing the fourth gen iPad out after seven months), people go nuts and tear their hair.

If Apple calls the next iPhone the iPhone 6, some folks will FREAK OUT!

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Makes no sense.

I'm not even touching the Apple TV stuff, it's all just rumor at this point.

As for products...

I still think that the computers will be bumped in the spring and will be from this point forward. Minor tweaks for the most part (maybe not even an event, just a upgrade in 2013). Only exception is the Mac Pro. We see a new Mac Pro in the spring or it dies, I'm 50/50 on this. This times out perfectly for those graduation gifts, going off to school purchases.

In the early summer we get WWDC for IOS and OSX. This become a pure software event.

Late summer or early fall, we get the iPhone, iPad announcement. iPods also updated at this time, but not a major thing anymore. This is perfect timing for gearing up for the holiday season.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I can't imagine that any Apple TV will appear until the problems with the cable and satellite companies are worked out. Jobs talked about the "balkanized" nature of that industry, and until a suitable agreement can be worked out for delivering content, an actual Apple TV would be pointless.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Retina Display iPad Mini in March, with spec bumps later? Yeah, right.

Said the exact same thing about iPad 3, and that's exactly what happened. I don't think I'd be surprized with anything anymore. In fact, I bet this is where Munster got the idea from. If they did it once and got away with it, why not twice?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol those reports ... isnt it pretty obvs that each device is gonna get an update in 2013 ... duh

thats like saying ... BREAKING NEWS ... weather is gonna get warmer around april with an all year high around august before it gets colder for the fall season

and i doubt they'll release an actual apple tv more like an improved "apple tv" maybe finally adding app support?

HOWEVER what i do think is gonna happen, shorter randomly chosen update circles throughout the year. see: iPad 3 (the one that was new at some point before it got old and went extinct, remember?)

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Articles citing Gene Munster's "predictions" should also list the numerous times he was flat out wrong.

In fact, every "analyst" name should be followed by a rating like Rotten Tomatoes because most of the time these people make huge predictions that the media latches on to, and then have zero accountability for when they're wrong.

So I'd love to see rotten tomatoes analyst scoring it go like this:
Apple TV is predicted to come out in April by Gene Munster (7%) which was confirmed up by John Johnson (0%) from ProAnalysis Corp (0%). Walt Mossberg (81%) claims it doesnt exist and calls out Munster for predicting the same thing every year.

There was a great site called Wrong Tomorrow that tracked expert predictions (it wasn't limited to tech) but it has sadly ceased to be.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Retina Display iPad Mini in March, with spec bumps later? Yeah, right.

Yeah, I mean, when has that ever happened? Retina and spec bumps later in the year. Didn't happen with the iPad 3 -> 4. Oh wait...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Why do people expect an iPad designed with skinny borders like the mini? The borders are there to give you someplace to hold the thing whilst using it. They justified their removal on the mini by suggesting it's small enough to hold in your palm one handed. Not true of the bigger iPad. I just can't seem them doing away with usability in favor of cosmetics.

With all the antibiotics and hormones in our food supply, people grow bigger and bigger. Some in the wrong areas

But, it will only be a matter of time when we can all grab a 10.1 inch iPad with one hand.

Some basketball players can already do this right now.

I am sure Apple is planning ahead for when that all happens.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
UGH. They aren't going to make a TV. You gotta be in grammar school to think that true. Expect breakthroughs in content delivery and a new aTV. Maybe not untill '14.

BillabongJoe

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
I don't think any iPads will be released until September/October next year, and I don't think he mini will get a retina display.

I also don't think the Airs will get a retina display. The current pros can barely handle them they aren't ready for Airs yet.

I do hope more then anything else though that the Apple TV(the current little box) gets apps though, it doesn't even need to be full blown apps, but at least something to allow content providers to get on there easily, that would transform it from a handy little box to a must have device IMO.

I do have a suspicion that they will move the iPhone launch back to WWDC though. There were rumours that the original move was due to supply constraints, and I think now is a good time to get back on track. Now its seems like all there big releases are bunched up late in the year, and I've never really seen the iPhone as a holiday gift anyway, at least not as much as the iPad which I think better suits the October release.

Also I think the OSX update will be announced in spring again and released at WWDC. Same for iOS if the iPhone launch does move back.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
hmm
Thin iMacs
Thin Retina MiniPads
Thin iPad 4
iTunes 11

speedbump for the
MBAir
MBPro
MBPro Retina

still no Mac Pro
still no Logic
still no Final Cut

zZzzZZzzZZz you can see why their stock is in the toilet

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
I do think the iPad Mini with Retina is plausible, given how quickly they released the iPad 4 after the iPad 3 came out. But I don't understand the strategy. Why would anyone bother buying an iPad Mini now when a Retina version is just around the corner? I'm sure these rumors hurt both their bottom line and their stocks.

egibbys

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
SLC, UT
My Prediction:

- March 2013: Apple TV Set-top box, Apple iPanel, iTunes Radio (Revolutionary Products)
- June 2013: iOS 7, OS X 10.9, Mac Pro, Macbook Spec Bump (Software Products & Macs)
- September 2013: iPhone 5s, iPod lineup (Mobile Products)
- November 2013: iPad Mini with Retina, iPad 5 (Tablets) - iPad needs the holidays

This prediction would make a lot more sense than the given article.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
New Categories of Product!

Wall Street thinks that Apple cannot keep up its growth trajectory unless it comes up with new categories of products.

So Munster is trying to feed the emaciated dogs with predictions of new categories of products.

It is a well known fact that AAPL is the most manipulated stock on the market, with guys like Munster pulling the laboring oar.

Buy on the rumor!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.