Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Decided 16gb (bought at launch sim free) wasn't enough space on my iPhone and I managed to finally get a decent deal out of EE for an early upgrade, so today I sold my black iPhone 5 and got a white 32 on upgrade..

My first thoughts of the white were a little 'cheap' and 'tacky' when Apple showed it, but in the flesh it is gorgeous.

Very happy and for the record, both my black phones had marks and scuffs, and a generally poorer build quality but this white is immaculate and solid.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I was really hoping to use the phrase, "Once you go black, you never go back." but you gave me absolutely nothing! Thanks! :D

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
You know, I had the same thought but couldn't rephrase!!

"Once you go white, you'll see the light".

For me it was more "Once I saw white I decided to go black". Mine is flawless and I think in the flesh it just has a slight edge being rather stealthy than elegant looking.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I have the white one, and I want the black one. As one reviewer said, the white one looks too feminine, too much like jewelry. The black is sexy.

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
The white is damn nice too. Honestly though I am perfectly fine with my choice with the 32gb black iPhone 5. My girlfriend has a white iPhone 5 and I do think it's nice too but since I had the 4S in white and an S3 in white, I felt a bit "drained" from seeing white all the time haha.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I went from black to white and I like the white a lot more.. with black one, I had to clean the back constantly due to fingerprints, plus I didn't want to deal with scratches on the black bezel. The only thing I liked about the black was the flushed black screen, but still like the white better.

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
If you are worried about your perceived sexuality based on owning a white iPhone, you have bigger issues than the color of your phone.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
I have the black 5 and my wife has the white. The white one will hold up much better over time and is a nice looking phone. The black looks great, but if you don't keep it in a case 100% of the time it will look weathered in a matter of days. Considering that, switching to white isn't a bad move, especially when you want to sell it to purchase the 6.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I went in there looking for a black 64gb but all they had was white 32gb. The genius told me I have 30 days to exchange if I want but the white is starting to grow on me. If anyone is worried about their sexuality for having the iPhone in white needs to look in the mirror

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
the white iPhone 4/4s was the best. the 5 in white not so much don't know why,the all black iphone sold me in a second and i had all intentions of buying white .

----------

I have the black 5 and my wife has the white. The white one will hold up much better over time and is a nice looking phone. The black looks great, but if you don't keep it in a case 100% of the time it will look weathered in a matter of days. Considering that, switching to white isn't a bad move, especially when you want to sell it to purchase the 6.

i disagree. i have never put any iPhones in cheap plastic cases and they always look mint. my 5 i bought on launch isn't in a case if i told u i bought it yesterday u would believe me. it's been almost 2 months to the day and zero scuffs zero scratches.

over time the white iphone will discolor especially the home button and in the sun it will look hideous. unlike u i speak from experience

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I go back and forth on which is better. I've always had white iPhones since the 3G, 3GS and 4, and bought white again this time with the iPhone 5. I'm kinda of wishing I had a black one though.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I have the black 5 and my wife has the white. The white one will hold up much better over time and is a nice looking phone. The black looks great, but if you don't keep it in a case 100% of the time it will look weathered in a matter of days.
I doubt it will weather in days and I still need to see all those weather iPhones.

I am sure it will show wear over time, but I am perfectly fine with that. My 3G had that too and it was no problem until the back actually cracked just from daily use.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Very happy and for the record, both my black phones had marks and scuffs, and a generally poorer build quality but this white is immaculate and solid.

This made me LOL.

I did hear that they make the white ones in the Tier 1 Foxconn plan where only tenured foxconn employees work and only after having had 8-10 hours of sleep and a hearty breakfast to ensure proper nutrients for assembling the "white" phones.

:rolleyes:

----------

All joking aside, I have yet to see a white one in person.

I am glad you like the white one. I may venture into that territory for the next iphone

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I have to agree. I'd disliked the look of the white phone ever since the initial iP5 leaks, but when they actually released and I had the chance to handle them I was surprised to find I much preferred it to the murdered-out black/slate version. It feels brighter and cleaner to me. Not to mention less scuff-prone.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I did hear that they make the white ones in the Tier 1 Foxconn plan where only tenured foxconn employees work and only after having had 8-10 hours of sleep and a hearty breakfast to ensure proper nutrients for assembling the "white" phones.
That's ridiculous, they are just happier when assembling a friendly white iPhone instead of depressing black ones.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
That's ridiculous, they are just happier when assembling a friendly white iPhone instead of depressing black ones.

I would have thought that they prefer assembling black as it absorbs more light and white reflects more light thus shining more brightly into their eyes.

:D

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I would have thought that they prefer assembling black as it absorbs more light and white reflects more light thus shining more brightly into their eyes.

:D
No they are all nearly blind from cheap 65% Báijiǔ they drink to endure their miserable existence, so they are happy they can see the phones at all, not just using their tactile senses.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I like the black 5! I had a white 4S and it kept getting dirty along the edges. Atleast with the black it isn't as noticeable.

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
No they are all nearly blind from cheap 65% Báijiǔ they drink to endure their miserable existence, so they are happy they can see the phones at all, not just using their tactile senses.

images

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
the white iPhone 4/4s was the best. the 5 in white not so much don't know why,the all black iphone sold me in a second and i had all intentions of buying white .

----------

i disagree. i have never put any iPhones in cheap plastic cases and they always look mint. my 5 i bought on launch isn't in a case if i told u i bought it yesterday u would believe me. it's been almost 2 months to the day and zero scuffs zero scratches.

over time the white iphone will discolor especially the home button and in the sun it will look hideous. unlike u i speak from experience

Actually, you speak ignorantly assuming I don't have experience. I had a black iPhone 5 that had much of the bezel showing through after less than a week. It was returned due to an antenna issue. When Apple gave me the replacement it was already scratched from the factory. I immediately showed the rep and he gave me another without scratches. My new one is in a case. I also had an iPhone 4 for over 2 years that looked new when I sold and it wasn't in a case. Before that I had the 3G, and I've seen many white iPhones, plenty of experience here.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Actually, you speak ignorantly assuming I don't have experience. I had a black iPhone 5 that had much of the bezel showing through after less than a week.

If you had a black iP5 with much of the bezel worn off after only a week, you had one with defective anodized coating. Speaking from experience in this case is meaningless as this isn't normal. Many of us (including myself) still have flawless black iP5 after two months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.