Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My Prediction:

- March 2013: Apple TV Set-top box, Apple iPanel, iTunes Radio (Revolutionary Products)
- June 2013: iOS 7, OS X 10.9, Mac Pro, Macbook Spec Bump (Software Products & Macs)
- September 2013: iPhone 5s, iPod lineup (Mobile Products)
- November 2013: iPad Mini with Retina, iPad 5 (Tablets) - iPad needs the holidays

You forgot the iTable, to compete with the original Microsoft Surface. It will work with the iPanel etc to do some of those nifty sci if tricks we saw in things like Terra Nova, Avatar and Quantum of Solace

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
March 2013: iPad 5th gen, thinner, more like iPad mini
April 2013: Preview of OS X 10.9 with integrated Siri and improved Maps
Summer 2013: WWDC, iOS 7 with *slight* Jony Ive like tweaks
Fall 2013: iPad mini with Retina, iPhone 5S with NFC and tweaks
Fall 2013: 1st iMac with Retina display, Airs will NOT get a retina display in 13.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I call bull$h*t. I highly doubt they will be updating the iPad mini that often. As soon as March? No, I don't think so. And it's not like it would be a crappy little update as I'm sure it will have retina display, updated iSight to 8MP, maybe storage changes since I see that happening at the next normal iPad release, A6X, 1GB ram, etc, etc. I see it getting the internals of the iPad 4 with maybe a little bit extra stuff due to technology advancing since then. Maybe the next iPad and iPad mini will have 1080p and higher picture quality on the FaceTime camera.

iMini with updated iSight and an iRetina iScren? iNcredible! iNever would have iHoped for anything so iMpossible? Offline iMaps and iSIRI too? iMagical!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
How long is this rumor of an Apple television set going to go on? It started 2 years ago and they just keep pushing the dates back. Lets just throw out all kinds of random guesses, push the release dates back each time and eventually we'll be right. Like Nostradamus, if you make enough predictions, some are bound to come true.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't believe the mini retina thing at all, not that early. How would they offer a retina mini so soon and at the same price point when they already said their profit margins aren't quite as high on the current iPad Mini compared to other stuff they sell.

Forget margins, look at battery tech. That is why they didn't go retina. I don't see that being solved so quick. A year maybe, but not six months. And not with no actual rumors at this point. Not this close to 'release'

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
please don't put the apple tv in a panel. I don't want to buy a new tv every time I want to upgrade the "receiver" hardware. I want to buy ANY tv/monitor I want and hook up a little black box to it. Oh, guess what, I can already do that. I'm hopeful for an appleTV upgrade but not one that adds a panel to the appleTV.

If it was inside a TV, where would Apple get their panels? Samsung? LG? Forget that, I don't want a TV or a new TV, I just want a box like the one they have.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
-March 2013: iPad Mini with Retina display, update the little Apple TV box, allowing to do accept apps from developers, and some sort of iTunes radio product.

iPad mini with retina to piss off the early adopters = yes, :apple:tv + apps, i don't see it happening, I also dont see iTunes radio happening, unless its only to iTunes match subscribers, Apple wont let you have radio unless its subscription based, heck,the wont even include normal radio in the iPod/iPhone/iPad ranges because they want you buying from iTunes not listening for free.

- June 2013: WWDC brings us previews of iOS 7, and OSX, as well as MacBook Airs with Retina displays. Look for Jony Ive's influence over iOS to start showing up here.

iOS 7 preview most likley, with a possible late in the year update, probably more iOS-isification of Mac OS X and Retina + Price Hikes on the Mac mobile range but no upgrade in GPUs means performance per $ continues to suffer in the quest to bring a feature thats not really needed for the average consumer

- September 2013: iPhone 5S, a "modest upgrade" from the iPhone 5. The iPad Mini gets a specs bump, and we get a new iPad, which is totally redesigned to look more like the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

i See the 5S being released earlier than this, maybe even nearer the iPad mini retina, no major upgrade except slightly fast GPU, and a re-done anodizing process so it doesn't chip like buggery. iPad upgrade a given.

- November 2013: An Apple TV comes out. It should cost $1,500-$2,000 and come in sizes from 42-inches to 55-inches

Ill eat my hat if apple release a TV set, there is no WAY they can convince a consumer to purchase a new set every 2 years the way they do all the other products they can sell, this is the biggest stumbling block they will have, how do they sell a product people buy once every 10 years, at a massively inflated price compared to all the competition in the market... i would think apple are still struggling on how to differentiate a true TV set from the crowd other than just making it aluminum and sticking an apple logo on it.

GadgetDon

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2002
And will anyone hold his feet to the fire when few if any of the predictions comes true? Of course not.

The iPad Mini with Retina in March - highly improbable. Not just because it's technically difficult to do so now without a price increase, but with the complaints over the iPad3->iPad4 update I doubt we'll see it that soon. AppleTV update and iTunes radio, conceivable.

MacBook Airs with Retina displays - possible though I'm not convinced. Between battery and cost issues, it'll be impressive if they can add a retina display without a price increase or battery life decrease. New iOS, obvious.

iPhone 5S - reasonable though I have a niggling thought that this year Apple wants to blow people away. iPad Mini with specs bump - obvious though this is where I'd expect to see the retina display. iPad totally redesigned to look more like the iPhone5 and iPad Mini (by which I presume he means skinny bezel on left/right while thick bezel top/bottom) -I don't buy it. The iPad's greater weight mean you need more gripping space on all four edges. But again I think this could be the year Apple tries to blow us all away.

Apple Television set - Nope. Not gonna happen. It's just not how Apple works. Apple looks for a product where there is a market but it's not quite mass market because normal people aren't happy with how it works, and creates a mass market product that sets standards in functionality and interface. TVs are a huge mass market already, and the essential function of "make pretty pictures move on a big screen" people are pretty pleased with what they do. The only possible scenario I could see was if Apple started making daughterboards for other TV makers to include in their sets and made their own TV to show "this is what it can be" - and even that doesn't quite feel like Apple.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Listening to Munster is a complete waist Of. This guy has been wrong so many times it's pathetic a perfect example of his stick manipulation were his earnings call last quarter. He was TOTALLY wrong

dai.hop

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, UK
I've been looking forward to an Apple television set for years.

Benefits

• Design + build quality
  • Intuitive UI
  • Apps
  • A remote control that doesn't have a billion obscure buttons that I never use
  • Subscribe by show, or by channel
  • On demand TV shows and movies that have already aired
  • Software updates
  • Facetime

I think that if they sell a television, and a set top box for those who don't want to part with their existing TV, then they'll have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I'm crossing my fingers for a larger 5s screen...

I think there is a 100.00% chance that wont happen.

I'm most interested to see what Ive does with the iOS7 UI. I really hope he pushes something that puts the iPad UI out in front of the iPhone UI and takes advantage on the added screen size.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
But we know from the suppliers that are building the Retina displays that they are not ready till Q3 2013 with production for Q4 2013.

We had this on the front-page news a few weeks back.

Yet this nonsense is still trotted out :rolleyes:

Tech analysts predictions are about as reliable as Mystic Meg... :cool:

On top of that

so 6 months later again they predict them to release another....

Yeah... right...... whatever...........

Yeah because Apple has never done that with the iPad :rolleyes:

I guess you forgot about the iPad 3 to iPad 4 upgrade cause it was suuuuch a long time ago.

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
Easy

Pretty Easy to do now.

Look at Apple's qtrs.

1st Oct-Dec
2nd Jan-Mar
3rd Apr-Jun
4th Jul-Sept

Now look at every release from last year on wikipedia (or here :) ) and then think that Apple needs to make these qtrs next year for stock to stay high. So example iPhone 5 came out in Sept. so Apple needs to make 4th qtr. iPhone 5s or 6 in Sept. TADA!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Ill eat my hat if apple release a TV set, there is no WAY they can convince a consumer to purchase a new set every 2 years the way they do all the other products they can sell, this is the biggest stumbling block they will have, how do they sell a product people buy once every 10 years, at a massively inflated price compared to all the competition in the market... i would think apple are still struggling on how to differentiate a true TV set from the crowd other than just making it aluminum and sticking an apple logo on it.

I sort of agree with you. I think the market for a TV is less than 10 years if there's a reason to upgrade. I know 10 years ago I had a projection screen. 5 years ago I got an LCD and now I'm looking for another upgrade to LCD or a new style plasma. Why? Because it's really much better now than it was even 2 or 3 years ago. Also, if you look at Apple Computers... I tend to upgrade my Apple laptops about every 5 years. Similar replacement cycle. For me anyway.

However... I'm not convinced a whole TV is needed. I'd say just pack more punch in the existing Apple TV. Add a real CPU. Add 7.1 surround. Add DVR capabilities. Give us game controllers, keyboards and such so I can surf or play games. Let me drive AppleTV from my iPad. Then pack up the content with channels for $.99 a month each and let me build my own channel package. Do this and hook up to any TV set... let Samsung and Sony play that money loosing game.

Just my thoughts off the top of my head. :D

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, I mean, when has that ever happened? Retina and spec bumps later in the year. Didn't happen with the iPad 3 -> 4. Oh wait...

No...

The iPad 2 to the 3 took a year, and then 7 months to get a spec update. This prediction is both updates happening in less than a year...

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Not truly sure about the AppleTV yet. I think in time, it is inevitable. But Apple has been under the notion for quite a long time that if there is someone else out there that can do it better, they'll let them do it. i.e., TV manufacturers already make great products, so why would Apple have to make a TV and compete by getting people to ditch their existing investments (let's face it, an HDTV is an investment of $$) and buy an AppleTV. It's easier for Apple to just keep making the current AppleTV even better.

The real fun begins when we start trying to figure out what OS X 10.9 will be called :p

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
March 2013: iTunes 11 released! finally :rolleyes:

opps im sorry i meant it will be announced in november 2012 it has been delayed to march 2013 and march 2013 will come and it will still not be out.

updated prediction:

October 2013: iTunes 11 released or delayed some more :rolleyes:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
$1,500 would be ridiculously expensive, relative to sets on the market even today.

That would be around £1130 including tax, and when you can get a nice 42" set for half that price I can't imagine what the Apple TV could do that would convince me to spend so much more.

For that price, I'd need:

- the best screen ever
- the best sound ever
- no bezels
- sticks to wall using blu tack
- in-built video game system (ok, just FIFA 14)
- damn stylish
- free iPad Mini as a remote
- a free woman bringing me beer

olufsen69

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2005
Pacific NorthWest
- November 2013: An Apple TV comes out. It should cost $1,500-$2,000 and come in sizes from 42-inches to 55-inches
Will only be in black/white. No color tv until at least the 3rd product release as Apple will want to slowly lead us to color broadcasts. Also 42-55 inches seems a little big for a black and white set, maybe more like say 10-15 inches. Oh and no included remotes as Apple wants its customers healthy so expect tuner knobs so you will have to get off the couch and walk to the tv and manually change channels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.