Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
I need help right here. When I purchased a new well-sealed iPod touch 4G, the reseller didn't unsealed and activated the product for me. Instead, he told me to activate it on my own.

I felt assured and went home. But, then I found out after unsealing the iPod touch, there was no first-time activation apps, instead I could just enter the homescreen right away after "sliding to unlock". The OS was 5.1.1 although it was supposed to be 5.0.1. And I also noticed that on Apple Support Profile, it had been registered to another Apple ID.

How could it possibly happen ? I mean that the iPod touch was still sealed in genuine Apple sealed (with the grey "peel off" marking).

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Obviously, it had been activated prior to you buying it. Take it back to the guy you bought it from and demand a refund or exchange. Or at least a few bucks back as it's not new.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Where did you buy it??

I purchased it in Indonesia through a local, large, well-known Apple store (most of the people around got their Apple product from that store), though somehow it turned out to be Malaysia origin product.

How the iPod could've been activated if it was still sealed in the box ?

Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
It might've been a demo unit accidentally. I've heard of that. Was there anything on it? (Like music, videos, apps?) I would just restore the device as new just to be safe

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
It might've been a demo unit accidentally. I've heard of that. Was there anything on it? (Like music, videos, apps?) I would just restore the device as new just to be safe

Nah, nothing on it, someone could've restore it already or just resetting its memory. Anyway demo unit is still a second hand unit. I feel that I should get compensation for that

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Nah, nothing on it, someone could've restore it already or just resetting its memory. Anyway demo unit is still a second hand unit. I feel that I should get compensation for that

Stand up for yourself, go back to the seller and tell him it was used already and is registered to someone else. Ask to speak to the manager/shop owner. This is the issue with using "resellers" as opposed to "Official" Apple Stores....some may be out to make a quick buck however they can, even if it means selling on returned or opened items as brand new. I am sure it's easy to get your hands on plastic seals to put on and make a package look brand new, if you know where....I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in singe store resellers or large well known ones.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Stand up for yourself, go back to the seller and tell him it was used already and is registered to someone else. Ask to speak to the manager/shop owner. This is the issue with using "resellers" as opposed to "Official" Apple Stores....some may be out to make a quick buck however they can, even if it means selling on returned or opened items as brand new. I am sure it's easy to get your hands on plastic seals to put on and make a package look brand new, if you know where....I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in singe store resellers or large well known ones.

Alright, I'll try to bring up any evidence I have. If there's anything else to support my position, please let me know. Thanks

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Alright, I'll try to bring up any evidence I have. If there's anything else to support my position, please let me know. Thanks

Well, if you haven't already wiped it, it would have the other registration credentials on it. I'd say that's proof enough that it wasn't new.

Otherwise, you could probably check Apple's website to see when the warranty period started. If it was registered to a previous owner, the warranty date may not match your purchase date. That could be something that proves that it's not new.

Other than that, I'm not sure what other form of proof you could obtain.

ft

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Well, if you haven't already wiped it, it would have the other registration credentials on it. I'd say that's proof enough that it wasn't new.

Otherwise, you could probably check Apple's website to see when the warranty period started. If it was registered to a previous owner, the warranty date may not match your purchase date. That could be something that proves that it's not new.

Other than that, I'm not sure what other form of proof you could obtain.

ft

Alright, when I checked the warranty the warranty will expire at about 3 days earlier from the purchase date in 1 year.

Actually I had another thing in mind, if you purchased an Apple Product but you left it unactivated, would the warranty unactivated too ? I found out that a lot of bogus Apple store in my country had purchased iPods or iPads from neighbouring countries (i.e. Malaysia) to be sold in Indonesia. Would that activated (or even voided) the warranty.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you purchased from an Authorized Apple dealer, then they should make you whole by giving you a brand-new iPod touch OR giving you some money back ... say $50 or so.

As for the warranty thing, having the warranty start date as 3 days prior to your purchase is a big red flag. In my eyes, this is all the proof you need to claim that your iPt wasn't new.

As for the "grey" market iDevices ... I'm not sure. I do know that in the camera world, the Canons and Nikons of the world will not provide warranty services on grey market products. I'd guess Apple is the same or at the very least, the warranty would start when the original purchase was made (by the "importer").

Hope you get resolution to this issue. And Happy Thanksgiving!

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
If you purchased from an Authorized Apple dealer, then they should make you whole by giving you a brand-new iPod touch OR giving you some money back ... say $50 or so.

As for the warranty thing, having the warranty start date as 3 days prior to your purchase is a big red flag. In my eyes, this is all the proof you need to claim that your iPt wasn't new.

As for the "grey" market iDevices ... I'm not sure. I do know that in the camera world, the Canons and Nikons of the world will not provide warranty services on grey market products. I'd guess Apple is the same or at the very least, the warranty would start when the original purchase was made (by the "importer").

Hope you get resolution to this issue. And Happy Thanksgiving!

Alright, since I've got to ask for full refund or upgrade (by paying the price difference) to iPod touch 5th gen, I guess I won't be going to the store empty-handed.

Anyway, thanks for your info and happy thanksgiving too.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.