Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It's slow, it's ugly, I found gettign directions slightly less smooth an intuitive than in Apple or Google's maps, but it definitely has better POI data than Apple's (despite the corrections I've submitted to Apple) and knows about walking routes that Apple and even Google don't have quite right (although when I asked for walking directions in had some very strange suggestions!).

Again though, loss of Facetime is still a big miss :(

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Nokia Maps are slightly better than Apple Maps, but worse than Google Maps. So hurry up Google!

Which Nokia Maps are you looking at? Its TERRIBLE :(

Also if Nokia can get a maps app approved this easily with Apple then there is no reason why Google cant. Personally I reckon Google were putting on a bit of a show just to fuel the flames when Apple maps first launched.

So Google where's Google maps? Oh and if you manage to get it together any chance of a few extra pixels top and bottom so that it actually fills our screen unlike Google Earth? Thanks.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You're not alone, I've been a very loyal Apple customer since 1991. I am simply shocked at the stupid decision Apple has made. Shocked, but not surprised.

If there's one thing this proves (again), is that Apple thinks so highly of themselves, they honestly believe they can do anything and everything better than any other company on the planet.

The _World_ uses Google Maps... why reinvent the wheel?

What a total waste of time & resources. All in the name of vanity & ego.

Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android). Apple had to release a map app to compete.

----------

Nokia Maps are slightly better than Apple Maps, but worse than Google Maps. So hurry up Google!

Based on the comments I have read, it seems like people in the US are generally happy with Apple maps while people outside of the US (especially the UK) dislike Apple maps.

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I like it.
Functional and precise, better and detailed map of the area I live in than Maps.

If Nokia launches a good and reliable map, I cant wait to see the one from Google.

Maps from Apple are a joke!

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android). Apple had to release a map app to compete.

I notice that ixodes quoted one of the very few negative apple maps posts in this article. Always the Debbie Downer lol :rolleyes:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm not saying it looks good (it does look quite poor).

But at the end of the day, it doesn't have glaring omissions and errors like Apple Maps.

They have the road next to mine that was built in 2003.

They don't have a road running through a supermarket that was built in 1999.

They don't think that a carpet shop is a University.

Apple Maps are much higher resolution, but that's no use if it's just wrong!

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Which Nokia Maps are you looking at? Its TERRIBLE :(

Also if Nokia can get a maps app approved this easily with Apple then there is no reason why Google cant. Personally I reckon Google were putting on a bit of a show just to fuel the flames when Apple maps first launched.

So Google where's Google maps? Oh and if you manage to get it together any chance of a few extra pixels top and bottom so that it actually fills our screen unlike Google Earth? Thanks.

I looked this Here app which can be downloaded to iPhone. At least here in Helsinki Nokia Maps are much more detailed and correct than Apple Maps. But the app itself has been done poorly.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android).

Well that's only half the story, no? Google was willing to provide turn by turn directions under certain conditions which Apple refused. Google wanted to include their Latitude feature on Maps and the rather unobtrusive Google branding. But Apple didn't agree to the terms and so decided to create their own maps.

As far as the Nokia Map's goes, it's not a native app but a wrapper for an HTML5 app. That of course comes with all the performance and quality issues that implies. Nokia launched their maps fast but it is apparently just a half assed solution.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

Have you used it yet? I was excited to get it, tried it on my way to work. WTF there is no turn by turn! In walking mode only? Hello! we drive!

The map level detail was as good as the Apple product, but it was slower.

I haven't tried it enough to say it is more accurate with searches. So far it misses a search for International Plaza in Tampa FL; which is a high end retail mall with a Neimann Marcus, Tiffany's, Apple, LV, Nordstroms and more!

If Apple released this, they'd have gotten flamed even more. By that I mean, Apple got flamed, everyone said the other guys product was better, and here it is, and now we put it through the same paces and realize that the competitor was not as good as Google either.

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
As far as the Nokia Map's goes, it's not a native app but a wrapper for an HTML5 app. That of course comes with all the performance and quality issues that implies. Nokia launched their maps fast but it is apparently just a half assed solution.

This is clearly a mistake from Nokia. They should have done an excellent app or done nothing. Lousy app is bad for their reputation.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I looked this Here app which can be downloaded to iPhone. At least here in Helsinki Nokia Maps are much more detailed and correct than Apple Maps. But the app itself has been done poorly.

hahahaah - Population of 5.4 million area=338km sq Population of USA=312 million over an area of 9,827,000km sq

I think it to be much harder to cover the needs of 6000% more people and 29000 times more square area to cover.

Put it in perspective and you'll see why NOK is only a $3 stock and AAPL is $560+

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Bleh, tried it out and it's definitely not the Maps replacement some of us are looking for. Hopefully Google brings out an app soon.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Turn by turn via voice is only for walking? The voice doesn't speak in the background? You can only save one map at a time?

Seriously?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
This is clearly a mistake from Nokia. They should have done an excellent app or done nothing. Lousy app is bad for their reputation.

Definitely a mistake. They probably assumed that because so many people are disappointed with Apple maps, that they would embrace any other alternative that came out. So Nokia took the lazy/easy way and compiled an HTML5 app for iOS to launch fast thinking that everyone would just fall over it.

Im glad Google is taking their time with their app. They have all the data and features down, what they need to produce is a very solid app that is smooth and easy to use. If apps like Google+ and Google Voice Search for iOS are any indication, Google Maps for iOS will be terrific.

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Have you used it yet? I was excited to get it, tried it on my way to work. WTF there is no turn by turn! In walking mode only? Hello! we drive!

The map level detail was as good as the Apple product, but it was slower.

I haven't tried it enough to say it is more accurate with searches. So far it misses a search for International Plaza in Tampa FL; which is a high end retail mall with a Neimann Marcus, Tiffany's, Apple, LV, Nordstroms and more!

If Apple released this, they'd have gotten flamed even more. By that I mean, Apple got flamed, everyone said the other guys product was better, and here it is, and now we put it through the same paces and realize that the competitor was not as good as Google either.

I have used it. It was clearly said that it has no turn by turn. So that did not surprise me. Keep in mind that this is free app and it does not try to be a full mapping & navigation solution. But it helps people in places where Apple Maps simply don't have reliable data. I hope that Nokia would have done better job, but anyhow this is for me better than nothing. But for Nokia this is bad marketing.

Last edited:

aramelus

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
This is hillarious!:

Google earth (still not IP5 optimised tut tut):

Apple maps:

Nokia maps:

As usual anything Apple related gets ridiculous levels of scrutiny, this Nokia Maps app however will fade in the minds of everyone before tomorrow with a whimper and a fart.

Except for the Satellite image Nokia Maps is clearly better in your example, all the small Streets are missing in Google and Apple Maps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.