Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
If all Apple does is a modest 5s upgrade and doesn't release it till next Sept they surely have lost the plot, forget the 150bn they lost in stock yesterday..a iPhone 5s by next sept will look so old..I hate to say it and I'd never buy a Samsung but the S3 looks amazing..this time next year they be on the S5 or 6

Where the hell is the Mac Pro and now with the fiasco of using Logic and Mountain Lion causing so much problems Apple really have to pull their finger out..

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Give me a killer ATV box. Don't care for a television. Have one already that's great and love it. Like me, thousands of people have TVs that they want to keep.
Not sure if Apple should venture on TV sets.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Seriously why buy an iPad 4. The next iPad thinner lighter full sized with the backing like the newer idevices is what we all have been waiting for.

Because some of us didn't have an iPad and weren't going to buy the backwards lateral known as iPad 3. The 4 is the worthy successor to iPad 2. Next years will be great no doubt, but the 4 will be but a half step behind.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
No one is going to pay $1,500 - $2,000 for the privilege of owning an Apple-branded TV. I love Apple products, but even I'm not that crazy.

If it was compelling enough (and I mean REALLY compelling), I might. But I don't currently have a large screen TV, so I'm in a very small market segment: people currently shopping for a new TV.

But many people already have TV's. They're perfectly good. They're not going to get old and need replacing in 2-3 years like your laptop or phone or tablet. And I think you're right that not many people will say "Hmm, I should sell this perfectly good Panasonic LED TV so I can buy the new Apple one".

I just don't see much of a market. It was there 3-4 years ago when most people still didn't have flat screen TVs. When everyone was upgrading their old CRTs, Apple might have had a foothold. But I think they missed that window.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I don't see why there is no market for an upscale tv. $2000 for a 55" is fine, even if the Samsungs, LG, Sony go for half. I'd pay that if it had 4K upscaling, accurate colors, ISF calibrated, built in ATV, and typical Apple fit and finish. Just like there are budget projectors, there are plenty of kilobuck projectors as well.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
At this rate, Apple will only start releasing new products come June. I very much doubt Apple trying to refresh the iPad/iPad mini twice a year, analyst predicted iPad 3 at the end of 2011 which we obviously didn't see.
I felt it's very much a betray of Jobs strategy by releasing the 4th gen iPad with the iPad mini. But they might just move their iPad updates to fall in line with the iPod line up.
MacBook Pros and Retinas counter part will get their refresh when Intel releases Haswell, OS X and iOS 7 will come in WWDC
iPad mini will get the delay to release once in October, giving Apple supply more time to create the 7.9" Retina display. Hopefully a redesigned 9.7" iPad
Apple TV is very much doubtful, but if I had to speculate one, I would say Apple to release it right before the holidays next year, or very early 2013, fall right in line with other TV manufacturers, whom releases theirs at CES.
That's just what I think.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Because some of us didn't have an iPad and weren't going to buy the backwards lateral known as iPad 3. The 4 is the worthy successor to iPad 2. Next years will be great no doubt, but the 4 will be but a half step behind.

yep, that's why I bought the iPad4. Mine was the 2 and the improvement is significant. Also who knows exactly when the iPad 5 will come up anyway.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
But many people already have TV's. They're perfectly good. They're not going to get old and need replacing in 2-3 years like your laptop or phone or tablet. And I think you're right that not many people will say "Hmm, I should sell this perfectly good Panasonic LED TV so I can buy the new Apple one".

I just don't see much of a market. It was there 3-4 years ago when most people still didn't have flat screen TVs. When everyone was upgrading their old CRTs, Apple might have had a foothold. But I think they missed that window.

yep, that's how I feel. I have a Pioneer 60" that is gorgeous and have no desire to get rid of for at least another 5 years.
If they want to revolutionize the segment their best bet is to have a killer ATV box at a reasonable price so it can sell millions.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012

That makes no sense. Millions of tv's, computers, speakers are sold every year. For every one that just bought a big screen this year, another wants to upgrade his 5y old set or wants another for the basement, gym, cabin, bedroom, or whatever. You make it sound like people only bought flat screens 3years ago and everybody did it at the same time, so no one is looking anymore.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
No way they update the iPad Mini so soon. Just like the iPad 3 and the new iPad they're going to wait atleast a yea....

oh wait. nevermind.

yes it could happen

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Retina Macbook Air won't happen next year.

Absolutely. Not until the power consumption of a Retina display can be vastly reduced. 15" rMBP has a 95 Watt hour battery. No way that would fit into an MBA.

MacBook Air always was about getting the lightest and tiniest laptop, without too many compromises. With current technology you can't have Retina display, lightest and tiniest laptop, and not too many compromises, all in one package.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Can anyone think of any other company that could warrant these non-stop rumours and new-product speculation?

Nobody but Apple. Apple has all the mindshare of the entire industry. Some people love Apple, and they want to know everything that might happen. Others are haters, and they want to know everything that is going to happen.

Apple has the mindshare, and more importantly, they are sucking all of the profit out of the entire industry. Nobody else even comes close.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Retina Macbook Air will not happen next year. They need to keep the cost down for the Air, since it is the consumer laptop. I think 2014 will be the year.

Even with Haswell, the battery will be drained so quickly. I would take this years 7 hours of battery over a retina with 5 :p

Last edited:

TimothyBe

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
An actual Apple tv won't happen, way to expensive to go mainstream so that it is attractive for big tv companies to join Apple.
I think it will be a apple tv/mac mini. With a price set at $299.
This way most people can afford it and get pulled in the Apple environment.
If they make an actual tv it will be way to expensive for most people making it harder for their product to succeed. so not very plausible I guess

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Here is my take:

- March 2013: iPad Mini with Retina display, update the little Apple TV box, allowing to do accept apps from developers, and some sort of iTunes radio product.

- iPad mini with Retina Display is highly unlikely on a three-month turn-around. Apple does not do 3-month product cycles

- iTunes radio makes sense

- I expect a major refresh to the definition of "Apple TV" in this time frame. Releasing the iPad4/mini in Q4 clears the slate for a TV release in the Spring and an iPad release in the Summer. I expect Apple TV to be an integration into cable provider boxes and satellite TV provider boxes rather than into the TV display itself.

- June 2013: WWDC brings us previews of iOS 7, and OSX, as well as MacBook Airs with Retina displays. Look for Jony Ive's influence over iOS to start showing up here.

- Yes to iOS 7 and OS X 10.9

- MBA will likely not get retina displays since the integrated graphics chip does not handle it well and the drain on battery life will be too much. Look for improved retina MBP models though and end of the non-retina MBPs

- Also look iPad update at WWDC with iPad 5 and iPad mini with retina display (possibly with fingerprint unlock feature). This hast to happen by June to catch the tail end of the K-12 purchasing, the start of university purchasing and to get in front of Apple's back-to-school event.

- September 2013: iPhone 5S, a "modest upgrade" from the iPhone 5. The iPad Mini gets a specs bump, and we get a new iPad, which is totally redesigned to look more like the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

- iPhone 5S with fingerprint unlock feature

- No iPad mini or iPad spec bumps since that will happen in June to get in front of the back-to-school shopping and University purchasing

- iPod Touch refresh will happen as well

- November 2013: An Apple TV comes out. It should cost $1,500-$2,000 and come in sizes from 42-inches to 55-inches

- Apple's movement on the iPad is likely to push the next iPad to the Summer of 2013, so that will leave a gap in the Q1 time frame. I expect Apple to fill this gap with a major revamp of what Apple TV is. I don't know that Apple is really going to produce a 42-inch to 55-inch screen with the functionality built in. The upgrade cycle on a TV is around 7 to 10 years -- Apple would really have to work some magic to make that fit into their product cycles and have it make sense from a profitability perspective. Keep mind that Sharp is struggling to stay in business selling TV's and Sharp would be the most likely supplier for these panels.

- In November, I expect an updated Mac Pro, Retina Thunderbolt Display, and Retina iMac.

----------

Hasn't Gene Munster botched every prediction he's made about Apple?

Just about.

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Some of these seem plausible. Others don't.

A new iPad mini in March? No. Too soon. Yes, I realize they released the iPad 4 6 months later. I don't think that'll be the case here. There will be a lot of unhappy holiday buyers who will feel screwed 3 months later when they get their expensive Christmas gift.

Macbook air with a retina display in June? Yes for the Macbook air. No for the retina display. It would be great if it were IPS at least though.

New iPhones and iPads in September? Sounds right. iPad mini with retina will debut here.

Apple Television in November? No. Not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.