Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Google Now cannot do voice commands or search. That's Google Search, which is linked at the top of the Google Now interface. I don't know why people always get these two confused.

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
As I said, Google Voice is a service, not a feature on a phone...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice

----------

Great. Mind posting a video of it? I am not aware of Google Now being able to send a text or a message just by speaking a contacts name and speaking your message.

Why do you keep bringing up Google Voice? It has nothing to do with Google Search. Google Search is built into Google Now and is what allows you to issue commands.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
As I said, Google Voice is a service, not a feature on a phone...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice

----------

Great. Mind posting a video of it? I am not aware of Google Now being able to send a text or a message just by speaking a contacts name and speaking your message.

I was able to uninstall Voice (Google Voice) and reinstall the Voice (Google Voice app) from the android market. I think that qualifies it as being an app. And why do you want a video? Would someone actually lie about something like that. I'm in a high school gym right now with about 20something kids running around and shooting hoops and playing four square. I was just now able to click on the Google Now magnifying glass and sat "Text Mindy message how is your day going question mark I can't wait to see you this evening period I know you'll look exquisite in that red dress period. And it tyoed it out as I was saying it and looked just like it should. I did have to press the send button.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Why do you keep bringing up Google Voice? It has nothing to do with Google Search. Google Search is built into Google Now and is what allows you to issue commands.

Because someone brought up Google Voice mistakenly saying it could do things it cannot. Maybe they meant Google Voice Search which is completely different.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Thank you. That's what I thought too. I don't use it often, but I remember having done it before.

In fact, Google Search has been able to do this since Gingerbread. Maybe even before that, but I recall seeing a video on Youtube in which this feature was shown in Gingerbread.

----------

Because someone brought up Google Voice mistakenly saying it could do things it cannot. Maybe they meant Google Voice Search which is completely different.

Completely different. This is Google Search:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5nb29nbGVxdWlja3NlYXJjaGJveCJd

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Lots of miscommunication here.

In short: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean can do everything Siri can (and Google Now specifically does more). It's just separate, but not really because you access it all the same way. By either sliding up from the home button or hitting the Google bar.

The sliding up from the home button is so responsive and fast now with 4.2. I love it. I used to never access it that way.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Lots of miscommunication here.

In short: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean can do everything Siri can (and Google Now specifically does more). It's just separate, but not really because you access it all the same way. By either sliding up from the home button or hitting the Google bar.

The sliding up from the home button is so responsive and fast now with 4.2. I love it. I used to never access it that way.

Not sure it can do all that Siri can and i dont know, I can't test it because my S3 is still stuck on ICS :rolleyes: Can it give you location based reminders? Like you can tell it to remind you to take out the trash when you get home and it will remind you when you pull up to your house? Does it know who your mom or dad is? Can it launch apps? Can it make you dinner reservations? Can it rearrange your schedule for you? Thanks

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I love being able to gesture-type when I'm one-handed. It's so interchangeable between thumbing and gesturing. No switches necessary to the keyboard. It's a great feeling.

Gesture Typing, as offered in SWYPE as just one example, is simply terrific.

Going way back to the Galaxy S days, with the first rev of SWYPE I was hooked. The ease of use, combined with mind boggling speed... is something one has to experience for themselves to fully appreciate.

Fast forward to today, and it's gesture based typing that enables me to handle a huge volume of email with ease. Not to mention the incredible experience it provides as implemented in my Nexus 7 tablet.

The positive impact it has had on my work flow is just remarkable. It's an awesome way to get more done.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Not sure it can do all that Siri can and i dont know, I can't test it because my S3 is still stuck on ICS :rolleyes: Can it give you location based reminders? Like you can tell it to remind you to take out the trash when you get home and it will remind you when you pull up to your house? Does it know who your mom or dad is? Can it launch apps? Can it make you dinner reservations? Can it rearrange your schedule for you? Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, it goes one step further. Once it recognizes a pattern in your travels, your routine, your schedule, etc., it apparently alerts you of things happening without you even needing to set it up.

The most common used example is if you have a flight and Google Now knows about it, it'll alert you that there's an accident on the highway that takes you to the airport, and it'll warn you with something like "leave 40 mins earlier due to so and so accident." It's called "Passive mode" I guess: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/08/review-androids-google-now-can-teach-siri-a-few-tricks/3/ EDIT: This review of Google Now is for 4.1. I'm not sure what they added/improved on in 4.2, to be honest.

Not sure about everything else, but I think so. Google it. ;)

I'm not a huge Google Now user, so maybe others who are can chime in more.

Last edited:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Can you expand on what you mean by this?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Gesture Typing, as offered in SWYPE as just one example, is simply terrific.

Going way back to the Galaxy S days, with the first rev of SWYPE I was hooked. The ease of use, combined with mind boggling speed... is something one has to experience for themselves to fully appreciate.

Fast forward to today, and it's gesture based typing that enables me to handle a huge volume of email with ease. Not to mention the incredible experience it provides as implemented in my Nexus 7 tablet.

The positive impact it has had on my work flow is just remarkable. It's an awesome way to get more done.

Yup. I've always said it before, the superior keyboard experience that Android offers translate to so many things: better email experience, better texting experience, better browsing experience when typing in URLs... basically, improving anything that requires typing.

And now, with 4.2, it's even better.

It's frustrating when I go back to my iPad and have to type on there. :T

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, it goes one step further. Once it recognizes a pattern in your travels, your routine, your schedule, etc., it apparently alerts you of things happening without you even needing to set it up.

The most common used example is if you have a flight and Google Now knows about it, it'll alert you that there's an accident on the highway that takes you to the airport, and it'll warn you with something like "leave 40 mins earlier due to so and so accident." It's called "Passive mode" I guess: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/08/review-androids-google-now-can-teach-siri-a-few-tricks/3/ EDIT: This review of Google Now is for 4.1. I'm not sure what they added/improved on in 4.2, to be honest.

In one of the podcasts on Anandtech, Anand mentioned that he had an email in his inbox about his ticket reservations, and on the day of his flight, Google Now pulled up a card reminding him.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Review is slightly outdated... Need to test the GS3 out with Jelly Bean, Google Now, etc. might update it soon.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Google Now cannot do voice commands or search. That's Google Search, which is linked at the top of the Google Now interface. I don't know why people always get these two confused.

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

Yes, this is correct. But people now believe the two services are one in the same (those that have 4.x OS) because Search is integrated into GNow. It's like calling a high pixel density display a "retina" display. ;)

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Here is an example of Google now on 4.1.2. Integration and capabilities have increased in 4.2

Google Now can launch apps, schedule and verify meetings in Calendar, is now integrated with GMail, will auto populate cards by geolocation and/or times, package deliveries auto populate based on email information received, same with movie/concert/plane/train ticket info, plus the usual stuff like traffic and travel times, scores of games, weather and so on.

Google Now has surpassed Siri IMO. But it's not like Siri has been made obsolete. Siri is great to have on iDevices. Unless, you have an ipad2 or iphone 4. Then you are SOL or have to jailbreak.

Here is a nice little example of GNow. Simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen and this is displayed:
yqybabup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yes, this is correct. But people now believe the two services are one in the same (those that have 4.x OS) because Search is integrated into GNow. It's like calling a high pixel density display a "retina" display. ;)

Whatever helps you understand it, man.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's frustrating when I go back to my iPad and have to type on there. :T
My frustration with Apple is founded on the fact that _I really do like_ iOS and OS X, as well as the hardware Apple designs.

So why the frustration? Here's but one example.

Years ago, SWYPE submitted an iPhone specific keyboard app to Apple for approval at the very same time they submitted another for use with Android. It went nowhere.

Had Apple approved it, they would have the same terrific option for keyboard input as Android.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
My frustration with Apple is founded on the fact that _I really do like_ iOS and OS X, as well as the hardware Apple designs.

So why the frustration? Here's but one example.

Years ago, SWYPE submitted an iPhone specific keyboard app to Apple for approval at the very same time they submitted another for use with Android. It went nowhere.

Had Apple approved it, they would have the same terrific option for keyboard input as Android.

Have to agree.

The one thing I wish the Android keyboard did have was a better Shortcut system. Shortcuts should switch automatically, and not just be a suggestion in the suggestion bar.

In other words, if I set a Shortcut for "Btw" = "By the way" that should always, by default, autocorrect to "by the way." The way it is now, Shortcuts only appear in the suggestion bar, and requiring an extra step to tap "by the way" off the bar feels tedious.

That's maybe the only one thing I feel iOS' keyboard does better.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Very true...

actually scheduling appointments was added in recently a little more than a month ago. Didn't require an OS update either, google now is updated in the play store as the app called "google search". Anyone who has access to google now has the updates.

screenshot2012112015391.png

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This thread has basically made me realize how powerful Google Now really is. Might have to start using it more often.

Would Google Now be what it is if Siri didn't come first? Anyone know how long Google Now was in development?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This thread has basically made me realize how powerful Google Now really is. Might have to start using it more often.

Would Google Now be what it is if Siri didn't come first? Anyone know how long Google Now was in development?

It's by far the coolest thing Android's got going on right now.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Today after launching iOS Huffington Post news app, it became completely useless with a very intrusive Samsung Galaxy III ad, I swiped the first time to see what it was about and after trying to close it, it continues to pop up within the App, behaves like an Adware type of annoying malware, very intrusive and ignites some kind of hate, however everywhere I go online or in real life I see ads for this phone and they are really giving it away for almost nothing, certainly people are getting them massively.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Today after launching iOS Huffington Post news app, it became completely useless with a very intrusive Samsung Galaxy III ad, I swiped the first time to see what it was about and after trying to close it, it continues to pop up within the App, behaves like an Adware type of annoying malware, very intrusive and ignites some kind of hate, however everywhere I go online or in real life I see ads for this phone and they are really giving it away for almost nothing, certainly people are getting them massively.

What are you talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.