Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Although the iPad mini may be a toss up because it uses Apple's in-house processor, an MBA with Retina screen won't pop up until Intel releases Haswell (and after it's been on the market). Compared to Ivybridge, it's expected to increase CPU performance by roughly 10% and double GPU performance. Furthermore, TDP is expected to be anywhere between 10-65W for the mobile variants, another boon.

Of course, it's certainly feasible right now to give the MBA a retina screen, but not if you want to greatly sacrifice battery life. Haswell will fix this.

KidSqueek

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Bullcrap. I do believe we'll see a new iPad Mini upgrade next fall along with iPad 5 and iPhone 5s. Judging by the iPad mini design, I'm assuming the iPad 5 will have similar design which I love, by the way.

Knowing the retina madness that apple is getting into, I'm sure the next iPad mini upgrade will indeed have retina display.

I'm just saying.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Apple TV is going to be Insanely Great!

Apple TV could be pretty awesome. Check out this opinion.
Imagine, you can ask Siri to find any show from any network. 500+ Channels.
It's all there, every show in a search-able database in the iCloud.
Then when she finds it and shows it to you, you tell Siri to record only new episodes and skip the Ads (for reruns).

Apple TV is going to be Insanely Great!

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I miss the Jan 2013 MacPro update.

And the Apple TV thing ... I am afraid it's not going to take off or it will be dull effort.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
These 'business insiders' just go on the macrumors forums and read all the 99 speculation threads in the iOS section and then write an article about it so that macrumors can then repost it and all the posters think their speculations are validated.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I suspect this may have been said earlier in this thread, but iPhone 5S in September just doesn't makes sense. iPhone market share is falling fast. Apple can't afford to wait till September for a minor upgrade. 5S better come in March, 6 in October/November.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I predict the following:

• Apple will release an iPad Mini with retina display around March 2013
  • The iPad Mini with retina will not take the place of the iPad Mini without retina - kind of like the iPad 2 and iPad 4 existing together
  • The iPad Mini with retina will cost approximately $50 less than the iPad 4 - similar capabilities, similar price

I just don't see how Apple can go a whole year, or even next summer, without releasing something for consumers to buy.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Bunch of crap if a Retina iPad mini comes out in March. Although I would buy one.

Agreed. A retina mini is *not* going to happen in March (though, I too would buy one, even though I have a mini!). Apple just moved the iPad full sized launch to Autumn to take advantage of the holidays, but also to ensure holiday gifts aren't outdated 3 months later. They won't do this with the mini.

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
I suspect this may have been said earlier in this thread, but iPhone 5S in September just doesn't makes sense. iPhone market share is falling fast. Apple can't afford to wait till September for a minor upgrade. 5S better come in March, 6 in October/November.

This is the funniest thing i've read on here in a while :rolleyes:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Can anyone think of any other company that could warrant these non-stop rumours and new-product speculation?

You mean the speculation regarding consumer products which come from a company with the largest market capitalisation on the planet? Strange, especially since they don't pre-announce every product before availability. It boggles the mind. :rolleyes:

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
No way the MBA is getting a retina display. It's already underpowered trying to drive the pixels it has now.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Because some of us didn't have an iPad and weren't going to buy the backwards lateral known as iPad 3. The 4 is the worthy successor to iPad 2. Next years will be great no doubt, but the 4 will be but a half step behind.

Clearly you have not used both iPad 3 and 4 in the same seating.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
The retina MBA should have been October 2012. June is late in the game, the screen competition has already passed up apple by miles.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
I cant wait for the Apple Television... wont buy it but my $$$ is ready for the 2nd generation build if it comes out swinging

iPhone 5s?! really!?! I have an iphone 4, and i might have to hold onto it until the iphone 6 comes out... i want a new design...not just a slimmer+slightly longer phone

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
No way the MBA is getting a retina display. It's already underpowered trying to drive the pixels it has now.

Plus, there's no way they are going to be able to power the display for 7 hours unless they come up with some amazing new battery technology.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Do not forget the new Mac Pro and Thunderbolt Display, together with wired USB 3 keyboard (hub) and mouse.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
- MBA will likely not get retina displays since the integrated graphics chip does not handle it well and the drain on battery life will be too much.

The integrated graphics chip handles Retina just fine. I'd say Battery life is the biggest concern, the GPU is not.

GadgetDon

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2002
I can't believe no Mac Pro speculation.

For better or worse, the Mac Pro just doesn't have the interest to move stock prices. Apple could announce tomorrow everyone's wish list for the Mac Pro, shipping January 2nd, and it wouldn't cause a blip on the stock price. (Well, if we exclude insanely low price from everyone's wish list.)

All the products he listed, should they happen, could have an impact on the stock price. Most up, an iPhone 5S might push down.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
yep, that's why I bought the iPad4. Mine was the 2 and the improvement is significant. Also who knows exactly when the iPad 5 will come up anyway.

Exactly. And, selling the iPad 4 and buying an iPad 5 won't be much of a wallet hit. Especially if you can unload it about a month before the official iPad 5 announcement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.