Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Bereits gesehen, bereits gesehen, bereits gesehen, bereits gesehen.

deja-vu-apple.jpg

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'd be interested in learning more about how Siri is developed. I mean, where do you even start!?

Isn't it mostly speech-to-text, then natural language processing on that text? Both of these areas have lots of research being done on them. In Siri's case--and I don't know how much has been done on specific applications of these ideas like this--it seems they can also take advantage of the fact that the most common requests will probably revolve around things like making calls, sending texts, creating calendar events, and performing web searches and trying to extract relevant data from that (another type of natural language processing).

Of course, it undoubtedly sounds simpler than it is, but these are all active areas in the field of linguistic and AI research. I think it's pretty neat to tie them all together.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
It sound like a joke. Danish, Finnish, Norwegian. Why not Polish and Russian? If you count all Danish, Finns, Swedes and Norwegians, you will have them as much as or less than Poles.How can you count on boosting markets if you ignore them? Releasing products without major functions causes consumers to turn back and look for alternatives.
Dear Apple, there IS a world outside of old EU, US or China. And this world is full of potential customers. Do not ignore them!
There is no evidence that suggests they aren't working on other languages. They just happen to have open positions for certain languages at the moment.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Intern position, paid, not paid? And they are one of the wealthiest companies on the planet.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, the "looking for interns" bit is interesting. Not only does Apple not want to invest in serious hiring, but also their high prestige project would be expected to be handled by professional translators?!

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Ah that explains why Siri works no better than a college project. It's been knocked together by a motley crew of temporary interns who are just passing through while hoping to be snapped up by Google or someone, and given a proper job. Stop these joke internships... job creators my ass.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
understanding

see, i don't care that siri doesn't speak russian, but i wish it understood me when i name a contact that is in russian... can't use her to call or text my contacts. stupid...

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Google Now works better than Siri

For web searches, I agree, Google Now is better. But I tend to use Siri a lot more for its on command capabilities, like setting alarms, reminders, calendar events, launching apps, etc. It's also a heck of a lot more fun to use.

The biggest problem with Siri is its outages and delays. Apple desperately needs its new data centers to go live ASAP, and they should be looking to build more in other parts of the world if they want to be truly competitive in the services space like email, maps, Siri/search, content hosting and delivery, etc.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
They need to get Siri working totally in English first. Every time I say "Lynn" Siri hears a different word

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Good luck Apple.

Your hardware is amazing.

Your OSes are solid.

Your services suck beyond belief.

I wish you well.

In the mean time - keep making it easier for other services to integrate into your OSes. They do a better job than you do - yes they do.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Apple desperately needs its new data centers to go live ASAP, and they should be looking to build more in other parts of the world if they want to be truly competitive in the services space like email, maps, Siri/search, content hosting and delivery, etc.

I think Siri would be better improved by handling more processing locally, on the device. It could still send it off over the Internet, but only bother waiting for the response if it can't process it locally.

temppa

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
Espoo, Finland
It sound like a joke. Danish, Finnish, Norwegian. Why not Polish and Russian? If you count all Danish, Finns, Swedes and Norwegians, you will have them as much as or less than Poles.How can you count on boosting markets if you ignore them? Releasing products without major functions causes consumers to turn back and look for alternatives.
Dear Apple, there IS a world outside of old EU, US or China. And this world is full of potential customers. Do not ignore them!

I don't know the motivation behind the language decision, but I do know, that all Scandinavian languages are members of the Germanic languages, just like German (you figured it out too?) and English. The order of the words (verb, noun, adjective, etc.) is, if I'm not mistaken, the same. (I speak English and some Swedish as second languages.)

Finnish then. Finnish is dead easy to teach to a machine. Since without the only exception (the letters 'n' and 'g' written after each other) the letters in any given word are ALWAYS spelled out same way. And the only exception is always pronounced the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.