Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's annoying as hell. (I've got a 60mbps connection so not for me :p), but losing connection won't break your console. It downloads it first, then installs. It doesn't install as it downloads. Unless you mean you're so frustrated waiting for the update that you flip out Hulk style and break it. Which I think is covered in the warranty.

Well according to some of the reports on the interwebs it seems that some who interrupted the download once started were left with bricked wii u's.

A few gamers are reporting on forums and Twitter that they busted their Wii Us. These people lost power or their Internet connections during the long update process that enables many of the new console’s major features, and that’s left the HD device as nothing but a paper weight.

This condition is called “bricked,” and it’s something Nintendo can’t fix remotely. Users with this issue will have to send their consoles to the company for repair.

This information comes direct from Nintendo’s customer service department.
“The system files are fragile during the update process,” the customer service agent told me. “If something goes wrong, it will leave the console bricked. You’ll have to send it to us.”

The term “bricked” has been around for a lot longer than the Wii U. This isn’t a new phenomenon. Some claim that the sizable 5GB day-one patch, which takes users 60 minutes to 90 minutes to download and install, increases the potential for something like this to happen. But no evidence suggests this is happening at a greater rate on Nintendo’s new machine than compared to other major hardware platforms.

Still, it is an inconvenience and a terrible first experience to have with a $300 to $350 purchase.

If you’ve experience this issue, you can contact Nintendo to start the repair process by calling 1.888. 229.3770 or online at support.nintendo.com.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/19/b...s-to-nintendo-for-repair/#EO4HMSXujVSJZ5Wp.99

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Well according to some of the reports on the interwebs it seems that some who interrupted the download once started were left with bricked wii u's.

Ten bucks says that the majority of them are impatient individuals who unplugged their console mid-update, a big no-no, no matter what the device.

I can confirm that my connection dropped 2 or 3 times during the update, but I was able to pick up exactly where I left off without having to start over from 0%, so any bricking is definitely not because of a dropped connection.

The guys who got it are probably still waiting to download the 5GB update to access those features..

Seriously Nintendo 5GB? They should have manufactured DVDs with the update on and issued it with every Wii u free of charge so people didn't have to sit through the frustration of new console, can't play syndrome.

Likewise in countries with notably slower broadband infrastructure 5GB on day 1 is an insult.

Add to the fact that if it gets disrupted at any stage (thinking of those here that use mobile broadband dongles) then your new Wii U is banjaxed and has to be sent back to Nintendo.

Packing the update at retail stores to people buying the machine could have avoided that too.

Seriously I find it very very bad form.

Where are you hearing 5GB?

As far as I can tell it's somewhere in the 800MB range.

I still think at some point we will see Nintendo pack up their hardware and start licensing their software IP to other systems. There is much more profit in selling their iconic titles under license and they seem to be struggling on the hardware side as of late.

Nintendo will eventually go the way of Sega business wise, just a matter of time. Sony and MS have other business groups to offset their gaming offerings, Nintendo like Sega does not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U was the last Nintendo console, I can see them keeping their portable market but even that segment is getting a bit convoluted.

It's already been mentioned but Nintendo has so much money they'd have to release three or four failed consoles before they'd throw in the towel.

Heck you would see Sony abandon the videogames race long before you would Nintendo.

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Ten bucks says that the majority of them are impatient individuals who unplugged their console mid-update, a big no-no, no matter what the device.

I can confirm that my connection dropped 2 or 3 times during the update, but I was able to pick up exactly where I left off without having to start over from 0%, so any bricking is definitely not because of a dropped connection

Yeah my connection dropped once during the update but my system is fine.

The first guy to brick his system was a writer for the LA Times who then wrote about it. I don't think it would've been as big a deal otherwise.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Note: Guys who got it how's the miiverse and internet play on this bad boy.

Haven't tried internet play. Miiverse is like a colorful message board social network hybrid. Message boards are divided by game right now and people start threads in there. That Gamepad lets you draw on it so a lot of people are drawing pretty elaborate pictures and posting them too. Popular ones get posted to the lobby screen when you power on the console. You can also post screenshots but I don't know how to do that yet. Some people will post a screenshot directly from a game and a message like, how do I kill this guy, and people will post answers. There's also way to cover up spoilers. Far as the social network part, you can follow posters, post on your page, add them to your friend list, typical stuff. Some games integrate with miiverse too. IE on Mario Brothers U, if you've passed some level that took you 20 tries to get through, you can let the miiverse know.

I honestly don't care for it all that much but that's just me. From the pictures, looks like there're people out there that spend more time drawing on their Gamepad and screwing around in Miiverse than they do gaming.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Haven't tried internet play. Miiverse is like a colorful message board social network hybrid. Message boards are divided by game right now and people start threads in there. That Gamepad lets you draw on it so a lot of people are drawing pretty elaborate pictures and posting them too. Popular ones get posted to the lobby screen when you power on the console. You can also post screenshots but I don't know how to do that yet. Some people will post a screenshot directly from a game and a message like, how do I kill this guy, and people will post answers. There's also way to cover up spoilers. Far as the social network part, you can follow posters, post on your page, add them to your friend list, typical stuff. Some games integrate with miiverse too. IE on Mario Brothers U, if you've passed some level that took you 20 tries to get through, you can let the miiverse know.

I honestly don't care for it all that much but that's just me. From the pictures, looks like there're people out there that spend more time drawing on their Gamepad and screwing around in Miiverse than they do gaming.

Well, I'm betting it won't take long to get covered in crude drawings of penises.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
To whoever saying the Deluxe set "sold out in 5 min", I just walked in to a GameStop and walked out with a Deluxe set and Super Mario Wii U. It was so rare it took me 1 inadvertent try to get.

Quite honestly I was there for Playstation All-Stars but since they had it in and I'm a gadget whore I just bought it and PS All-Stars.

It's not selling out nor does it have the movement behind it like the last Wii, hopefully it keeps my interest more than the last one otherwise I'm sitting on a $359 dust collector :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
To whoever saying the Deluxe set "sold out in 5 min", I just walked in to a GameStop and walked out with a Deluxe set and Super Mario Wii U. It was so rare it took me 1 inadvertent try to get.
p

But did they have them in stock or just the boxes. Often gamestops have boxes for display purposes, and sometimes this is not indicative of stock levels.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
But did they have them in stock or just the boxes. Often gamestops have boxes for display purposes, and sometimes this is not indicative of stock levels.

I bought one with Super Mario U, the box feels heavy so I'll assume its in there lol. They had 6 Deluxe sitting behind the counter and 10 or so white ones.

I'll hook it up once I get home from work :p

OT: I bought Persona 4 Golden for Vita and Playstation All-Stars too, did you pick that MRU?

Attachments

• IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought one with Super Mario U, the box feels heavy so I'll assume its in there lol. They had 6 Deluxe sitting behind the counter and 10 or so white ones.

I'll hook it up once I get home from work :p

OT: I bought Persona 4 Golden for Vita and Playstation All-Stars too, did you pick that MRU?

Lol.. You're as bad as me :p. Wii-Resistance Is Futile!!!

Yep my copy of Persona still hasn't arrived, but should be here any day now, and yep I've got All Stars on pre-order for PS3 (just so I can get it free on the Vita :) )

Antares

macrumors 68000
I think once Nintendo fixes the annoyingly long menu load time, the Wii U could just be the near-perfect game system. I haven't had this much fun with a game console since the 90's. The controller is brilliant and I can't wait to see how future games use it. I just wish it could play Blu-ray Discs. I also wish the hard drive was user upgradeable like the PS3. I'd prefer not to have to connect an external Hard drive once/if I run out of space.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I think the Wii U may be more disruptive than first thought. As I play more, definitely see how some of their ideas could come together (emphasis on "could"--no guarentees). My impression is that once their TVii thing is up and running, it will become more of a digital media hub than people have previously thought of.

That said, Nintendo has an annoying habit of "going their own way," and giving the consumer most of what they want, but then adding a bit of their own ideas about what they think you need. In Apple's case, it works like magic, but in Nintendo's case, it never seems to work 100%.

The examples I am thinking of are releasing the Wii (and the Gamecube, for that matter) with optical discs, but not including a capability to play DVD's...and oh yeah, I keep forgetting...the Wii had the coolest name as a prototype (the "Revolution") but then they came up with the Wii name. My wife still chuckles to this date (over 6 years on) about me "playing with my Wii."

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

Yes, because all consoles EXCEPT the Wii U have had great launch titles, apps, and flawless network services that really show the full potential of the system from day 1 right? :rolleyes:

The Wii U has its flaws, but it also has a list of great things that have enormous potential if utilized correctly.

We're likely to see it show its true colors after the launch window closes, right now its early adopters and hardcore Nintendo fans. It's launching like any other console does, the Wii launch was the exception to the rule, an anomaly, not how every launch really goes.

Though it makes me chuckle a bit that the industries little darling from last gen is getting dragged through the mud a bit now :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.