Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Earlier today I was browsing through my settings and for some odd reason I went under Cellular and turn the FaceTime over Cellular to ON, it said to contact AT&T to have this feature enabled, I was not surprised because I was used to that. I pressed the ok button and a few seconds later the setting went from off to on.

Out of curiosity I FaceTimed my friend and the call went through.

I remember reading last week that AT&T was going to allow this but that it would take 8-10 weeks, so I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this? I still have my same 3GB LTE ($30) data plan.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
Earlier today I was browsing through my settings and for some odd reason I went under Cellular and turn the FaceTime over Cellular to ON, it said to contact AT&T to have this feature enabled, I was not surprised because I was used to that. I pressed the ok button and a few seconds later the setting went from off to on.

Out of curiosity I FaceTimed my friend and the call went through.

I remember reading last week that AT&T was going to allow this but that it would take 8-10 weeks, so I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this? I still have my same 3GB LTE ($30) data plan.

Where did you have the option to press the "okay" button? I don't see such option. Either "call" or "go to website" or "cancel" are my options.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Seriously! What the hell is the point of "unlimited" if you can't use it? Greedy.

Tell me about it.
They're restricting many features to try to get grandfathered users to switch away into tired plans.
I dont see how and why they are allowed to do that.
Figures us that were loyal and around since 2007 with the original iphone data plans are getting worst treatment for that.
Our money is not good enough for facetime over carrier data but Verizon and Sprint allows it on all plans.
How is this any part of net neutrality and fair treatment?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Tell me about it.
They're restricting many features to try to get grandfathered users to switch away into tired plans.
I dont see how and why they are allowed to do that.
Figures us that were loyal and around since 2007 with the original iphone data plans are getting worst treatment for that.
Our money is not good enough for facetime over carrier data but Verizon and Sprint allows it on all plans.
How is this any part of net neutrality and fair treatment?

I think that AT+T should just eliminate unlimited for everyone so they can start treating all contracts the same (i.e. stop offering grandfathered unlimited as an option when renewing a contract). It's going to happen sooner or later.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I think that AT+T should just eliminate unlimited for everyone so they can start treating all contracts the same (i.e. stop offering grandfathered unlimited as an option when renewing a contract). It's going to happen sooner or later.

I dont know if they want to piss off millions of customers and if that will leave a loophole for all those grandfathered users to get out of contract free with no ETF and possibly switch to another carrier.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Yes.
Days ago they announced that they will allow it on all tired data plans but NOT the unlimited iPhone data plan.
Thanks a lot AT&T :rolleyes:

I read that article, it's just that it said 8-10 weeks and it seems to be working now, so I was curious.

Where did you have the option to press the "okay" button? I don't see such option. Either "call" or "go to website" or "cancel" are my options.

The option I clicked was cancel, but still, FaceTime over cellular is still ON for me and my data plan hasn't changed.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
I read that article, it's just that it said 8-10 weeks and it seems to be working now, so I was curious.

The option I clicked was cancel, but still, FaceTime over cellular is still ON for me and my data plan hasn't changed.

Thanks, when I tap on cancel it just toggles the on back to off. I had also read the article back when they announced it. Every once in a awhile I check it to see if it will turn on and still nothing. Like you, I figured it would take awhile for the changes to populate. I'm not on an unlimited plan anymore either so guess at some point it will work or I'll just have to call and have the changes forced onto my account.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I dont know if they want to piss off millions of customers and if that will leave a loophole for all those grandfathered users to get out of contract free with no ETF and possibly switch to another carrier.

The games they are playing with contracts are all ready pissing off people :D. There will be no loophole if they just don't allow people to to renew their unlimited contract when their current one expires. They will lose people when their contract expires but people will not not be able to get out of their current contract for free.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
What is sad is that people who are on an individual account cannot use this feature on a non LTE phone.

I have a 4S and should be able to do this just fine, but AT&T says since I am on an individual account, I cannot do this unless I am on a family share plan or have an LTE phone. I have no need for a family share plan it is just me and I am not eligible for a new phone at this time. Meanwhile my friends who are on a family share plan who each have a 4S can FaceTime all they want. So I know the phones can handle it just fine over their network, AT&T is just being greedy. It is not a feature I need or will make it or break it for me with AT&T, but the occasional FaceTime call over cellular would be nice to do when my daughter and I want to talk.

Edit: And I do not have an unlimited plan either, I have a 5GB plan with the hotspot, It would be nice to be able to use that data however I want.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Huh!

Out of curiosity i just went to my settings. Its ON for me! I have ft over cellular! Just tried it, works great!

Now heres the thing...im on unlimited! Not sure whats going on but for some reason i now have facetime! Loving this.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Huh!

Out of curiosity i just went to my settings. Its ON for me! I have ft over cellular! Just tried it, works great!

Now heres the thing...im on unlimited! Not sure whats going on but for some reason i now have facetime! Loving this.

how's the quality on LTE? You facetime'd from iPhone 5 to iPhone 5?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
how's the quality on LTE? You facetime'd from iPhone 5 to iPhone 5?

Just did a brief test to my work phone which is a 4S. Now at work so cant do more research. Here are two screenshots (was overseas last 2 weeks, sent a few roaming texts and is also why data so low):

30iyxix.png

rlwbns.png

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Huh!

Still not working for me. How are you reached by FaceTime? iPhone number or email or both? I'm wondering if that's a factor in allowing you to FT over cellular on unlimited.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Still not working for me. How are you reached by FaceTime? iPhone number or email or both? I'm wondering if that's a factor in allowing you to FT over cellular on unlimited.

Both, but never worked before. Hopefully this lasts.

Sid-R

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2010
Works only on Shared Mobile plans

Spoke to AT&T peeps... "Works only on Shared Mobile plans and not on individual plans.. just like wireless hotspot" :mad:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
That's weird.
Did you restored from a previous JB backup that had facebreak or 3Gunrestrictor or my3G installed and carried over to the new phones ios?

Nope

The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to 6.0.1 while overseas. After that, Facetime over cellular was selected. However when I got back to the US, it was off with the same pop-up as ever. Fast forward a week later, its selected again. No idea why.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Nope

The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to 6.0.1 while overseas. After that, Facetime over cellular was selected. However when I got back to the US, it was off with the same pop-up as ever. Fast forward a week later, its selected again. No idea why.

Sweet.
I think that's the reason it turned on and stayed on cause of the overseas usage.
Now we all just gotta take a short trip out of the US to get that feature enabled:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.