Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
hahahaah - Population of 5.4 million area=338km sq Population of USA=312 million over an area of 9,827,000km sq

I think it to be much harder to cover the needs of 6000% more people and 29000 times more square area to cover.

Put it in perspective and you'll see why NOK is only a $3 stock and AAPL is $560+

What is your problem? Navteq is an U.S. company. Their operations are in USA. Nokia bought it few years ago. I have not promoted Nokia Maps. I have said that I want Google to hurry up and bring us good mapping app.

Jaffaman27

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I can't really comment on this app, but my experience with Nokia maps is quite great. At least for my usage.

- The most important in maps for me is that the roads are there (up to date, even the small ones). So I know where I'm going and I'll find my destination. In other words Navigation. In this, I have had 100% success with Nokia maps in real life usage. And Lumia/Symbian offers the best solution for this (at least outside US). Sorry Japanese users, for some reason Nokia maps is lacking there. Use something else, simple.

* EDIT: my real life usage scenario covers around europe travelling with a car + some parts in Asia. Not in USA or all the possible corners in the world. :)

- Satellite imagery in Nokia has always been lacking (old or non existent). But it's quite rare I need to look maps for pretty pictures. If I find myself in that situation Google Maps is the go to solution for that.

- Points of interest to me is irrelevant. I'll find my points of interest on the road. :) But this is something google apparently does great, and nokia and apple surely will do better when people use and review the places etc.

* EDIT2: The only necessary POI is gas stations and those are quite well covered in nokia maps in my experience.

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Worst pinch-to-zoom action I've seen in a long while. Is it some kind of patent dodge?

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
In my neighborhood there is a private driveway that Apple Maps thinks is a road that connects to a major highway. It doesn't. It's literally someone's driveway, and even though I've reported it several times, they haven't done anything about it.

This was the first thing I wanted to check out on HERE Maps. Interestingly, HERE does show it as a road, but upon asking for directions it does not navigate me to it whereas Apple Maps always tells me to use it to get out of my neighborhood.

Both Google and Bing correctly do not show that driveway as part of the road at all.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Meh! Apple's iOS 5 Maps app (Google data) is still the best mapping solution on iOS. Hopefully, Google's forthcoming Maps app will become the champ, causing millions of iOS 6 users to stop using Apple's iOS 6 Maps app, and maybe that will shake some sense into Apple.

It was a MISTAKE for Apple to not come to terms with Google on continuing to use Google's map data for the iOS 6 (and beyond).

Mark

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I just tried it out and agree with others: map resolution is poor and the data is quite dated. I asked for directions to get me home and it wanted to take me down back roads and then the wrong way down a one-way street. Nice try, though.

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Google maps iOS 5.1 iPhone 4
photopl.png

Nokia maps iOS6.0.1 iPhone 5
photo1ct.png

iMaps iOS 6.0.1 iPhone 5
photo2jk.png

The quality is more than obvious in iMaps

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
What a heap o' crap. Resolution is terrible and the mapping features are extremely limited. To think I actually was looking to see what Nokia had to offer, the software at this point is about as good as their hardware.
I would rather use the safari bookmarked google maps over this.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
i think this app is terrible. the only thing this does that i need, that the apple maps don't, is show me the subway lines. but it won't show the stop name...

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
Well...the only reason I tried this out is for public transit directions. It doesn't personally affect me (I have an Android phone) but I know a few people who felt hoodwinked when they upgraded to iOS6 because Apple Maps has absolutely zero public-transit features, something they rely on every single day in the city.

So I did a test...how to get to the De Young Museum from my friend's apartment.

Google Maps (Android version): Gave me an "interesting" route, but it's probably the one I would actually take. First it tells me to walk nine blocks, then get on the '5' that goes to the park. The nice thing about Google though, is that it lets me choose from three alternate routes besides the main one. So if I don't want to walk that far, it gives me a choice of an alternate route including a closer initial bus.

Nokia HERE: Gave me a very conservative route. I guess Nokia doesn't like walking, because they had me walk just one block to take the '47' down to the same place to catch the '5' that Google had mentioned (interestingly enough, this was NOT one of the four routes that Google had picked!). The bad news is that you can't select any other routes.

Apple Maps: Supreme fail: it didn't give me anything. There is actually a button in the app for public transit, but all it does is take you to a listing for other apps!! Wow.

So, Nokia HERE is technically better than nothing, but I think most iOS6 users are going to look right past this to the new iOS Google Maps coming over the horizon.

HERE is also quite ugly (low res everything on my iPad, bland colors), and the zooming is terrible--you can't zoom and move the view, which might not sound like much, but after Google and Apple maps you really expect it.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Nokia's map entry is terrible after playing with it for a few minutes, but it potentially does public transit better than many other apps I've tried. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where public transit is fairly extensive and I use it frequently. I had HERE plan some of my common public transit routes and it worked fine. Some other apps had issues such as telling me walk one block to take a bus in order to get to a subway/rail station a few miles away when I could have easily walk an extra half block to get to a station.

RoadOfMajor

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Wow, it's actually pretty decent. At least here in Vancouver, Canada.

You guys are missing the biggest feature of all: it works offline without any data connection. Neither Apple or Google offers this. So now I can travel outside of my service zone and not pay a hundred dollars for 3G bills.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Maps are blurry. Almost as if they're images always being displayed "zoomed in".

Geez, you'd think Nokia could do better. This is just sad.

Obviously they just rushed it out after Apple Maps started hitting the news for not being so great. And it shows, because it's just as bad.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
This is hillarious!:

Man, Googles imagery looks so crisp and beautiful. Why can't Apple get Satellite images like that? Have Google got some kind of exclusive contract with the best aerial/satellite imagery providers?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The privacy policy is a little weird - they don't sell your information but can engage in 'joint marketing'. Also all bets regarding privacy are off if Nokia are merged, reorganized or acquired.

Anyways, where I am the maps are already showing errors (most importantly, the local health centre is shown where it was years ago, but it has moved since. Also, my street is depicted as going through a row of houses). I think HERE is just as inaccurate as iOS maps.....

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
This app, which is slow and not useable, shows off a major flaw of Apple Maps, and even the great Google Maps: NO +/- KEY!

I need TWO hands to zoom out, instead of a simple click on the Minus sign as on the excellent MotionX GPS and Waze - both with single handed operation. Google web maps does this but of course super slow.....

Google, when you do come back, please give us a MINUS key!

I hate the +/- keys. Adds that much more clutter to an small enough real estate. Apple did it right.

Sony311

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
I dont think google dropped the ball. They took their time thinking Apple would never approve it. But proof that Nokia maps got in could just be the turbo fuel Google now has as proof that their efforts would not be in vain.

If anything - Apple Really dropped the ball on the maps app.

Google dropped the ball big time, excuse after excuse while Nokia just got their heads down and got the job done. Well done Nokia.

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Pr

The Nokia maps is Apple PR - to make maps look good :D

Honestly: I prefer Google maps, but Apple's is not that bad. Still I don't understand why they didn't leave it in iOS6 for one more year.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
While Nokia's HERE app is quite ugly and a lot are lambasting it for this reason, if Apple had put out this app out we would have heard all sorts of excuses for it; "it's just the first version", "give them time", etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.