Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
jeez...seems today everybody can make money on making wild guesses without actually analyzing anything:

1. The screen of the mini was a complete new design and Apple probably put an huge order down - they won't spent the money on R&D and manufacturing so soon after
  2. A mini sized retina screen would have an even higher DPI count then the retina display on the 10" iPad - wouldn't this make it "superior"? How could Apple even justify selling it cheaper then?
  3. Right now high DPI screens draw too much power - they won't be put into a MacBook Air. When you really think about it the only difference between the 13" MBP and the 13" Air are the ports and the battery and now the Display. The ULV dual core chips of the Air are pretty much comparabe to the 35W dual core chips of the MBP
  4. There won't be an increase in the release cadence. Apple just wanted to finall switch times to get the iPad fresh into the holiday season. Most people buy the iPhone on contract so they really don't care about the time of the year. Besides Apple probably want to introduce a new A series chip with the iPhone and then an iPad optimized chip earlier. It has failed misserably when it first introduced a new chip with the iPad first (1st Gen, 3rd Gen) and then an actually better chip a few months later

Just my 2 cents

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I speculate Apple will spin off the computer biz in 2013.
Woz will be the CEO and unveil a complete line of affordable,
fully customizable, bto computers and ACDs that are updated regularly.
Magic.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
"Munster has been one of the most vocal proponents of an Apple television set with multiple claims that Apple is indeed working on such a device. "

Oh that makes him relevant then!

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
The retina MBA should have been October 2012. June is late in the game, the screen competition has already passed up apple by miles.

I think they needed/need Haswell to lessen the blow on battery life. Although many beg to differ, I believe there will be rMBAs in 2013.

adamryan1983

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
I currently have the 3rd generation iPad and see no reason to upgrade it any time soon. Also I just purchased an iPhone 5, coming from an iPhone 4 which I gave to my wife. Lastly, I am looking to purchase an Apple TV in the near future. Apple technology right now is at a point where I am quite pleased with what I have, but I fear they will come out with something in the near future that will make me yearn for an upgrade lol

I also predict a retina iPad mini in late 2013 with some spec bumped iPhones and iPad 5th generation.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I do think that a mini with retina will be announced in late March and shipped in April. It will have the $329 price point and feature an A6. The current mini will be retained and priced at $249 or $279. I have from the outset felt that the $329 price point was a placeholder for the retina mini. Apple knew they would sell all that they could produce at this price for the holidays, but a boost will be needed in calendar Q2.

mojothemonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
Slow news/rumors day for Macrumors between 2009-2012? Never fear! Just throw together a factless article about "possible" Apple TV product. It has never failed before!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm looking at a iPad Mini but if the retina version might be out in a few months I might hold off and either get the upgrade or the original at a cheaper price, like the iPad2.

AppleTV given the prices of some now I'm not sure if I'd drop that kinda money on a TV, yes I know it will be much more.

iPhone5s again I've been looking at upgrading for the last year, 5 or 5s will depend on how different they are. Apple might want to upgrade sooner to keep in pace with Samsung and Nokia.

MacBook Air I can see Apple dropping the original MBP over the next year or so, currently it's only advantage is price and built in DVD. Once they get retina down to a similar price the only Mac with built in DVD could be the MacPro desktop.

It would be kinda ironic if the AppleTV including built in BluRay, but I doubt that will happen.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Apple doesn't need to start chasing Samsung. Samsung may release updated phones quicker, but that is why they have yet to become refined as the iPhone.

I believe smart-phones, like computers, have reached the level where the fastest/greatest chips do not convey much more benefit to the average consumer. Samsung can release spec-bump after spec-bump, but it is still going to be the same sucky overall experience.

Until the "next big thing," Apple is going to innovate on the user experience, UI, and how multiple devices can integrate with each other. As another example, look at the newest Galaxy Nexus tablet. It specs out ahead of the iPad4, but there still are hardly any good apps and the OS is flaky.

Just saw this Verge article too--the battle is all about the "ecosystem" right now: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/20/3669590/ecosystem-microsoft-apple-google-facebook-cold-war

Last edited:

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
"Munster has been one of the most vocal proponents of an Apple television set with multiple claims that Apple is indeed working on such a device. "

Oh that makes him relevant then!

Exactly. He makes this claim time and time again and he's ALWAYS wrong about it.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It will be interesting to see if they start moving the annual refresh cycle around any further or whether they go back to their original schedule of iPad in March, iPhone in June and iPod & iPad mini in Sept. If they do I hope they change the policy of putting the latest processor in the iPhone first and instead start putting it in the iPad first, otherwise come Christmas every year the iPad is going to be overtaken by all the competitors.

Maybe they should change everything and release new Macs in the first half of the year and new iOS devices in the second half of the year.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
$1,500 would be ridiculously expensive, relative to sets on the market even today.

That would be around £1130 including tax, and when you can get a nice 42" set for half that price I can't imagine what the Apple TV could do that would convince me to spend so much more.

Yeah but it would have a $99 AppleTV built-in :eek: :rolleyes:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
My predictions:

-Retina MBAs in ~Q3 2014 with Broadwell.
They can't release it so soon as current IPS panels require too much backlight power and battery life would suffer in a form factor like the Air's. Also, Apple likes their margins high and hiking up the price of their entry-level laptop would be a bad move.

-No Apple TV hardware upgrade anytime soon.
Apple are still producing loads of 32nm A5 chips and the Apple TV is still a great way to get rid of A5 chips with a disabled core (a core that didn't pass QA while the other one is fine). No new major software feature either. There would be no huge benefit for the end user to upgrade to A6. I think a new Apple TV is in the work, but Apple must first negotiate with content providers and secure loads of new content before they introduce a new Apple TV with new hardware, new OS, way more content and functionality and possibly a focus on apps/gaming. Until then the Apple TV will remain a "hobby" with limited capabilities.

-Software announcements in Q1 2013
OS X 10.9. New iWork suite. New iTunes / iCloud features.

-Mac Pro upgrade in ~Q2 2013 with Ivy-Bridge-E 22nn Xeons
Up to 24 cores, Thunderbolt and USB 3 support.

-Updated Thunderbolt Display in ~Q2 2013 alongside new Mac Pro
Thinner design. Laminated display like in the new iMacs. Still the same panel. USB 3 and MagSafe 2. Marketed alongside the new Mac Pro in promotional material. Yields of laminated displays will have improved by then.

-Updated Mac notebooks in ~Q3 2013 with Haswell.
cMBPs are discontinued. $50-100 price drop on MBAs. Baseline 13" rMBP now comes with 256GB storage. Still no discrete graphics. Possible 35W quad-core CPU. 15" rMBP gets GT750M or AMD equivalent. Price of flash storage BTO options reduced but not dramatically. 802.11ac Wi-Fi across the line. No redesign.

-Updated AirPort Express/Extreme released with new MacBooks
Same design and price. 802.11ac support.

-New iOS devices in Q3 2013
iPhone 5S with A7 SoC and better camera. iPad 5 with A7X, thinner design, iPad-mini look and colors. iPad mini with A6 SoC, still no Retina. No iPod redesign, possible minor price cut. 802.11ac support on all iOS devices. Impressive iOS 7.

-New iMac / Mac mini in Q4 2013
Spec bump only. Haswell and updated GPUs. No redesign or new major feature. 802.11ac.

-Possible surprise in 2013
Apple may surprise us with a brand new product in 2013 but I don't think it will be an all-in-one Apple TV. Might be a new portable device using the new 10W intel chips.

-Retina iPad mini in 2014
At that point all Apple products will be Retina. Retina graphics is a requirement to submit any app to the App Stores.

Last edited:

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
MacPro 2013?

What about the New MacPro2013 that Tim Cook hinted about?

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

BusinessInsider relays a report from analyst Gene Munster. Munster has been one of the most vocal proponents of an Apple television set with multiple claims that Apple is indeed working on such a device.

In the latest report, Munster pushes back his own predictions for the delivery of an Apple television set to November 2013. This comes shortly after flip flopping claims that the Apple television is not launching imminently.

Business Insider outlines Munster's other predictions for Apple releases in 2013.We see these predictions as simply educated guessing on Munster's part, and don't place much faith into the specifics, but it does serve as an interesting discussion for what Apple might offer in 2013.

Article Link: Apple Television, iPad Mini, MacBook Air Speculation for 2013

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Retina displays won't be arriving on the MacBook Air's any time soon. It's one of the core features that separates a MBA from a MBP, thus justifying the latter. Plus, it would greatly affect the MBA battery life and that would require either largening the batteries or introducing new technologies.

'Analysts' get paid to predict things when half the time they don't even think them through.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
- March 2013: iPhone 5S comes out
- June 2013: WWDC brings us previews of iOS 7, and OSX, as well as MacBook Airs with Retina displays. Look for Jony Ive's influence over iOS to start showing up here.
- September 2013: iPad Mini w/retina display & updated iPads

Spring = iPhone release dates from now on.
Fall = iPad release dates from now on.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
People drop perfectly good current devices for new perfectly good devices all the time. I dropped my perfectly good Macbook Pro for one with a retina display. I don't think it's that outrageous that if Apple makes a compelling product, people will buy it.

Upgrading and replacing hardware seems normal for geeks and nerds. Not so much for regular people, who only replace things when their current one stops working. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to waste every year, not to mention the whole ecological footprint of such behavior.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Not if they sell both Retina and non-Retina concurrently, as they do with the full-size iPad...

Apple would be in danger of being back where it was when Job took over again. Paring down the product lines is what brought Steve back. Carrying 4 different iPads with 12 different permutations is a lot of inventory to have to keep on hand.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I wouldn't say that but it's certainly not going to happen for the 5s. Maybe with the iPhone 6. I hope so.

I hope so too, the current size still doesn't compare to the competition. We that want a larger screen on an iPhone sound like the crowd that was waiting 4 years plus for the iPhone to not be exclusive to AT&T.

GadgetDon

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2002
-No Apple TV hardware upgrade anytime soon.
Apple are still producing loads of 32nm A5 chips and the Apple TV is still a great way to get rid of A5 chips with a disabled core (a core that didn't pass QA while the other one is fine). There would be no huge benefit for the end user to upgrade to A6.

That's assuming that the Apple TV just does what it does now. But for the most obvious choice, imagine an AppleTV with apps - given the creativity shown by developers, they'll find some use out of A6 speed.

And that's assuming they don't up the functionality. Imagine an ATV with HDMI input for DVR functionality, or Cable Card for powerful connectivity. (Or, they make a deal with one cable company to roll out something like AllVid.)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
That makes no sense. Millions of tv's, computers, speakers are sold every year. For every one that just bought a big screen this year, another wants to upgrade his 5y old set or wants another for the basement, gym, cabin, bedroom, or whatever. You make it sound like people only bought flat screens 3years ago and everybody did it at the same time, so no one is looking anymore.

I'm not saying that nobody is looking, I'm just saying that a large-screen TV is one of those items that people buy very seldomly. Every 5-10 years, maybe. For a company to just now get into the TV-making business, it's going to take years for them to establish any kind of foothold in the market because for every person like me who's in the market, there are probably a dozen people like you who already have a TV and don't intend to buy one for a few years yet.

Then you add the fact that TVs come in all different price points from super cheap to super high end, and there are dozens of good brands to choose from. How many TVs would Apple move? Not many.

As for "people bought 3 years ago", well, roughly around that time, many of my friends still had CRT TVs so it was much easier to push them to buy a new LCD TV. "C'mon, your TV's getting old anyway". Even though the CRT was still perfectly good, they could easily be convinced to buy a new set. Now that all of these people have a nice flat LED/LCD/plasma, it's not going to be as easy to say "C'mon, sell that thing and get the new Apple one".

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That's assuming that the Apple TV just does what it does now. But for the most obvious choice, imagine an AppleTV with apps - given the creativity shown by developers, they'll find some use out of A6 speed.

And that's assuming they don't up the functionality. Imagine an ATV with HDMI input for DVR functionality, or Cable Card for powerful connectivity. (Or, they make a deal with one cable company to roll out something like AllVid.)

That's exactly what I assumed. I don't think the Apple TV will get any major new feature in 2013. I think Apple will finish negotiating with content providers first, and then release a massive update with revamped hardware, new OS, possible new DVR/input capabilities (I doubt that one though), way more content, apps etc. I don't think it will be gradual and I think the Apple TV will remain a "hobby" with limited capabilities until a real replacement that's better in every possible aspect comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.