Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
I tried to insert my ATT nano sim with unlimited data into my Verizon Ipad mini but I cant get any signal or service. The ATT 4G signal will show for a few seconds then it will disappear and will show No service. My t-mobile nano sim works fine with Edge signal. Maybe Att is now blocking ipad minis from verizon. Anyone has same experience?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I tried to insert my ATT nano sim with unlimited data into my Verizon Ipad mini but I cant get any signal or service. The ATT 4G signal will show for a few seconds then it will disappear and will show No service. My t-mobile nano sim works fine with Edge signal. Maybe Att is now blocking ipad minis from verizon. Anyone has same experience?

You need to update your APN settings.

Unlockit.co.nz

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
I was reading somewhere about verizon update for carrier.try a restore without verizon update over the air
I have verizon model but only used verizon sim.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Could it be a weak signal issue? I did the exact same thing and it worked fine. I selected the AT&T HSPA+ apn profile, which one did you select?

Yeah hspa+ apn profile. I hope my mini is not defective.I have full bars of Att in my area so signal shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited:

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
It workin now. Only a glitch.

Curious as to how you got yours working. I had the same issue and even after updating the APN it would not connect.

What's weird is that I stopped messing with it and then a day later is started working. The only thing I know for sure that happened in that period is that my son ran the battery completely down and when I plugged it in, it restarted

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Why wouldn't you guys want an AT&T iPad to take advantage of the speed? I understand its no available everywhere but in 1 year AT&T should have most the US major cities covered.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Why wouldn't you guys want an AT&T iPad to take advantage of the speed? I understand its no available everywhere but in 1 year AT&T should have most the US major cities covered.

I wanted the ability to Tether and with Verizons Data Plans they include mobile hotspot. AT&T only includes it if you are on the $50 plan. I also wanted to try the Tmobile prepaid plans, they have a $35 / 3.5GB / 60 Day plan that looks like it would be great once their 1900 rollout is done. Testing tmobile where they do have 1900 coverage is very fast.

So basically with Verizon I get to choose between multiple carriers; Verizon if I need Fast LTE with tethering, AT&T if I want to use my own iPad sim or iPhone sim (if I'm being really cheap about it :) or TMobile.

Also, since I already have an AT&T iPhone and iPad sim, I thought it would be good to get Verizon for some additional coverage.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Who promised you that?
And next year i will have ipad mini ii

I'm only asking because the OP has AT&T Unlimited data plan which works on LTE as well for unlimited usage - read much?

Thread Title:
AT&T iPad sim with Unlimited data to Verizon iPad Mini No Signal

If you have Unlimited through AT&T shouldn't you be using an AT&T iPad - That's what I'm asking :confused:

----------

I wanted the ability to Tether and with Verizons Data Plans they include mobile hotspot. AT&T only includes it if you are on the $50 plan. I also wanted to try the Tmobile prepaid plans, they have a $35 / 3.5GB / 60 Day plan that looks like it would be great once their 1900 rollout is done. Testing tmobile where they do have 1900 coverage is very fast.

So basically with Verizon I get to choose between multiple carriers; Verizon if I need Fast LTE with tethering, AT&T if I want to use my own iPad sim or iPhone sim (if I'm being really cheap about it :) or TMobile.

Also, since I already have an AT&T iPhone and iPad sim, I thought it would be good to get Verizon for some additional coverage.

I agree with you on having mismatching carriers for max coverage but I was referring to the OP who wants to use his AT&T Sim card on a Verizon iPad - which makes no sense as AT&T and verizon uses different frequencies so he'll be missing out on LTE (whenever available).

I have both LTE Verizon iPhone 5 and LTE AT&T iPad - max coverage ftw :)

Lucyhampton

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
I have a AT&T iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited data. I just got my mini ipad yesterday AT&T and I tried to put the sim of my iphone but would not work. Please help.

----------

I was wondering if I need to activate the ipad mini sim that came with the unit then do the swap?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Who promised you that?
And next year i will have ipad mini ii

Here in San Francisco (and most of the Bay Area) seeing 20-40 mbps... even faster than my cable modem. LOVE having the iPad on my Mobile Share plan, for ten bucks a month it blows away tethering. I have native GPS, don't have to worry about draining the iPhone 5 battery nor dealing with tethering on and off, and it costs me the price of two cups of coffee (at SBUX) per month.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
I'm only asking because the OP has AT&T Unlimited data plan which works on LTE as well for unlimited usage - read much?

Thread Title:
AT&T iPad sim with Unlimited data to Verizon iPad Mini No Signal

If you have Unlimited through AT&T shouldn't you be using an AT&T iPad - That's what I'm asking :confused:

----------

I agree with you on having mismatching carriers for max coverage but I was referring to the OP who wants to use his AT&T Sim card on a Verizon iPad - which makes no sense as AT&T and verizon uses different frequencies so he'll be missing out on LTE (whenever available).

I have both LTE Verizon iPhone 5 and LTE AT&T iPad - max coverage ftw :)

Im just testing my att sim and will only use it occasionally on my vzw ipad mini.

----------

I have a AT&T iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited data. I just got my mini ipad yesterday AT&T and I tried to put the sim of my iphone but would not work. Please help.

----------

I was wondering if I need to activate the ipad mini sim that came with the unit then do the swap?

On your safari ipad mini, go to unlockit.co.nz and install at&t hspa+ profile. Thats it. You will get att 4g signal after that.

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Here in San Francisco (and most of the Bay Area) seeing 20-40 mbps... even faster than my cable modem. LOVE having the iPad on my Mobile Share plan, for ten bucks a month it blows away tethering. I have native GPS, don't have to worry about draining the iPhone 5 battery nor dealing with tethering on and off, and it costs me the price of two cups of coffee (at SBUX) per month.

Is that speed on Verizon or AT&T?

Lucyhampton

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Im just testing my att sim and will only use it occasionally on my vzw ipad mini.

----------

On your safari ipad mini, go to unlockit.co.nz and install at&t hspa+ profile. Thats it. You will get att 4g signal after that.

My iPhone 5 SIM card now works with my ipad mini. However, when LTE is turned on in the settings of the ipad mini, the data connection is lost overall. When LTE is turned off, it re-connects to 4G only. I am guessing that the APN setting choice on the unlockit.co.nz for AT&T-hspa+ is not yet updated to read LTE signal. Btw, i was on an LTE spot when i did this. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Thats normal. Using an att sim on a verizon mini will only give you 4G signal because the vzw mini has different LTE frequency with regards to att LTE.

Lucyhampton

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
But I'm using an AT&T iPhone sim that goes to my AT&T ipad mini. Having said that, the sim shows lte on the iPhone but when moved to AT&T ipad mini Lte would not show, only 4G. In other words, both my iphone & ipad mini are AT&T. I do not have verizon equipment. That is why I am thinkng that the APN choice on unlockit.co.nz for AT&T +hspa is not updated to include LTE. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
But I'm using an AT&T iPhone sim that goes to my AT&T ipad mini. Having said that, the sim shows lte on the iPhone but when moved to AT&T ipad mini Lte would not show, only 4G. In other words, both my iphone & ipad mini are AT&T. I do not have verizon equipment. That is why I am thinkng that the APN choice on unlockit.co.nz for AT&T +hspa is not updated to include LTE. What go you guys think?

I think so. Maybe att lte has different apn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.