Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
Sorry, I don't understand what you meant. Could you explain please?

Normally, when a new product is announced, and it goes on the webpage, all the information on the site is written in English on the Danish apple page. They just updated the Danish iMac page, so it now is written in Danish. Better? ;)

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
The cynical part of me really wonders why they added that 5400rpm HD.
Why not make the 7200 the entry model standard?

To get 1TB standard in their slim form factor that required a 2.5" HDD. It's also worth noting that the 500gb in the 2011 base model is only a Caviar Blue so it wasn't anything special either.

Also I want to mention that I think the doubled capacity might give it almost equal performance (in certain situations) to a 500gb 7200rpm

Last edited:

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
To get 1TB standard in their slim form factor that required a 2.5" HDD. It's also worth noting that the 500gb in the 2011 base model is only a Caviar Blue so it wasn't anything special either.

Also I want to mention that I think the doubled capacity might give it almost equal performance (in certain situations) to a 500gb 7200rpm

Interesting.
I'm waiting for the 21.5" model, adding 16gb RAM. Was advised by Apple rep to upgrade processor to i7 if I want to use photoshop efficiently, but not to worry about the Hard drive.
So confused by conflicting advice.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Interesting.
I'm waiting for the 21.5" model, adding 16gb RAM. Was advised by Apple rep to upgrade processor to i7 if I want to use photoshop efficiently, but not to worry about the Hard drive.
So confused by conflicting advice.

I would say spend your money on Fusion not the i7 upgrade if you had to choose one or the other. If you can go for both, by all means.

I am going for a 21.5" 650m model with Fusion and 16gb of ram. Depending upon the pricing, I may consider an i7 (although I really do not foresee any workload I have that would utilize the additional threads). Can't wait to order it!

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Don't listen to that crap.

Heh. 4 different reps, 4 different opinions. My head is spinning! I will admit that tech isn't my strong point, and this will be my first Apple desktop (used macbook pro - and recently the Air - for many yrs though). I do work with layers, but not RAW images, just digital illustration, photomontage, etc. Won't be using the iMac for anything else, not even web browsing or games.

It will be Fusion or i7 for me, for I don't think I can afford both a this point.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Heh. 4 different reps, 4 different opinions. My head is spinning! I will admit that tech isn't my strong point, and this will be my first Apple desktop (used macbook pro - and recently the Air - for many yrs though). I do work with layers, but not RAW images, just digital illustration, photomontage, etc. Won't be using the iMac for anything else, not even web browsing or games.

It will be Fusion or i7 for me, for I don't think I can afford both a this point.

I would lean toward Fusion if I were in your situation. Maybe someone else can chime in too?

MacDouble

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012

Take the Fusion Drive.
If you are a hardcore video or photoshop editor take both. Fusion AND i7.
The difference between a normal HDD and a SSD is much bigger than the difference between an i5 and i7.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Thanks for advice! (and apologies for thread hogging)

I don't use video, but will definitely look into the Fusion option.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Time for a "draft Woz" campaign.

Woz has been drinking some funky Kool-Aid lately. I'm not sure I want him around. He may have been an exceptional computer engineer, but I don't believe he possesses any talents that would help Apple at this juncture.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
So funny!

"What We Expect

Apple's next iMac is expected to be introduced at the company's October 23 media event, although it is unclear exactly when the new models will be available. We've been hearing that the 21.5-inch models will be availability immediately, while new 27-inch models may not launch until several weeks later."

This was taken from the iMac roundup prior to the October 23rd event. Immediate availability of the 21.5" models...lmao! More like availability a little over a month after the announcement. I believe Apple prematurely announced the new iMacs against the tide of Windows 8 devices, so not to lose prospective buyers and momentum, as many have grown weary with the protracted lapse in between a hardware refresh. This wait stinks, but at least I get to save up a little more money. I really can't wait until the 21.5" models are released. I pray shipping times are not prolonged. For all we know, Apple may release the new models just prior to Black Friday as they update their store for the promotion.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
This was taken from the iMac roundup prior to the October 23rd event.

That's what you get from reading stupid blog/rumor sites.

Apple will make the iMac available when it's ready. Last time I checked, there are still 10 days left in November.

nonillogical

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012

Get the Fusion Drive.

I'm a graphic designer, and I use a 2011 iMac i5 at work, upgraded to 16gb ram. I deal with psds approaching 1gb with thousands of layers all the time and it handles them respectably well. This is with Illustrator and Indesign, even Flash open at the same time. You'll be fine even with minimum specs.

----------

Anyone have theories on whether the 21.5 will have an option to upgrade the video card to something with 1gb of memory? I'm no authority on video cards but I'm a little alarmed by that spec considering I got a 1gb card in my PC almost 2 years ago. I intend to be able to do some gaming (new Sim City!).

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Anyone have theories on whether the 21.5 will have an option to upgrade the video card to something with 1gb of memory? I'm no authority on video cards but I'm a little alarmed by that spec considering I got a 1gb card in my PC almost 2 years ago. I intend to be able to do some gaming (new Sim City!).

All of the BTO options are on the spec page (just without prices). The only BTO graphics option is on the top 27". There's no simple VRAM upgrades.

For a game like SimCity, the 650M with 512MB should be fine.

----------

Is it too late for Apple to update the store now?

Yes. Given that the vast majority of the US-based non-retail employees have this entire week off, an update today would have been very surprising anyway.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Get the Fusion Drive.

I'm a graphic designer, and I use a 2011 iMac i5 at work, upgraded to 16gb ram. I deal with psds approaching 1gb with thousands of layers all the time and it handles them respectably well. This is with Illustrator and Indesign, even Flash open at the same time. You'll be fine even with minimum specs.

----------

From the looks of the 27" internals from the Apple 10/23 event, it looks like the GPU will be soldered to the logic board as there seems to be no MXM slot like (most) previous models.

I could be wrong though, but it sure looks like it:

Screen-Shot-2012-10-24-at-1.34.31-AM.png

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
Why is Apple pushing its Black Friday event so hard this year? Have they always done this in the past. They mention orders after midnight Pacific time? If its just the normal day to day stuff, only discounted, why the "after midnight PST"?

May be reading too much into it, I just don't recall this being done last year ( doesn't mean it didn't happen)

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Why is Apple pushing its Black Friday event so hard this year? Have they always done this in the past. They mention orders after midnight Pacific time? If its just the normal day to day stuff, only discounted, why the "after midnight PST"?

May be reading too much into it, I just don't recall this being done last year ( doesn't mean it didn't happen)

I have a very slight suspicion we may see a Black Friday iMac launch. Although many people on here will say "no!".

Anyhow, at this point, we have 10 more days in November with Friday being the only likely release day left for this week. Otherwise, we are looking at probably Tuesday the 27th or Friday the 30th.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I have a very slight suspicion we may see a Black Friday iMac launch. Although many people on here will say "no!".

Umm.. no. Apple doesn't launch Macs on Fridays, let alone Black ones.

You'd actually have to be pretty crazy to try to organize a retail product launch during the 3rd busiest retail day of the year.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Umm.. no. Apple doesn't launch Macs on Fridays, let alone Black ones.

You'd actually have to be pretty crazy to try to organize a retail product launch during the 3rd busiest retail day of the year.

I know. Hence extreme slight suspicion.

But for the most part, we can all agree that Apple really doesn't give a flying ---- (fill in the blanks) about Black Friday.

Also as a note, the 2012 MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs released on a Monday (6/11/12), so I wouldn't be shocked to see the 21.5" iMac release on Friday, November 30th, the last day of the month.

Yes I do realize every iMac prior was released on a Tuesday, but I think these days all patterns and past release dates have been thrown out the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.