Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I updated two days ago. I have had nothing but problems since the update. I did not know this was a new update. Normally I put them off for a few months until the kinks are worked out.

Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012

- Safari crashes repeatedly. Unable to use reader.
- Mail App Crashes repeatedly. Mailboxes go offline refuse to go back online. Requests login password
- Mac OS X requests keychain login password
- Wifi suddenly disconnects and keeps searching. Attempts to turn off wifi causes system preferences to crash. Only solution is to reboot laptop to be able to connect to wifi
- External hard drive via USB has dropped several times

Overall system is now unstable.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Don't know this would be helpful for cMBP users or not, but I found unchecking the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" function in Energy Saver will avoid the machine going into "deep sleep", especially for cMBP running on SSD.

After unchecking this my cMBP wakes from sleep in just seconds of time, no matter it has slept for 8 hours or so.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 12.26.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 12.26.16 PM.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 124

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Mine is exactly the same (same model too).

Previously, it would simply 'sleep', even overnight, and make in a few seconds.

Now since this update, it seems to hibernate after an hour or so, and then takes up to a minute to fully 'resume' once the lid is opened. I'm not sure why this has changed, or if it is possible to revert to the previous behaviour?

You can push the time after wich it goes into standby to a higher value. You need to calculate the value expressed in seconds.

sudo pmset -a standbydelay <time in seconds>

Example to only go into standby mode after 10 hours:

sudo pmset -a standbydelay 36000

Last edited:

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
I just watched it disappear from the App Store on my rMBP.. Either it refreshed .. Or my computer is one reboot from hell lol

Ive just got my rMBP back from apple today and was wanting to test out this update to see if it reduced the lag as some people are saying it does.

It now looks like im out of luck unless I can get the file from somewhere else?

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
Ive just got my rMBP back from apple today and was wanting to test out this update to see if it reduced the lag as some people are saying it does.

It now looks like im out of luck unless I can get the file from somewhere else?

You're not out of luck .. Apple pulled the update. Because it's broken. Hold onto your stable OSX install for now until a new STABLE update comes out. Scroll above this post to calisurfboy's LIST of issues (not to mention a quick google).. You JUST got your Mac back, unless you have an unhealthy obsession with the Genius Bar, I'd avoid the update.. Which even Apple is trying to stop lol. Is it worth more headaches to solve a few frames dropped here or there on an otherwise stable machine? (Sorry I'm going off the deep end, but it utterly baffled my mind that you'd still want to update after the last 7 pages of this thread).

Like I said in another post.. I edit video day in and out with this macbook .. You couldn't pay me to do the update. Especially with the alleged throttling now happening with that update (see link below).

http://gadgetinsiders.com/retina-macbook-pro-efi-update-causes-graphical-glitches-say-some-users/1202680/

Last edited:

iSquirrelu

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Updated my rMBP, nothing but grief, every time I reboot have to reset SMC to see my USB drives again :mad:

Luckily did not update my partners rMBP, now that would have caused domestic pain.

fatbax

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
I did the update a few days back i wanted to update my iphoto and imovie so i left the macbook on charge this is a 15" MBP mid2012 and when i returned and hit the mouse nothing was on so i then pressed the power button and it came on with loading bar just as if the battery had died but it was on charge the whole time...

i need help please any suggestions are welcome

Last edited:

iSquirrelu

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I did the update a few days back i wanted to update my iphoto and imovie so i left the macbook on charge this is a 15" MBP mid2012 and when i returned and hit the mouse nothing was on so i then pressed the power button and it came on with loading bar just as if the battery had died but it was on charge the whole time...

i need help please any suggestions are welcome

Reset SMC, try it a few times (3) if no joy reset PRAM and then SMC, worked for me

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
I updated my 15" retina a week or so ago. It's been a horrible update. I've had the keychain problems, as well as severe GPU throttling (I don't have many tasks CPU-bound, so I haven't been able to check that).

If you've downloaded the update and have been thinking of applying it - don't.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
MBP Update...

The updated 13" MBP w/Retina sure seems like a viable update to me. With its slimmer profile, laminated less reflective display and weight reduction are fairly significant in my view. Fully configured, or nearly fully configured is about the only way I would/may go. Not sure if the SSD 750 upgrade is worth the $500.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Macbook Pro 2.0 2.0 just appeared as an available download. Not sure if its a fix. But too scared to download seeing all these previous problems the one in November caused.

carter2

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I just downloaded the update and just at the end after using up 130 Megabytes of my limited satellite allowance I received an error message and have to start all over. This is not the first time this has happened. I am so tired of Apples slow error prone servers.

rscott4563

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Cumbria
I downloaded the update for my 15" rMBP last week and I haven't had any problems with throttling, graphics slow downs or anything else like that. I also haven't had to reset my SMC or PRAM since the update.

I've got the 2.6Ghz 16GB rMBP and I'm running Windows 8 on bootcamp and via Parallels 8. I've been playing The Witcher 2, Deus Ex and Skyrim with no issues whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.