Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Playing mkv files

I also have a 1st gen Apple TV (enhanced with ATVflash) and could not play mkv files. I tried Handbrake, Visual Hub, Subler etc and had mixed success. I tried using my laptop connected to the TV and that worked, I also connected my ipad to the tv and used AVplayerHD to play the mkv files. This also worked. Both these methods work but are a bit of a nuisance to set up and use.

Then , last week I got a new DLNA compliant TV (Sony EX645 series ) which plays mkv files. Now I can either load the mkv files onto a USB key ( or external USB hard drive ), connect the key to the TV and the files play and look great. Or I can use EyeConnect to turn my Mac into a media server and stream mkv files directly from the Mac to the TV where again they play beautifully. The TV can also, play music and show photos using these methods.

I had been waiting for Firecore to break the Apple TV 3 but now that is not necessary. I do not need an AppleTV. The interface on the Sony is not up to Apple standards but it works. so check your TV manual, you may be able to use this method.

I think some blueray players can also play mkv files from a USB key.

Edit: I now use an external hard drive instead of a USB key. A local dealer had a good price on a 128 gig SSD and this works very well. I connect the SSD to my Mac, load it with mkvs, then connect the SSD to the TV. For the streaming option I find the PS3mediaserver works better than Eyeconnect.

Last edited:

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Thank you Dc but ironically the point of owning my ATV2 is for the convenience and its organization. I like to collect the files not copy and paste Zip drives over and over because for me I might as well just insert the DVD. Thank you for the tip, my Sony tv is a few years old anyway.
ironically I have ripped half my Bluray collection so far with MAKEMKV, Handbreak, SUBLER and have had great success with the formula in regards to ATV playback. It's just the downloaded MKV files that have already been formulated to a size of 3-6gigs that quality wise are amazing that I cannot mirror in a m4v container.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
At what point are you getting a red stop sign using Subler? Are you able to open a .mkv in the program and see the video and audio tracks?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It's just the downloaded MKV files that have already been formulated to a size of 3-6gigs that quality wise are amazing that I cannot mirror in a m4v container.

"Scene" MKV's generally all have H.264 video - even ones made from VC-1 discs. In addition, they tend to have either AC-3 or DTS audio (but not the original BD HD, if any or the dumbed-down AAC) and 3GPP (textual) subs. Some also have additional embedded font files (which shouldn't make them incompatible with Subler) and info files from the release group (Subler-compliant too).

Could you cut out a, say, the first 100 Mbyte section of the incompatible MKV's and, after testing whether it doesn't work, upload it to Dropbox (or anywhere) for us to test? I've posted some tutorials on cutting MKV's here at MR; I can post a link to them.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I also recommend Subler. It remuxes to m4v with no encoding/transcoding. Takes seconds to covert. The m4v files stream perfectly to my new Apple TV (via iTunes).

Subler is free and super easy to use.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
At what point are you getting a red stop sign using Subler? Are you able to open a .mkv in the program and see the video and audio tracks?

Yes I can load one and see the h.264 VIDEO Track and Ac3 surround AUDIO track. I check each dont add any metedata and send it to the QUE window hit start and then the RED STOP instantly comes up ?!

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Hmm, that's strange. You would encounter the stop sign if your video was mpeg2 instead of h.264, but you said that you see the video file with h.264 format. When you add the file to the queue, do you have 64 bit chunk box checked? Try that, as it's required for output files greater than 4GB. if that doesn't work, I'd triple check that the codec on your file is truly h.264.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Hmm, that's strange. You would encounter the stop sign if your video was mpeg2 instead of h.264, but you said that you see the video file with h.264 format. When you add the file to the queue, do you have 64 bit chunk box checked? Try that, as it's required for output files greater than 4GB. if that doesn't work, I'd triple check that the codec on your file is truly h.264.

Thanks Omega! I know the files are bigger than 4g so that could be it?! I will try today thanks!

wildparadox

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Thanks Omega! I know the files are bigger than 4g so that could be it?! I will try today thanks!

I don't know if you're still having this problem, but I found this forum while working on the same problem and now have a solution.

If you are running Mountain Lion, your issue may have to do with an error in the A52 audio component. On Subler's repository they posted a link to a solution here. It's a patched version of the A52Codec.component.

I was having the red stop-sign issue on a 16GB file and after replacing this component file and restarting Subler, everything ran perfectly.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i used to think the Apple TV was useless to me as i only have avi and mkv and i honestly couldnt be bothered with converting everything which would have taken forever

but then i came across "muxing" and the iFlicks app and 5 hours later i owned an apple tv. only takes like 5 minutes to turn a 12 GB mkv into an itunes supported format with perfect metatags

also managed to get netflix working from germany :) thx to an us buddy allowing me to use his paypal ^^

now my wd digital live box basically just sits here collecting dust

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Has anyone created a Conf file for Playstation media server that will work with Apple TV 3????

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
i used to think the Apple TV was useless to me as i only have avi and mkv and i honestly couldnt be bothered with converting everything which would have taken forever

but then i came across "muxing" and the iFlicks app and 5 hours later i owned an apple tv. only takes like 5 minutes to turn a 12 GB mkv into an itunes supported format with perfect metatags

also managed to get netflix working from germany :) thx to an us buddy allowing me to use his paypal ^^

now my wd digital live box basically just sits here collecting dust
Yup, iFlicks is amazing. I've got it setup with some Apple scripts and it's doing wonderful things automatically.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yes iFlicks or iVI are great.

Still, anyone into MKV remuxing should give a try to Subler and (strictly) the beta version of MP4Tools instead. They're 3-5 times faster than both iFlicks and iVI (I've tested the latest versions), particularly if you try to remux MKV's with preserving more than a few subtitle tracks. The latter will slow down iVI to a crawl. Besides, Subler is free and MP4Tools is $5 only and both can be used in batch mode.

I've very thoroughly tested all these apps and written several reviews of them. I can copy them here so that I can back up the figures I mentioned in the post.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Still, anyone into MKV remuxing should give a try to Subler and (strictly) the beta version of MP4Tools instead. They're 3-5 times faster than both iFlicks and iVI (I've tested the latest versions), particularly if you try to remux MKV's with preserving more than a few subtitle tracks. The latter will slow down iVI to a crawl. Besides, Subler is free and MP4Tools is $5 only and both can be used in batch mode.

I have been using iVI which gives a perfect quality but is extreemly slow (12 GB MKV takes op to 12 hours using 2 pass conversion). I have taken a look at MP4tools, but it seems less userfriendly to me as it doesn't add any extra info to the movie and no picture, neither does it automatically place it within iTunes.
I couldn't find any ATV3 specific setiing as with iVI.

Any thoughts :confused:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have been using iVI which gives a perfect quality but is extreemly slow (12 GB MKV takes op to 12 hours using 2 pass conversion). I have taken a look at MP4tools, but it seems less userfriendly to me as it doesn't add any extra info to the movie and no picture, neither does it automatically place it within iTunes.
I couldn't find any ATV3 specific setiing as with iVI.

Any thoughts :confused:

MP4tools has a steep learning curve but it's an EXCELLENT and very powerful conversion tool with a lot of extra features not present in other converters / remuxers. And, as has been stated by me, the beta is at least three times faster than iVi / iFlicks.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I jailbroke to play MKV's using plex, but it was buggy, so now I just airplay them from plex on my ipad.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Another recommendation for iFlicks, perfect for what I need it to do. Converts the video to m4v quickly, adds an AC3 channel if need be and then adds it to my iTunes library on my NAS ready for the ATV to pick it up. Great app and well worth the money

Apostata

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
I have to say the iFlicks would be my choice...if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't read subtitles. They say it does/can, but I have yet to have it work.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I have to say the iFlicks would be my choice...if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't read subtitles. They say it does/can, but I have yet to have it work.

Actually iFlicks does subtitles well, you just have to read the instructions on how to name them and where they should be located directory wise.

I use almost all the apps dealing with MKV files and each work better in different situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.