Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a survey done by Nielsen, U.S. consumers aged 6-12 are significantly more interested in purchasing Apple's iOS products over the next 6 months. The new Nintendo Wii U took the #2 spot, but lagged well behind the iPad. Meanwhile, the iPod Touch, iPad Mini and the iPhone rounded out the rest of the top 5 most wanted products for this age group.

NewImage29.png
Approximately half the children surveyed expressed interest in the full-sized iPad (up from 44% last year), and 36 percent in the new iPad Mini. The iPod Touch and iPhone are also coveted devices among these young consumers (36% and 33%, respectively). Kids are also likely to ask for dedicated gaming hardware this holiday, with 39 percent excited to own Nintendo's just-released console offering, Wii U, and 29 percent indicating they want a device from that company's portable DS family. Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 also proved appealing, with approximately one-quarter of kids 6-12 saying they want these high definition consoles.
Nielsen also surveyed persons aged 13+ and found the iPad also topped that list. The remainder of the 13+ year old list was less dramatically in favor of Apple than the 6-12 year old group.

In a separate survey of (presumably) adults, Reuters found that one third of U.S. consumers were thinking of buying a tablet this holiday season. Amongst those who wanted a tablet, the iPad was again the most popular with 25% of respondents planning to purchase one. Second and third place went to the Kindle (15%) and Samsung (15%) tablets. Finally, Apple's new iPad mini came in at 8% amongst respondents.

Article Link: Kids and Adults Want iPads More Than Anything Else This Holiday Season

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its a "No Brainer"

Of Course...

WE Love iPads :) (even us adults)

Someone decided to do a graph cos their board .... oh well..

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
iPad on the top of the most wanted list and Microsoft Surface on the bottom? This is a surprise only to Ballmer.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

They have the means; they're known as parents. If the kids howl loudly and persistently enough, the parents are the ones who will buy the devices. And apparently, this "sluggish" economy hasn't stopped adults from snapping up Apple products by the boatload.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I want to buy an Apple TV no one said ever. :p

Seriously they need to either get some go on the Apple TV or drop it.

Regarding Apple TV, Apple has so far delivered everything they promised. On the other hand, they haven't actually promised anything. We have seen rumors, we have seen rather clueless analysts, there have been endless discussions, but Apple hasn't actually announced or promised anything.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

Parents + Christmas + Reasonably-affordable-iDevice = $ale$

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
When I was a kid, we were happy to get a bowl of soup and a piece of hard candy.

Now kids are so fat they can barely leave the house and all they want are things that will insure that they remain fat.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
I think this speaks most to Apples advertising campaigns vs. competitors. Apple just appeals to kids and what they perceive as the "coolest" or "best" product regardless of whether it is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.