Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Where I live my parents give 100 dollars to me for spending in Christmas...can't believe some people give iPads lol...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
All this really is, is brand awareness. Shocking headline, young kids want what they see parents, older siblings and other people using. That has been the trend forever. It is no different than a kid seeing a McDonalds and wanting to go there to eat over someplace else. It is a brand they know. I mean ask my 6 year old daughter and she will say she wants a Monster High Doll, a princess dress and an iPad...what does that mean?

It means she really wants a doll, but Dad has an iPad she uses sometimes, so she wants one too. (but isn't getting one)

Frankly a more valuable study would have been people who INTEND TO BUY such devices for the holidays. No doubt Apple will be at the top, but I bet the order would be a bit different.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I really wonder why the Apple TV doesn't have more heat. It's such a great product, packed with a ton of potential. Get a couple contracts signed with broadcasters, and boom goes the dynamite.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
I think this speaks most to Apples advertising campaigns vs. competitors. Apple just appeals to kids and what they perceive as the "coolest" or "best" product regardless of whether it is true.

Different times, different lives...

popnfresh

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2004
San Francisco
money to burn

Any family that buys an iPad for their 6-year old kid deserves to have their tax bracket doubled. Because, clearly, they have more money than they know what to do with.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I really wonder why the Apple TV doesn't have more heat. It's such a great product, packed with a ton of potential. Get a couple contracts signed with broadcasters, and boom goes the dynamite.

Key word here is potential. I love my Apple TV's but they fall short of being the central home media device in just a few areas that so far Apple has refused to support.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Any family that buys an iPad for their 6-year old kid deserves to have their tax bracket doubled. Because, clearly, they have more money than they know what to do with.

Yes, instead let's give them all footballs and dolls and ensure the entire future generation ends up as chauvinistic, subservient and stupid as this one.<wry grin of course>

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I'm happy to see that there is still quite a bit of Nintendo love out there. I was worried that the Wii U might be DOA.

The only reason why the AppleTV is so low on this list is because Apaple does not market it AT ALL. Seriously, when was the last time you saw an AppleTV ad on TV or in print?

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Apple's holiday quarter will be gigantic. Virtually their entire lineup is new, and the demand, as these surveys say, is high.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm shocked. You mean kids aged 6-12 don't want a dedicated eReader? Or an Apple TV?

The iPad and iPhone are seen by that age group as fun because their parents have one and they have great games. And they're portable.

Kids want what their parents have.

Obviously (or maybe not to some I guess) Apple's products are big "on mind" devices. But since very few 6-12 aged children actually purchase anything - all this survey represents is desire. Nothing more - nothing less.

And in comparison (chart not in the MR article)

The iPad has stiff competition - as does the iphone - since ~22 percent want smartphones that aren't an iPhone compared to 14 percent that do.

Holiday-Devices-P13+.png

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I went into the Microsoft store and played with a Surface and with a laptop running Windows 8. Those operating systems, RT & 8, are unbelievably cumbersome an unintuitive. At least the devices were responsive. I also recently played with a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch tablet and though easy to navigate, it was horrible to use. Most Apps were laggy, the scrolling jerky, and the overall performance slow. Compared to an iPad or iPad mini, ...well there is no comparison. If people have the ability to actually use these devices, Apple will sell even more than the survey indicates.

Lifequest

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Can kids 6-12 years really understand the differences between these...

iPhone: 33%
vs
Smartphone other than iPhone: 20%
Android smartphone: 16%
Other Mobile Phone: 8%

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Kids aged 6-12 need an @ss kicking for the holidays because they are turning into entitled little jerks. Kids just aren't what they used to be.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
People want WiiU more than the iPhone? Madness, in a good way! It'll be interesting to see how the WiiU performs. It's basically disrupting tablet gaming, Harmony remotes as well as the usual console gaming market. If anyone can innovate and disrupt (touchscreen, gyroscopes in games etc) it's Nintendo.

And I rather like my iPad too. Already owning one and not a WiiU (released next week here) I'd have to swap the top 2 positions around.

A shame the Vita is so low. Right now it's my most played console - just a huge wealth of a legacy library, emulated (PS1) library and some very high quality Vita developed games.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
iPads would be even more interesting if they ran all my MacOSX and MacOS Classic applications. The iPad has the memory and processing power to do the emulation. Apple just needs to support it and support data centric models like we have on the MacOS. This would vastly increase the usability of the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.