Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I was going to buy an iPad this Christmas (my first one), but I'm hearing rumours about the 5th gen. coming out as early as March 2013! I'd be very annoyed after owning an iPad for only 3 months before these updates arrive to the iPad:

-thinner and lighter body;
-iPad Mini design (anodized back);
-IGZO (?) screens, which are more efficient and very good, supposedly; and
-a better battery life.

Do you think Apple will update the iPad by spring or has the iPad 4 set a new release schedule for the (at least full-sized) iPad lineup?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
The iPad came early this year, which means that no one outside of apple and it's suppliers really know when the next one will come out. I doubt that it will be in March. They would have just finished rolling out the iPad 4 worldwide by then, and to have to start the whole process over again so soon wouldn't really make sense.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I was going to buy an iPad this Christmas (my first one), but I'm hearing rumours about the 5th gen. coming out as early as March 2013! I'd be very annoyed after owning an iPad for only 3 months before these updates arrive to the iPad:

-a better battery life.

Do you think Apple will update the iPad by spring or has the iPad 4 set a new release schedule for the (at least full-sized) iPad lineup?

First of all you aren't going to get thinner, lighter AND better battery life. Nobody knows what battery gains an IGZO display will have, if such a display is even in the offing. As far as a March introduction. Just not happening.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Just buy it now if you want it. I doubt it'll be redone by then but if it is you'll still have an awesome device.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

If you let rumors about the next generation control your buying decision, you will never buy any technology.

SJism23 said:

So, instead of basing your purchase decision on whether you need/want an iPad, you'll base it on guesses from strangers on the Internet? Good move.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's always funny to hear people standing in line asking themselves if they should wait for the next model.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted

shenan1982 said:
It's always funny to hear people standing in line asking themselves if they should wait for the next model.

This is the mess that Apple has created.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted

This is the mess that Apple has created.

This is a mess? I don't think it's a mess at all.

I think it's FANTASTIC that Apple has finally gotten away from the "we're just releasing one per year no matter how outdated the product becomes" ... it's so funny people like you were complaining when Apple only released Laptop spec bumps every other year, now you're complaining that they're updating products too often?

Not sure what technology world you want to exist, but I would love to know that in most cases I can walk into the Apple store and buy their product with confidence that it's the latest technology, and know that when new technology becomes available that they update.

So would you like to see Apple go back to offering only ONE iPad model at any time? And only refreshing that one iPad model once per year? I guess that would keep your iPad "current" a lot longer, but for someone like me I wouldn't own an iPad because I have no interest in the full size model, hence why I buy the Mini.

Not a mess.... just makes yours obsolete quicker... and I don't think anyone wants to go back to your old-fashioned world. :)

----------

So, instead of basing your purchase decision on whether you need/want an iPad, you'll base it on guesses from strangers on the Internet? Good move.

Americans have gone away from taking personal accountability for anything, and rely on others (or the government) to guide their way in life for them. It's a sad state we've come to. Should I get an iPad now, or wait? Uhm, that's a silly question. Get one if you need\want one, otherwise wait. Chances are you won't die if you don't get one, and your life won't be miraculously enhanced having one, so if you have the cash laying around and don't owe it to anyone else, then either buy it or wait... but if you rely on someone else telling you if you should buy it, then you need to not buy it, and learn to live your life independently of others telling you what you should do. (edit: comments directed at OP, not quotee)

FYI - I LOVE your quote in your signature, it's 100% applicable in this thread, hehe.

Davirdv

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Tbh I think they should concentrate more on bug fixes and the software side of things a little more. I couldn't care less if they release bi-yearly, I personnally generally skip a generation of their products anyway.

I don't think you should wait, if you want an iPad now, buy one. If they release an update in 3 months, yours will be 3months old and you can sell it with not much loss, if they don't release the 5 till sept/nov then you've had the lastest for a year.

Simples

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
March ? I really doubt their will be a new one 5 months later...More than likely fall next year...Just get the latest one and enjoy it...You won't be disappointed, it's mega fast and is miles ahead of the competition.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Mess? MESS? Because some people can't make a purchase decision it's Apple's fault?:rolleyes:

You can deflect all you want but I am just pointing out the reality. I have no issues making my purchase decisions but the inconsistencies in Apple's delivery has in fact caused a lot of people to take a much more cautious approach in timing their purchases. THIS is the MESS that Apple has created. Whether the fanboy in you can accept that or not is irrelevant. I am merely pointing out an observation. Consumers are not in control here - they are just reacting to better predict Apple's product cycle. The iPad 4 is essentially an iPad 3S. Why wouldn't a consumer be apprehensive about making a purchase when the 5 could come out by mid next year? Another example, iPad mini. Instead of Apple releasing the best they could offer, they're capitalizing on peoples addiction of Apple products and purposely sand bagging their technology. They market one marketable attribute at a time and wait to release the others. Why regress back to a smaller iPad 2 when they could have aimed for a retina iPad mini? Because they can make a crap ton of money on the mini's release for the holidays then count on the same folks that will upgrade to a mini retina next year. Don't get me wrong, this makes a lot of business sense, but do not deny the fact that is causing cold feet on the consumers side. Again, this is the mess that Apple has created. It makes great business sense for them now but people are beginning to wise up. Hence why threads like this exist - to time Apples product releases so they can capture all the great tech that Apple has to offer with one purchase.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Get the 4 and be happy. I just bought one (first iPad ever) and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it for X months between now and who knows when. If they release something awesome, I can always upgrade for not a whole lot out of pocket. If they don't release something awesome, I can just keep using my awesome 4.

Keep in mind, the iPad 4 was just released, and anytime something is just released is a great time to buy.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
When you've lost the argument, insult. Imagine my surprise.

Yes, because saying that people are incapable of making their own decisions and using this :rolleyes: is not insulting. To top it off, you keep that... in your signature. At least you live by your own mantra, when you LOSE the election, you insult.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted

reputationZed said:
When you've lost the argument, insult. Imagine my surprise.
Agreed, any post that relies on "Fan boy...", "Steve Jobs would never..." or "I guarantee..." logic has pretty much lost all credibility. Thankfully these words of wisdom often come early in the post, a good indication there's not much point in reading the rest.

Lol don't know what to tell you but I am a self proclaimed "fanboy". I refuse to buy a different brand simply because I like the Apple ecosystem and very well immersed in it. I however will not simply dismiss any argument against Apple and think that Apple can do no wrong. I am calling it like I am seeing it.

Not going to get in an argument outside of the OP's original post so I will leave this thread for you guys. Good luck.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
If you had an ipad, I would say better to wait, unless your willing to upgrade in the spring. Ipad 5 will likely bring a major form factor redesign. However, a first ipad could be a fun holiday thing.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

-a better battery life.

If I may offer a suggestion, since this would be your first iPad, you may wish to look into purchasing a refurbished iPas 2 or iPad 3 now. Then, monitor the rumors here on MacRumors.com to get an idea of when the next version of the iPad will be released and what updates it may have.

I personally would like an iPad mini, but I was disappointed in the display and choice of processor. Since I already have an iPad 2, I'm willing to wait to see what the next version brings.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
buy now, the ipad 4 is an amazing device even if they somehow brought out a new one. Which I doubt they will until this time next year...makes no sense to re do it again.

even with a 5 out the 4 won't be far off it.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Just wait for the iPad 5 and when that comes out wait for the 6 and then 7 etc. There will always be a newer model around the corner.

Until an official announcement from Apple comes around, just get the current model and enjoy it. If and when the new model comes out weigh whether or not the new features are more beneficial to you and upgrade to the new version and sell the current one your using or pass it down to a friend or family member.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.